ACL - advice needed! - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #21
leena365
Kashi_Miya

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have tried rice high premium canned dog food, chicken breast, cheese even. She is not having any of it. I may have to force feed it now. I am not going to enjoy doing that.
leena365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #22
HoneyBunny

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
How is Miya feeling today?
HoneyBunny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #23
leena365
Kashi_Miya

I had to take Miya to VET as she was throwing up through out the night. He gave her an antibiotic shot and a anti vomiting shot and gave me some gravol for vomiting and told me to stop all her meds. So far I have fed her via baby spoon canned food and water and she has held it down. Thank God! Thank you for your good wishes and concern.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #24
davetgabby
Dave T

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
poor girl . Keep us updated.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #25
leena365
Kashi_Miya

I took her to the VET yesterday as she is still not eating but drinking alot. He gave her an anti vomiting shot and an antibiotic shot. She was fine but still not going towards food only water. Then in evening she started vomiting again. I took her to the 24 hour animal hospital where they told me after doing bloodwork this morning that she has high kidney levels which he feels is due to the Metacam she has been on for three weeks prior to surgery. I thought when a dog goes through surgery they do bloodtest to see if everything is good before they do the surgery but apparently not. I was not very happy with the decisions I made in the past month. I listened to an acting vet that said rest her on Metacam for a couple weeks and see if it fixes the problem. I wish I had done the xray and blood work initially. Hindsight knows no bounds. Please say a prayer for my Miya:
Old 02-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #26
davetgabby
Dave T

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
yeah I thought they always preferred blood work before an anesthesia too. Hugs coming your way .
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #27
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
My guys always had blood work before surgery....I am also wondering why she was on meds before the surgery. My guys always got meds after the surgery but never before.

I am sorry to hear about what she is going through. Sending prayers and kisses your way
Old 02-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #28
leena365
Kashi_Miya

They originally thought it was luxating patella and told me to give her metacam for a couple of weeks and total bed rest. When that did not work I went in and had an xray done where they discovered it was an acl problem and did surgery right away. Extra bloodwork and biochemical testing is extra and since they found thru the xray what the issue was I did not ask to have the extra bloodwork done but I did not realize that part of the surgery process is not an initial blood test. My mistake again hindsight.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #29
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
How is Miya doing???
Old 02-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #30
leena365
Kashi_Miya

Had to take her to the hospital for three days as she developed kidney disease. They let me take her home today as her blood levels are normal and she was not eating for them. I have only been able to give her crushed kibble with warm water. I am hoping by tomorrow she will eat on her own

Last edited by leena365; 02-05-2013 at 11:49 AM.