Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Puppy Area

Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #11
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
He is awfully cute! He looks like my Fred.

He will get used to the grooming. Do it daily and eventually he will learn to relax.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
brendagates

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great tips! Thank you to everyone who responded! I will keep at it with Malfoy (yes, I am a huge Harry Potter fan) and hopefully he'll come around. Thanks again!
brendagates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
HavaneseSoon
Linda

Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
Oh! I also use a soft pet (cheap) brush to begin with....the brush did not do anything but get Dexter used to grooming. I imagine is is a little tickling to get brushed.

Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"
HavaneseSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #14
Gabs

Submit Photo: 10
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
My gabby HATED grooming...it was a struggle each and everytime. It's important to groom them at this young age, more so they get use to it. I am happy to say now at 18 months she Loves it! I still need treats for certain areas...but I can say "want a brushing" and she goes to our spot and lays flat out (makes me smile each time, because it was such a nightmare in the beginning). She loves the slicker brush, followed by the cc comb. I keep her short, but still groom daily. It's turned from something we both dreaded to a really great time to bond.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #15
BennyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau's mom View Post
I got Beau when he was 12 weeks old. I tried and tried and tried and tried. Short sessions were so short not a single hair was brushed. He just turned 2 years in December -- and I still can't brush or comb him at all!! I have always given the groomer "combat pay" because he is such a wiggler!! Just last month she told me he is getting "a little easier" to handle. Sigh . . .
This is us!

Benny will NOT stay still. TO get his ears cleaned I have to take him to the vet where two techs hold him and one does his ears FAST!! Then they do the nails.

The groomer is so patient, but I too give them a big tip since I know it takes two to do anything involving clippers.

He's never aggressive, he just will not sit for it.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
Charleysmom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
The CC comb and pin brush do make all the difference. Charley didn't mind grooming as a puppy. We did it daily usually in the evening when we were relaxing. Now at 13 months he's a little wiggle monster but we still get the job done. It seems that the more frequently we do it the less he rebels.
Also, we started on the ears right from the get go. He's so cute now. He rests his little ear on my leg and waits for it to be done. But the nails - that's another story. Every three weeks he gets them cut.
Good luck!
Old 02-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #17
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 34 Times in 34 Posts
I didn't get my first real lesson until Zoey was about 6 mo old. So what I was taught might not be as good for a young puppy. I was taught to start with her on my lap on her back. We did the same thing in puppy class .Only it was called pass the puppy . The puppy's would wiggle and the larger ones were harder than Zoey. Any way it really help me. At the time I learned that technique we had to get the job done because I was showing her. I still do most of my combing on my lap. We use our grooming table after the bath.I'm not sure what the back thing teaches but maybe submissiveness?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #18
Lola :)

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Aw he is SO cute!! Lola is only 7months old and is still a big time wiggle worm when it comes to getting brushed. Hopefully they will get used to it with time. Congrats on your new furbaby!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #19
Diann

Submit Photo: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendagates View Post
Hello!
He hates every minute of it and will not stay still. This is making it extremely difficult for me to properly groom him his hair is VERY thick and it's hard to get all the way down to the root of the hair to get rid of any tangles.

Anyone have a similar experience and/or have any tips or advice for me?
What a beautiful little puppy. I haven't even read the other responses you've gotten yet because I am so excited to respond to you.

We have two Havs, Lucy 18 month and Charlie 15 months. They're half brother and sister but have entirely different hair. Lucy's is long and silky and Charlie is KINKY. We keep Charlie's short. I'd spent all weekend in differnt sessions trying to comb and cut his hair. Right before we left to go to puppy class, I'd quickly laid Lucy on the grooming table and line-combed her. SO much difference between the two animals. I remembered writing almost the exact same message 16 months ago that you wrote yesterday. Lucy was horrible. I remember writing on this board how she'd bitten me and I was so frustrated that I was in tears.

i was given what I'm sure will be the same advise you've already been given. Go slow. Be patient. Be kind and loving. Soon, you may have a puppy that wil fall asleep on the grooming table like I do. It's so worth the time.

i don't use a brush. I also would highly recommend getting a quality comb. I finally got a Chris Christenson comb and was amazed at the difference.

Congratulations on your little puppy. It Will Be Okay!
Diann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #20
Tia

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I found that our pup at 5 months is only now starting to be still when I comb him. Before hand to make him comfortable and stop him from running away I did it on a table and when he wriggled to I thought I might be hurting I just stopped as I wanted him to not feel threatened. Also I tried to make it fun (where possible) and let him sniff the comb and brush and I try and give him something to chew on whilst grooming this seems to help also
Tia is offline   Reply With Quote