where to find good trainers? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Training Tips and Advice

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
where to find good trainers?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Bidik
Cora

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
where to find good trainers?

Hello. I have to admit defeat. I thought I could groom and train and be the ultimate humn for Cora, who is now 7.5 months old. Grooming is not going too bad but training... we need help. He knows all the basic comments. sit, stay, come, go, run, jump, off (the couch), leave it. But he only listens to me when we are alone at home. Outside is a different story. It got started about a month ago. He pulls his harness, he jumps on people, if he is off the leash he would run after runners and cyclists and does not come back to me unless I start running the opposite way, today he pulled his bed apart, after each time he drinks water he flips the bowl upside down (and get thirsty soon), he ran away from home once. OMG, look at my list, what have I done?
I am living in Oakville, GTA in Canada. Do you know any good trainers that can save us both?
Bidik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidik View Post
Hello. I have to admit defeat. I thought I could groom and train and be the ultimate humn for Cora, who is now 7.5 months old. Grooming is not going too bad but training... we need help. He knows all the basic comments. sit, stay, come, go, run, jump, off (the couch), leave it. But he only listens to me when we are alone at home. Outside is a different story. It got started about a month ago. He pulls his harness, he jumps on people, if he is off the leash he would run after runners and cyclists and does not come back to me unless I start running the opposite way, today he pulled his bed apart, after each time he drinks water he flips the bowl upside down (and get thirsty soon), he ran away from home once. OMG, look at my list, what have I done?
I am living in Oakville, GTA in Canada. Do you know any good trainers that can save us both?
A trainer is certainly a good idea to help you through this, and Dave Gabby can help you find soeone if you PM him. But I hate to tell you... The biggest problem is that Cora is entering adolescence, and it's likely to get worse before it gets better!

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
Beau's mom
Beau's Mom

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Absolutely - get a trainer! But, Karen is right. Beau's trainer likes to call him her "favorite bad boy!" Let the trainer help you with one problem at a time and you will feel much better about things. Beau is now 2 years old and he's stretching adolescence into a lifetime plan, it seems. I called the trainer the other day and explained that now we need help to stop his constant tug of war games with the leash and his tie-out rope!! Hang in there!!!!!!

They're not my dogs -- I'm their person
Lorraine
Beau's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
FancyNancy
Henry's Mom

Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
This too shall pass! But don;t forget - puppyhood goes by very quickly. And even though it seems chaotic and crazy, try to laugh and enjoy the antics. Pretty soon you will have a nice companionable dog. Try to enjoy some of puppyhood while it lasts!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Kodi was tougher during adolescence too... and his went from about 8-18 months. Of course, I had purposely chosen a puppy with higher energy and more drive because I wanted a performance dog, so I suspect his adolescent phase lasted longer than some!

Old 01-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
Bidik
Cora

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
He too plays tug wars with his leash. And we are using a harness – it shouldn’t be causing any discomfort. Yesterday we went for a 90 minute walk and he didn’t sit down a minute after that. My sweet boy whom no one could have enough of, turned into a beast. People with rottweilers are changing their ways to avoid us. He is jumping on anything that moves and he is neutered. This is so embarrassing. Two days ago, one day after his bath, he found a small dirty pond and decided to play hippo. I wouldn’t find my dog in the mud if the nose was not sticking out. I am breathless. I think I will send his picture to the dog shaming site. That’s the only way I could think of to enjoy these times.
Bidik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
Tuss

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
word of mouth is the best way to find a trainer. find people with really well trained/well behaved dogs in your area and just ask them.

Sounds like your puppy entered adolescence. he is gaining independence and testing boundaries. They can be very frustrating during this time. It does get better.

Tuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
mcc.christina

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel your pain! Eloise is 8 months now and I am hoping this is the adolescent stage or else I just messed up somewhere.

More barking...and growling. She has started to lunge at my face, biting sweaters (while I am wearing them), ignoring "off" commands (to where I have to physically correct).

I have come to the realization that with jumping on people, we have to train others just as much as training our dog. Everyone gives her attention when she does this because "she is just so cute". I feel rude sometimes, but I have to start asking people to ignore her until I get her to sit nicely.

...and she has started to hump her donut bed even though she is spayed.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
Georgette

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I was first married, we had two dogs. After that we both swore that we would never have another dog again. Today I realize most of the problems were "US". Through a networking group I am in, I met the most wonderful trainer! I would tell him, if we ever would get a dog, but we never will, he would be the first I would call. Well, two years ago I was investigating dog breeds. I loved everything I read about the havanese and decided that is the dog I want. I have customers and piano students in and out of my house all the time, so it was important that he is trained, especially not to jump on everyone. So, within 1 week of getting Kobi, the trainer was here. That was the best decision I have ever made! At 21 months old, Kobi is the most wonderful dog!! When people come to my house, I tell him to sit, he whimpers, because he is just dying for the attention, but he won't move until I tell him he can. Sometimes I never tell him he can, because some people don't want to be jumped on. I am in the process of trying to get him to sit when they pet him but he gets so excited. I could never have achieved this without the trainer. I now recommend a trainer to anyone getting a new dog. But, the training is only as good as the mom and dad. It isn't always easy, it takes discipline and structure, but it is all soooo worth it! He says there is never a dog too old or mean that he can't train. I also realize it was "ME" getting the training more than Kobi. Hope this is some help.
Georgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidik View Post
He too plays tug wars with his leash. And we are using a harness – it shouldn’t be causing any discomfort. Yesterday we went for a 90 minute walk and he didn’t sit down a minute after that. My sweet boy whom no one could have enough of, turned into a beast. People with rottweilers are changing their ways to avoid us. He is jumping on anything that moves and he is neutered. This is so embarrassing. Two days ago, one day after his bath, he found a small dirty pond and decided to play hippo. I wouldn’t find my dog in the mud if the nose was not sticking out. I am breathless. I think I will send his picture to the dog shaming site. That’s the only way I could think of to enjoy these times.
Did he look something like this?

(I think Kodi was about 9 months in these pics)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010 04 05 Buddy & Kodi_0005a.jpg (6.50 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2010 02 22 Muddy Kodi_0005a.jpg (3.98 MB, 0 views)

The Following User Nominates krandall Great Photo:
RitaandRiley (01-22-2013)