Need help with dog food suggestions... - Page 7 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Alternative and Home Cooked Diets

Alternative and Home Cooked Diets A forum for people making their own dog food, using alternative methods or different discussions improving the nutrition of your dog.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #61
RitaandRiley

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Well, I'm kind of obsessed with dog food. I would say most people are not like me.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #62
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post

But as I always say...if what you are doing with your dog right now aint broke, don't fix it.
I have to agree with you wholeheartedly on this point, Missy! Live and learn.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #63
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 68 Times in 68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOPHIES-MOM View Post
I'm confused about the statement that food should be rotated every few months. If it's a good quality food and they love it, why switch? I finally found a food, Acana Grasslands, that doesn't cause eye stains, and I plan to keep Sophie on this. I tried many before I found this one and it is very expensive. I plan to keep her on it as long as she likes it, and she does love it! Please tell me the problems this can cause.
I understand the theory behind rotating food... each brand has a slightly different nutritional make-up, and by rotating, you make sure all bases are covered. We do this with our bird's pelleted food. HOWEVER, Kodi has a hard time switching food. When I've tried, even with VERY slow change-over, we've ended up with tummy trouble. So I have found one brand that I believe is a good choice for him, and we stick with that.

So, if your dog doesn't have a problem with it, I'd say go for rotational feeding. But I'm not going to make my dog sick to accomplish it!

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #64
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 33 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
I understand the theory behind rotating food... each brand has a slightly different nutritional make-up, and by rotating, you make sure all bases are covered. We do this with our bird's pelleted food. HOWEVER, Kodi has a hard time switching food. When I've tried, even with VERY slow change-over, we've ended up with tummy trouble. So I have found one brand that I believe is a good choice for him, and we stick with that.

So, if your dog doesn't have a problem with it, I'd say go for rotational feeding. But I'm not going to make my dog sick to accomplish it!
BANG ON Karen. If you have a finicky dog or difficult to transition to other foods, stick with what works. If you feed commercial and your dog handles change with no problem you can rotate with a couple of other common protein sources. Sabine says since AAFCO only really mandates that foods meet minimum levels of specified nutrients, they can vary tremendously from product to product, and rotating can help average that out over time.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #65
wynne

Submit Photo: 10
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
I feed Maya Halo. She loves it. As a treat, I will give her Tiki dog which comes in a can. It is expensive at $5.00 a can , but she loves it. The cats even try to bully there way in to in bowl when I feed her it. I wish that the Tiki dog came in a dry food, but it doesn't.
wynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #66
leena365
Kashi_Miya

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I give mine Vets Choice Health Extension Little Bites. I also had some chicken breast into small pieces and a smal amount of cheese. Do I still need to change up the kibble?What kind of problems can they have if you do not change up their food every 3 or 4 bags?
leena365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #67
davetgabby
Dave T

Quote:
Originally Posted by leena365 View Post
I give mine Vets Choice Health Extension Little Bites. I also had some chicken breast into small pieces and a smal amount of cheese. Do I still need to change up the kibble?What kind of problems can they have if you do not change up their food every 3 or 4 bags?
they won't have any problems , it's just better to add a different variety of nutrients ,in case some are deficient in the one. Lucky duck for only getting one inch of snow. lol
Old 02-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #68
leena365
Kashi_Miya

Any suggestions as to what to change the kibble to? I originally orijen puppy food then switched over to Vets Choice Health Extension Little bites.
leena365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #69
davetgabby
Dave T

Quote:
Originally Posted by leena365 View Post
Any suggestions as to what to change the kibble to? I originally orijen puppy food then switched over to Vets Choice Health Extension Little bites.
I usually don't like giving suggestions specifically because every dog is different, but here is the Canadian company I use http://www.petcurean.com/
Old 02-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #70
Kerwee89
Chance and Daisy's Mom

Submit Photo: 0
Our 4 year old Havanese was on Innova for all of his life and did well but after Proctor and Gamble bought them out I was worried about quality, he is also a very picky eater. After some research I changed him to Instinct Grain Free by Nature's Variety. They have several different kinds and you can switch between them to give your dog variety. Mine loves the gamey flavors. We now have a 5 month old puppy and she loves it too. Its okay for all life stages which makes it very easy. I have also been ordering from Wag.com which makes it quite affordable and ships free to my door :-)