Crate Training/House Breaking - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Training Tips and Advice

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Crate Training/House Breaking
Old 02-10-2013, 05:28 AM   #1
Kar

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Crate Training/House Breaking

I adopted a six year old former showdog champion from a breeder last July. I had some initial problems with accidents in house and in crate. Everything seemed to work out after a couple of months. The dog is great. My only issue was I felt bad when I left her alone. So, I adopted another Havanese from the same breeder a week ago. She is 11 months old and much more active than my other Havanese. I am having a huge problem with her as far as peeing and pooping in the house. I was told that she was housebroken. As a result I am keeping both dogs in my kitchen which has a tile floor so its not difficult to clean up. She sleeps in a crate (as she has always done) but I'm waking up to the smell of poop. Her former owner used to take the dogs out at 5am so she seems to wake up then or earlier and I wake up and try to get her outside before she poops in the crate. I was successful one morning out of eight. On that morning, I took her out, she pooped and then I brought her back to the crate. Well, an hour later, she pooped again in the crate.

I don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Not sure whether the breeder was exagerating the house trained part or not. Possible the new environment has caused things to get thrown off course. I would try to go back to square one. Here's an article that's good. http://dogtrainer.quickanddirtytips....-your-dog.aspx
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
I'm surprised she is going in her crate. Most dogs, especially ones that are supposed to be housebroken, won't go in their crate. Can you set up an xpen in the kitchen? She needs a smaller space with access to a potty pad. Put her crate with door open, water, toys, and pee pad in the x pen. The other dog can also be in the kitchen with her. When you can't watch her closely, she should always be in the x pen. I would treat hare as a puppy who is not housebroken. If she was really huusebroken, she will catch on quickly and you can give her more space. I'd be shoked if the breeder lied to you, because she is 6 years old, I would hope she would be housebroken!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Kar

Going In House

The dog that is pooping in the house is the 11 moth old. The six year old is fine.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
lfung5
LINDA

Opps, my mistake. Well, she is still a puppy! I am sure she is just out of her element. I would still go back tot he basics. I bet she will catch on quickly once she acclimates to your routine.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Kar

Response Pooping in House and Crate

Thanks. Just not sure what to do in the short-term in regard to the morning (or late night) pooping in crate...
Old 02-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
lfung5
LINDA

That's what I was suggesting with the x pen. You can also try a larger crate. Put a litterbox in the back of the crate and her bed in the front. I did that for my guys as pups. They would use the liter box in an emergency. The medium crate works well.

Also, you could try putting her crate next to you bed. Put a bell on her collar. When she wakes up, you will hear the bell and can take her out. Make sure you are giving her plenty of praise when she does her business outside.

I hope this helps. I know frustrating a dog that's not housebroken can be. Stick with it and it will click for her soon!

Last edited by lfung5; 02-10-2013 at 03:00 PM.
lfung5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
Kar

I have her crate next to my bed and I guess by the time I hear her she has already pooped. What kind of litter box are you referring to? Do they make them for dogs?

I am giving her a lot of praise when she goes outside. I'll persevere.

I usually feed her at 5:00pm so last night I figured maybe if I feed her a little later, she won't have to go between 4:00am - 5am. It didn't work...

Thanks for all your help.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
lfung5
LINDA

Yes, they do. You can get them at Petsmart, Petco etc. You can use doggy liter, newspaper or pee pad. I used pee pads. Put a piece of her poo on it, so she has a scent to go to. I hope she will gravitate to the liter box rather than her bed. Before bed, put her in the crate. Then put a few small treats on her bed. Most dogs won't do their business where they eat/sleep. Hopefully, this will get her to use the liter box if necessary.

When I was training my guys to a particular room, I would sprinkle the room with treats. This way they went out the dog door to do their business. If I ever found an accident, I would clean it up well and then put a treat there. I'm not sure if this is the way to stop accidents, but it worked for me
Old 02-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
Kar

I'll give it a try. She just pooped in the kitchen and I caught her in the act. I picked her up (didn't yell) and took her outside. She didn't do anything outside but I think she knew she shouldn't have done what she did...
The Following User Nominates Kar Great Photo:
Kar (02-10-2013)