Going to Hawaii for Two Weeks ... CAN'T take Winston.. - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #21
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 38 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gertchie View Post
We need to get together Suzi so Ozzie can meet his sister! Maybe I can watch the girls in August
I think it would be great to get together! That is so sweet to consider watching them. I'm pretty sure my ex will take them

Last edited by Suzi; 02-08-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #22
gertchie

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm sure they would be happy with your ex but I just wanted to give you an option. When the weather gets better we need to get the pups together...Ozzie needs to meet some other havs
Old 02-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #23
Luciledodd

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Suzi, how are you getting to go to Hawaii in August? I thought you were not finding enough work, etc. If there is a cheap way to go,then Iwant to go with you.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #24
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurief View Post
I am willing to pay anything for someone to come and stay at my home, and sleep in bed with my guys!! My poor Lily would die of a heart attack if she were away from us AND her home. I too checked out Camp Bow Wow a few years ago. I left Lily and Lexi there, and got to watch them on webcam. Lily was a wreck - so bad that I went and got them in the middle of the day. A few days later (despite having the bordatella shot) they got bordatella!! So - I was not comfortable even trying to send them somewhere.
I highly recommend that you speak with your vet staff. My in home dog sitter is one of the vet techs and I know there are a few others that work there too. Check with other vet offices in your area as well. At least you then know that the person really loves animals! Good luck.
Hawaii is the TOP item on my bucket list! I am sure you will have a fantastic time once you know Winston is well taken care of.
I went to that Camp Bow Wow near you! I was working in the area and was curious. I can see why they were stressed out! That place was not fit for a small dog. I was shocked. Pretty much in a warehouse/garage. Little dogs seemed cold and scared to death. I think the big dogs didn't mind it, but there was nothing to play with or on!! Just fenced off areas on cement and filled with dogs. The outside was not impressive either. I think little dogs have different needs than big dogs. They need a more homey atmosphere. That's why one day my goal is to open one!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #25
Laurief

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 28 Times in 20 Posts
I agree Linda - like I said, after 1/2 day of watching Lily stress, I went and got her. I could not let them be in an environment like that. When I was there, the big dogs DID seem to love interacting with each other. I didnt like also that NO one is there during the night. If there were a fire, I would want someone there to get the dogs out!!

I sure hope you are able to find someone to come to your house to care for Winston!
Laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #26
lfung5
LINDA

Yes, that is another pet peeve of mine. I would also want someone there at night. Out of about a dozen places I went to see, only 2-3 had someone there at night. And out of that dozen, only one was fit for my guys needs.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #27
Anna6

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would check out kennels. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Anna6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #28
lfung5
LINDA

Maybe you could do a google search for small dog daycares or in home doggy daycares etc. The lady that had the nice place in her home came up on my google search.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #29
Ewokpup

Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
Miss Yorkie used to stay with a family from church who loved dogs but weren't ready to have one full time. Then they ended up getting a dog and since Miss Y doesn't like Othwr dogs we found another teen for her to vacation with. One has been border twice...once at the vet, which she seemed to do okay at, and once somewhere else...at that place she came back with irritated paws from scratching or clawing at a crate door. I felt horrible. But there was also a big tropical storm that weekend and I knew she was secure there.

Before Bama, I stayed for a week at a friend's house with their two dogs. They paid me, but I would have been thrilled just to hang out with dogs for a week and use their washer/drier (we didn't have one).

I would recommend trying to find someone to stay in your home or let the pups stay in theirs.
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote