Pooping in a Show Coat - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Grooming

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
tokipoke
Senior Member
 
tokipoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 405
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Louis is not in show coat, but his hair back there is long! I eventually want to grow him into a show coat. But even at the length he has right now, it's a mess if he has soft stools. I had to deal with diarrhea and blood two weekends ago. Yuuuck! You can either trim it very short back there, or invest in a lot of baby wipes like I do. I also love using Chris Christensen Magic Foam. I use the baby wipes to wipe out the smears, then follow it up the Magic Foam. I work it into the coat and continue to wipe it out with baby wipes and a greyhound comb. You can follow up with blow drying the area. I like the foam because it deodorizes the area so it doesn't smell like poo. I find it works better than waterless shampoo, which leaves a soapy residue.

With my standard poodle, I have to deal with him peeing on his front leg. This is very common with male standard poodles. As the hair grows on the leg, it gets worse because there is more hair to get in their aim! My poodle also has terrible aim as it is.
__________________
The Babies!
tokipoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
tokipoke
Senior Member
 
tokipoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 405
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Right after I submitted my previous reply, I noticed Louis being restless in his crate and staring at me. I took him out and leashed him, and he danced at the door to be let out while I got my coat on. As soon as I let him out, he RAN to the grassy area and had watery diarrhea! I need to stop feeding him rich treats. It was SO gross, all of it smeared on the back area. He must have known I was on this topic.
__________________
The Babies!
tokipoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #13
krandall
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 14,179
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokipoke View Post
Louis is not in show coat, but his hair back there is long! I eventually want to grow him into a show coat. But even at the length he has right now, it's a mess if he has soft stools. I had to deal with diarrhea and blood two weekends ago. Yuuuck! You can either trim it very short back there, or invest in a lot of baby wipes like I do. I also love using Chris Christensen Magic Foam. I use the baby wipes to wipe out the smears, then follow it up the Magic Foam. I work it into the coat and continue to wipe it out with baby wipes and a greyhound comb. You can follow up with blow drying the area. I like the foam because it deodorizes the area so it doesn't smell like poo. I find it works better than waterless shampoo, which leaves a soapy residue.
is that really any easier than just popping them in the sink and washing their hiny with shampoo? I've also worried that you really don't deal with all the germs that way. What are your thoughts?
__________________
Karen & Kodi
(Starborn Kodak Moment BN, PCD, NAJ, CDX-C, RE, RL1X2, RL2X2, RL3X, ARCHEX)




krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #14
krandall
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 14,179
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokipoke View Post
Right after I submitted my previous reply, I noticed Louis being restless in his crate and staring at me. I took him out and leashed him, and he danced at the door to be let out while I got my coat on. As soon as I let him out, he RAN to the grassy area and had watery diarrhea! I need to stop feeding him rich treats. It was SO gross, all of it smeared on the back area. He must have known I was on this topic.
yuck!

It's my fault it's going to snow here tomorrow... I made the mistake of getting my car washed today!!!
__________________
Karen & Kodi
(Starborn Kodak Moment BN, PCD, NAJ, CDX-C, RE, RL1X2, RL2X2, RL3X, ARCHEX)




krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
tokipoke
Senior Member
 
tokipoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 405
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
is that really any easier than just popping them in the sink and washing their hiny with shampoo? I've also worried that you really don't deal with all the germs that way. What are your thoughts?
Louis is bathed weekly or at most every 2 weeks, so I just use the wipes and the foam to hold me until I can give him a proper bath. I am also waiting to see if his stools firm up. He had diarrhea yesterday twice, and then he was restless at 3 AM (very unusual) to be let out and he had soft stools again. Then he had the runs this morning. Not sure what is going on, but keeping an eye on it! Wiping a Hav butt at 3AM is no fun!!
__________________
The Babies!
tokipoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #16
krandall
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 14,179
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokipoke View Post
Louis is bathed weekly or at most every 2 weeks, so I just use the wipes and the foam to hold me until I can give him a proper bath. I am also waiting to see if his stools firm up. He had diarrhea yesterday twice, and then he was restless at 3 AM (very unusual) to be let out and he had soft stools again. Then he had the runs this morning. Not sure what is going on, but keeping an eye on it! Wiping a Hav butt at 3AM is no fun!!
Tell me about it!!!! I was doing multiple butt baths a day last week! (and I was doing the whole in-the-sink thing... I didn't really want him back in bed with me unless he was really clean!)
__________________
Karen & Kodi
(Starborn Kodak Moment BN, PCD, NAJ, CDX-C, RE, RL1X2, RL2X2, RL3X, ARCHEX)




krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #17
Luciledodd
Senior Member
 
Luciledodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Paris, TN
Posts: 2,495
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
If Rosie ever had the runs, I would give her cooked white rice and hamburger (cooked or raw). Mostly rice. I have used this with other dogs and occasionally give it to Rosie when I don't have anything else to feed her. I works great with diahrea (sp).
__________________
Luciledodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #18
Kathie
Senior Member
 
Kathie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SE Georgia
Posts: 4,512
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
I prefer the pop in the sink method, too. If DH had his way he would just cut it out and they would end up with completely bare bottoms!


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
__________________
Kathie, Abby & McGee's Mom
Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #19
Diann
Senior Member
 
Diann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 435
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad I'm not the only dog owner doing butt baths at 3am.

Havs at westminster have their rears bald? I thought the standard was no trimming. ??
Diann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
tokipoke
Senior Member
 
tokipoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 405
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Not only did I clean Hav butt at 3AM, but I put on my coat, went outside in the freezing cold in my PJs with a flashlight to look at dog poop. I don't even know how I managed to wake up to take Louis out. I was in deep sleep, dreaming, and then I just opened my eyes and looked at Louis and knew he had to go. I also cannot see at all without my contacts so I had to get my glasses to look at his poop. The things we do for our dogs!
__________________
The Babies!
tokipoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 PM.


A vBSkinworks Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.