where to find good trainers? - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Training Tips and Advice

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
Bidik
Cora

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Did he look something like this?

(I think Kodi was about 9 months in these pics)
very much so, except for the head. At least Kodi kept his head clean.
Not sure of this is a typical Havanese behaviour but Cora loves getting wet and then probably to shake off the water he gets hyper. He jumps around and messes up everything on his way, including me.
Bidik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
Bidik
Cora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chica'sMom View Post
Went through a similar stage two months ago. This monster puppy appeared out of nowhere. Happy to report that there has been a huge personality change at 9.5 months. She's really settled down. As Lorraine said, hang in there.
About the water dish, someone else had that issue. They bought a heavier dish and that solved that problem.
I was dreading the 10 month old stage as I understand that's when they blow coats but if there is hope Cora will be a little nicer by then, well bring it on!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
Bidik
Cora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuss View Post
word of mouth is the best way to find a trainer. find people with really well trained/well behaved dogs in your area and just ask them.

Sounds like your puppy entered adolescence. he is gaining independence and testing boundaries. They can be very frustrating during this time. It does get better.
I did ask around but not truly convinces yet. I was wondering if there are type of training types Havanese does best in. I am fairly new to this but was thinking there might be like montessori school or military school kind of disctinction between trainings and Havanese might thrive in one of them?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #14
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 33 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidik View Post
I did ask around but not truly convinces yet. I was wondering if there are type of training types Havanese does best in. I am fairly new to this but was thinking there might be like montessori school or military school kind of disctinction between trainings and Havanese might thrive in one of them?
give Gillian an email , if she can't help you she will know someone who can, . Gillian is one of the best trainers I 've come to know. http://www.whoswalkingwho.net/
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #15
Bidik
Cora

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
give Gillian an email , if she can't help you she will know someone who can, . Gillian is one of the best trainers I 've come to know. http://www.whoswalkingwho.net/
will do. thank you!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #16
lucymyhavanese

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidik View Post
Hello. I have to admit defeat. I thought I could groom and train and be the ultimate humn for Cora, who is now 7.5 months old. Grooming is not going too bad but training... we need help. He knows all the basic comments. sit, stay, come, go, run, jump, off (the couch), leave it. But he only listens to me when we are alone at home. Outside is a different story. It got started about a month ago. He pulls his harness, he jumps on people, if he is off the leash he would run after runners and cyclists and does not come back to me unless I start running the opposite way, today he pulled his bed apart, after each time he drinks water he flips the bowl upside down (and get thirsty soon), he ran away from home once. OMG, look at my list, what have I done?
I am living in Oakville, GTA in Canada. Do you know any good trainers that can save us both?
Your dog is ahead of the game and is entering his terrible 2's at only 7.5 months!
Old 01-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #17
Sharonefinkel

Submit Photo: 1
I have a 4 month old Havanese, he is my first. Do all of them go through this behavior even when neutered?
Sharonefinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #18
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 68 Times in 68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonefinkel View Post
I have a 4 month old Havanese, he is my first. Do all of them go through this behavior even when neutered?
It doesn't have anything to do with being neutered... it has to do with being an adolescent. All animals go through it to one extent or another. Dogs are no exception.

Cora seems to be "testing the limits" more than some. A lot of it has to do with good training. Kodi was in regular training from about 12 weeks. He definitely became more barky during adolescence, and had a shorter attention span, but it wasn't too bad, because we stayed on top of things.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #19
The Laughing Magpie

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
Your tread has made smile in memory of that time. My male never learned not to jump up, he does not jump on people but when super excited he walks behind them on his back legs with his front arms high in the air...he can walk through the kitchen like this, as long as they don't look in back, we are safe. You will get through this, the best thing to do is training, if you can't find a trainer you feel is a good fit for your time and life style, you can always go to an obedience or rally trial and meet and watch people there, often you will meet trainers showing their own dogs. A good trainer comes equipped with knowledge of different training methods, so they can open up their box of tricks and show you a few.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #20
Bidik
Cora

Cora is also neutered and when he was 4 months old he was listening to my commands. each day he is getting worse . Today he tried to run away three times. Now he is only going out to backyard on a leash. He is consistently redecorating his cage and my office. He digs flower pots. And we have this weird game of opening doors, if he is in he wants out if he is out he wants in and he can play this all day long. Yesterday, following Gillian's recommendation (whom Dave and Molly have recommended) we signed up for a 1st level obedience class of a reputable school (Scholars in Collars) and I cannot wait our training to start.