I poop everywhere! - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
I poop everywhere!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Fashiongal21

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I poop everywhere!

Its been awhile guys! I hope you all are well and starting off 2013 in a great way! I am hoping that someone has experienced the same thing and can chime in with some advice.

If Mossimo is out during play time, meaning free, not tethered up, 8/10 times he knows to run to the wee wee pad to go peeps, he NEVER EVER goes poops on the wee wee pad. EVER. Why is that?? It so strange that he has the peeps part down but its like he doesnt want to share the space with #2.

As I previously mentioned he used to only go in dark place.. but the other night he pooped in the dining room during dinner!.. Whats up with that?!
Fashiongal21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Tuss

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
have you ever scolded him for pooping? I scolded mine once and then she became afraid to poop in front of me and instead hid in the dining room to do it (the least used room in the house).

Tuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
usually the little dogs will pick a corner or room in the house that isn't used often to pee or poop in. b/c they don't 'see' it as part their 'home'. are you in the dining room daily?

my guy never poops on the pee pad. only pee.
sprorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
I think you are giving him too much freedom. The more accidents he has, the longer it will take to housebreak him. If you can't watch him like a hawk, he should be in x pen or crate.
When my guys were young and I couldn't keep a complete eye on them, I would let them be in the room with me. I would close the door or put gates up so they could only be with me. I put a bell on their collar. This way if they were sleeping, I could work and do other stuff. Once I heard the bell, I knew they were on the move and I'd better keep a good eye on them.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
Tom King

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
A fair percentage of them don't like to do both at the same place, starting at an early age. A lot of ours will use different litter boxes when conditions are too rough to go outside.
Tom King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Missy

Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 46 Times in 33 Posts
I 2nd tom. Both my boys never ever did both on the same pad. we had 3 trays set up so they could poop away from their peeps.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
puppy-love

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is so helpful! We've been periodically successful in prompting Julie to do both pee and poop at a single location, then suddenly she "decides" that poop goes somewhere else. Hearing that she's not alone in a preference to separate the functions, I guess I'll follow her lead!
puppy-love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
mcc.christina

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eloises' preferred place was under the kitchen table chairs, where I couldn't reach her really quick to run her to the Ugodog. I blocked that off and just kept an eye on her. It took a lot of running her to the Ugodog, but she hasn't had an accident in a long time (hope I don't jinx myself). Up until a few weeks ago she still looked over her shoulder to see if I was there, if not she would walk out of the bathroom and get into position.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 38 Times in 38 Posts
I have a separate place also. My dogs potty area is probably to big but they have three pads and two large rubber mats . I gate it so they walk into the area . But Zoey will still miss and half her poop will make it and the rest travels out of the area. This happens when I'm gone so I have no idea why. Maddie goes on top of her pee and makes it on the pad.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfung5 View Post
I think you are giving him too much freedom. The more accidents he has, the longer it will take to housebreak him. If you can't watch him like a hawk, he should be in x pen or crate.
When my guys were young and I couldn't keep a complete eye on them, I would let them be in the room with me. I would close the door or put gates up so they could only be with me. I put a bell on their collar. This way if they were sleeping, I could work and do other stuff. Once I heard the bell, I knew they were on the move and I'd better keep a good eye on them.
I LOVE the bell idea, Linda. Kodi never wore a collar, but with the next puppy, I might have to try this, at least when the puppy is out and about.

The other BIG change I'd make with a new puppy is to temporarily (as in for at least the first year!) remove all our rugs downstairs. I don't know why, but rugs are just SO much more appealing as a potty spot to puppies who are not yet completely reliable. (Also Kodi was ALWAYS trying to eat the fringe... a HUGE "bone" of contention!)

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pooping everywhere, potty training