Kong - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Kong
Old 01-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Zarika

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Kong

Hi gang,

I have a question for you? If you give a Kong, what do you put in it? I try to limit Hobbes' kong, because peanut butter is very high in fat and calories. I usually end up leaving him with a chew. He really likes his Kong though, so I would like to use that more often. Any tips?
Zarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
I use a kong every day. I actually put about 1/3 of her morning meal in her kong and TOP it (NOT fill it) with peanut butter or greek yogurt. Sometimes I get creative and put her sweet potatoes in it, a little bit of cheese, some frozen peach peices, banana. I've even been known to plug the hole in the bottom with a peice of kibble and yogurt, freeze it, then add water... freeze it again. top with cream cheese. ha ha
there are SO many ways you can fill it! you want to make it FUN and a mystery so they never really KNOW for certain what they are going to get in it!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
mcc.christina

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the kong everyday as well. Normally I use peanut butter, but occasionally cream cheese, mashed banana or yogurt (make sure it is plain). I never fill the kong all the way, just a little more than what covers the top. I always freeze the kong before I give it to her this way it takes her longer to get through. Anytime I fill it with loose treats or kibble she doesn't eat that part so we just do the top spread.

I typically leave Eloise her kong and deer antler when I leave her in the pen.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
I used to give my dogs kongs before I went to work. three dogs, two kongs each. but when I'd come home, Oz, my youngest dog 90 lbs now, he'd have all six kongs to himself. resource guarding bogger! I put whatever they like in it, my guys don't really like peanut butter. natural balance sausage cut up, some kibble mixed in. I didn't think little Ollie could pick up a big, XL kong, so I got two sizes down for him, but yes, he can pick up and carry the biggest kong they make, lol. such a pig!
sprorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
misstray

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
I spent months trying different things in kongs to get Brody interested in them. And really it's not that he didn't like them, it's that he won't touch them unless I'm there. So if I leave him alone with one it remains untouched until I get back, and then he happily starts munching on it. This sort of defeated the purpose for me (ie keeping him happy and busy while I'm gone), so I eventually gave up on it.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
davetgabby
Dave T

Photo Submissions 33 Times in 33 Posts
http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/50...r-dogs-chewtoy
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
gertchie

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ozzie gets his Kong every morning before I leave for work. I put a little kibble in the bottom, then some cheese or chicken, then his homemade food (ground beef, rice, veggies, probiotics) and keep layering until its full. He is so good at it now I might try freezing it so it takes him longer. My trainer said the Kong was the best thing ever
gertchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
davetgabby
Dave T

Photo Submissions 33 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gertchie View Post
Ozzie gets his Kong every morning before I leave for work. I put a little kibble in the bottom, then some cheese or chicken, then his homemade food (ground beef, rice, veggies, probiotics) and keep layering until its full. He is so good at it now I might try freezing it so it takes him longer. My trainer said the Kong was the best thing ever
yep
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote