Need help with dog food suggestions... - Page 8 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Alternative and Home Cooked Diets

Alternative and Home Cooked Diets A forum for people making their own dog food, using alternative methods or different discussions improving the nutrition of your dog.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #71
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 34 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerwee89 View Post
Our 4 year old Havanese was on Innova for all of his life and did well but after Proctor and Gamble bought them out I was worried about quality, he is also a very picky eater. After some research I changed him to Instinct Grain Free by Nature's Variety. They have several different kinds and you can switch between them to give your dog variety. Mine loves the gamey flavors. We now have a 5 month old puppy and she loves it too. Its okay for all life stages which makes it very easy. I have also been ordering from Wag.com which makes it quite affordable and ships free to my door :-)
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for that.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #72
wynne

Submit Photo: 10
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
I guess different places rate foods differently. When I checked Halo out, it had a four out of five stars rating which is why I went with it.

Last edited by wynne; 02-10-2013 at 12:02 PM.
wynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #73
SJ1998

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have two dogs, an adult lab and my hav puppy. The lab has always been on a raw diet, in part because our previous lab died at 5 1/2 from liver failure (my theory was over-vac etc, I am still pretty bitter about the whole thing). We use a combination of commercial raw such as primal, OC and Stella, with small mix in of pumpkin, some fish, chicken etc (usually the chicken is cooked as its part of our whole foods dinner but sometimes raw).

The funny part was when the vet tech once said this:
"Your dog's fur looks great. What is he eating?"
"Raw dog food."
"Oh, he needs to get off that."

Pretty funny.

That being said, early on with our lab, there were definitely times when I dont think we had it right. We do rotate now, and I think we are doing okay, but reading this forum, I am thinking about investing in some time with Sabine.

What I find frustrating though is that you pay a vet for services and advice, and I do like my vet, but you still have to do a lot of the research and work yourself.
SJ1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #74
davetgabby
Dave T

Thanks for that, yeah I would get Sabiene to fine tune that for you.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #75
davetgabby
Dave T

Thanks for that, yeah I would get Sabine to fine tune that for you.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #76
1stladysoul
Skye's Mom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am feeding my baby Grandma Lucy's Artisan grain-free pre-mix which I add fresh ground meat. She is only 3 months and we have already had a problem with food when I started her on Blue. Grandma Lucy's seems to be working ok, but I have notice some stomach grumbling after she eats. I want to try to finish this bag, which is huge considering she weighs 3.4 pounds and only eats 1/4 cup at dinner, a bit less in for morning/lunch time. I have already checked out the next food I will try which is Amicus. Has anyone else tried either Grandma Lucy's or Amicus? I found the information for my decision for Amicus at DogFoodAdvisor.com. Finding the right food has me so stressed as everyone has different opinions about doing what's right for my baby.
1stladysoul is offline   Reply With Quote