Moving with a Hav - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
mcc.christina

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for all of the nice comments! The stories are very helpful!

Her pen will be the first thing that goes up. She has been to the apartment once before and around the area a few times.
I will have to keep a watchful eye the first few weeks since I will be taking away an ugodog.
What is definitely different, is that the door is down a small flight of stairs. So, greeting people might be tricky to figure out. I am thinking of having her sit on the landing....we will see.

Here is a picture with me, so you can put the face to the name.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
KSC

Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hi there - I don't have experience with moving but your thread made me think of a hilarious blog about dogs and moving - I'm sure you'll be just fine but add this for levity alone. Good luck!

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ca...-concepts.html
Old 01-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
dodrop82

Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
We moved 10 months ago. Yogi was just shy of 3 years old, and Boo was 15 months old. We moved right next door to our old home. Boo, the baby, who loves all adventures, had no problem at all...she's always ready for the next adventure in life. Yogi, on the other hand, wanted to go home (She knew her home was right next door!) We had to take them out on leash until we got a fence built, so she would pull desperately towards her yard next door. (Luckily the people who bought our home, were weekenders...so during the week, I'd relent and take her over to our old yard, and let her do her business...and then clean it up, of course) But she had a lot of accidents in our new home too. Once we got a fence put up, things got better...she hasn't had an accident in the house for several months now...thank God!!!! I hope using the Ugodog will make the transition easier for Eloise! BTW....Eloise is positively GORGEOUS!!!! Good luck!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #14
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
okay, I HAVE to ask... WHY did you move next door!?? lol

I whine and complain about our tiny house (960 sq ft), my tic-tac size kitchen and everything that goes along with a small house. BUT if push came to shove, I would NOT want to move... the thought of moving all the crap... oi vey. lol
Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #15
dodrop82

I HATE moving more then anything in the whole wide world!!!!!!!! My significant other is a house flipper...he bought a motel 10ish years ago, and flipped it into a house to sell. He fell in love with the house he made and we lived there for a few year...but then he had so much of his money tied up in the house, he was limited on flipping other houses, so he decided he had to unload it. He had it for sale for three years (due to the big dip in the house market...excuse my lingo if it's wrong...I'm not a flipper) before it sold, so when it did...we had no plan...so we moved into the motel next door. No, we do not live in a motel room (Thank the good Lord), we live in the living unit, within the motel, and have motel rooms around the outside of our living unit. Usually the motel owner would live in this area, but the owners currently live in another home across the street...on weekends....they are weekenders too...I know....confusing! But we're shacking here until we figure out where we want our forever home to be. And I WANT a forever home!!!! That's real hard to get across to a flipper!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #16
Kathie

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Christina, you and Elouise are both beautiful! Such great pictures! Congratulations on your new job!

Stacey, I don't know how you can stand that! But, married to a career Navy man for 43 years I have done my share of moving, too! We moved every 3 to 4 years until he retired and we have currently been in this house for nearly twenty years now and I plan to die here!! I don't remember having any problems moving with pets but then I don't remember much of anything anymore........lol

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #17
mcc.christina

Moving next door! I can see that being almost more tricky than moving far away.

HAHA If my experience is anything like that blog I will be sure to share!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #18
dodrop82

You are 100% correct, Christina! Because we moved into a furnished place, so we had to move some of our stuff to the motel, and move out some motel stuff, and then all the rest of our stuff went into a storage unit. Now when we think of something we'd like to have here...such as my treadmill!...to bad cause it's all literally BURIED in storage!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #19
waybrook

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
We just moved into our newly constructed house the week before Christmas...never again! We took Panda to the new house alot during construction so it would be familiar. The whole process was stressful as we were downsizing about 1200 sq. ft and had to get rid of a bunch of stuff. Pan was not happy even when we were living in the old house. She's not big on change or stuff being moved around too much.

The weekend before the movers came we boarded her and she stayed until the move was complete and everything settled. When we brought her home there were still workers coming and going to finish stuff up and she was upset the whole time. We had a couple of pooping incidents and then our son came home with his dachshund. Another week of turmoil with more family coming in and she was totally confused and exhausted.

Thinkgs have finally calmed down and even though we still have folks coming in some she is finally getting used to being here. Not sure what we could have done different, but I'm glad this is our LAST move!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #20
Buzzys Mom

Poor Pan- going from boarding to the new house musty have been tough. I was fortunate when moving that Buzzy was always with my neighbor (who he had spent almost everyday with anyways), or my in-laws (who still ask if he can come for vacation to their house- even though we live a few miles from them Like I would ever let Buzzy go away from me for a week if I was home). Either way, Buzzy had just turned 9- new job, new house, new state... we moved from the city to the 'burbs (which I think was a bigger adjustment)!
Buzzys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote