Crate Training/House Breaking - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Training Tips and Advice

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar View Post
I'll give it a try. She just pooped in the kitchen and I caught her in the act. I picked her up (didn't yell) and took her outside. She didn't do anything outside but I think she knew she shouldn't have done what she did...
I know this isn't positive reinforcement, but next time you catch her in the act say, no outside! Then do what you did, carry her outside and say, poo poo outside.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
ivyagogo
Gryff and Jinx Mommy

Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
I'm going back to square one too. It's tough though because Jinx will pee in his crate if he wants to. There have been good stretches of a few days, but there hasn't been a week since we got Jinx that he hasn't gone in the house. Today, he's gone three times! He will pee or poop outside and then come in and do it again in no time at all. I'm really getting frustrated. Additionally, he hasn't met a sock he hasn't completely obliterated! We all try not to leave them around, but if he can find one, it's history. Along with straps of any kind (bras, sweatpant drawstrings, etc). Jinx turned a year in December. I certainly thought we'd be over this by now. Both my husband and I are home all day, so there really shouldn't be these problems.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #13
Kar

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm extremely frustrated. I was so happy when I heard her rustling around in her crate at 5am and her crate was clean. I scooped her up and took her outside (other Hav follows) and she pooped. I was thrilled. It was short lived because within a few hours she had pooped three times in the kitchen where I keep them because it has a tile floor. During that time, I took her out several times and nothing...she waits until she's back in the house. I caught her in the act twice, picked her up and brought her outside but so far she doesn't seem to be getting it...
Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
smiley65

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm so new as my pup is not quite 9 weeks old, BUT, I did notice that she is a double pee-er...so every time I take her outside to pee, she goes once, gets excited, and if I wait a minute and let her sniff more she goes again! This happens every time. Maybe if your give her more time she'll get it all out?
smiley65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #15
lfung5
LINDA

Yikes. I feel both your pain.... I wish I had more advice.

Why is she pooping so much? May I ask what you are feeding? The lower quality foods will make dogs poop more. If you are feeding low quality food a high quality dog food would help. My guys poop once maybe twice daily.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
lfung5
LINDA

Kar,
Do you have a separate pee pee and poo poo command? I find it helpful. Dogs can learn to poop on command.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #17
lfung5
LINDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyagogo View Post
I'm going back to square one too. It's tough though because Jinx will pee in his crate if he wants to. There have been good stretches of a few days, but there hasn't been a week since we got Jinx that he hasn't gone in the house. Today, he's gone three times! He will pee or poop outside and then come in and do it again in no time at all. I'm really getting frustrated. Additionally, he hasn't met a sock he hasn't completely obliterated! We all try not to leave them around, but if he can find one, it's history. Along with straps of any kind (bras, sweatpant drawstrings, etc). Jinx turned a year in December. I certainly thought we'd be over this by now. Both my husband and I are home all day, so there really shouldn't be these problems.
How much free run does he get? My guys were confined to one room of my house until they could be trusted 100%. So that meant, 1 year in my family room. If they were ever out of that room, that meant I was watching them like a hawk. It's a pain in the butt, but a year of it is so worth approx 15 years of being worry free
Old 02-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #18
Tia

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
ohhh it sounds terribly frustrating. I lucked out with Doug. He only had two poo accidents inside the house since we got him, he just tends to go outside. When he went inside it was due to lack of access. I was going to say the same thing about the quantity of number 2's. That seems like an awful lot.... Doug since we brought him home goes three times a day. Once in the morning at around 7am, in the afternoon around 4pm and after dinner aroudn 7pm. Sometimes he will only go twice a day.
Tia is offline   Reply With Quote