. - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
Zarika

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I personally think every dog should get a rabies vaccine unless there are extraordinary reasons why not (ie, the dog has had a previous anaphylactic reaction to the vaccine the year before, not the dog will have hives and thus be miserable for several days).

Many of the other vaccines we vaccinate pets against are not transmittable to people, so that vaccines for those should certainly be owner's choice. Rabies can go dog to person and can be deadly to a person if not treated within a crucial window. One country, India, has 1/3 of the entire world's rabies' deaths (20,000 people per year die from rabies there). They don't vaccinate their dogs and have a large stray dog population. Dog bites are the biggest transmitter of rabies there.

As another minor and much less convincing reason: To maintain herd immunity, (ie, non-vaccinated people can be protected from the disease because the disease is almost eradicated due to every one else's immunization status ) approximately 80% of the population needs to be vaccinated. When you think of all the strays, pets need to be vaccinated to maintain that 80% in America's dog population.

All this is just my opinion, but just something to think about before skipping a vaccine that could put others at risk.

edited to say: if an owner of a sensitive dog wants to do rabies titers every 3 years instead of the vaccine, and can thus know the vaccine is still good, I think that's fine as well. The whole point of requiring a vaccine is to ensure person safety, not make a dog suffer.

Last edited by Zarika; 02-07-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Zarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
atsilvers27

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Unfortunately the doses are the same for all sizes of dog, but I also agree that all dogs should be vaccinated against rabies or have titers done. The difference with rabies is that it can be a fatal disease to humans. It is the law in New Jersey. I turn people away from my salon because they have no proof of a current vaccine. Often, the person is offended and looks incredulously at me, saying their dog doesn't have rabies. Well, obviously the dog doesn't have rabies, if it did, it would be foaming at the mouth and acting crazy. The point is that because all dogs are required to be vaccinated, there is little chance that a different dog, infected with rabies, bites the owner's dog, or them or their child. It is a means of protecting everyone. When people stop vaccinating their dogs and children, those diseases creep in and expose others to illness. It actually happened somewhere in California, where children were mysteriously coming down with measles, I believe it was, and it was because it became trendy for parents not to vaccinate children and they put the population at risk, and that disease came back.
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #13
littlebuddy

Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
I know here in Ohio if a dog bites another dog or person and that dog not had his rabies vaccination, they will put the dog down. When it came time for rabies vaccination, my vet recommended against it because he was concerned it could have detrimental side effects to my dog so we tittered and all is good.
littlebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
I am very fortunate to have an amazing vet, he actually gives weight appropriate vaccines to Tillie, NOT the 'out of the box" vaccine for ALL dogs.... maybe that's why she's never had a reaction?
Old 02-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
SJ1998

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wow, that is really good to know about the size option. Thanks! I will ask my vet.
SJ1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #16
littlebuddy

Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Your lucky!
littlebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #17
Becky Chittenden

Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Read Dr. Jean Dodds vaccine protocol. It tells about, not only rabies, but other vaccines.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #18
Pixiesmom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
No reactions in my two.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #19
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1998 View Post
My dog has a had two rounds of puppy shots. Should I do the third? I will probably have to do rabies at some point since I need to board. For those of you who dont do rabies, how do you get around that?
its easy I just never bought city licences for my dogs. I have never had the police come up to me and ask me . My friend got caught and all he got was a $40 fine. I think its up to a $500 dollar fine for littering.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #20
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
I am very fortunate to have an amazing vet, he actually gives weight appropriate vaccines to Tillie, NOT the 'out of the box" vaccine for ALL dogs.... maybe that's why she's never had a reaction?
I wonder if this is something I can request! I hate the idea of my guys even getting vaccines, let alone too much!