Introduce yourself part 3! - Page 29 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #281
puppy-love

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome Emi and Teemo! He's a beautiful pup! Any one of these little guys can have their "moments." It helps me to remember that, unlike people, it's never a hidden agenda or ulterior motives with the dog and to stay focused on all the things the puppy is doing that are wonderful. The articles Dave posted were really helpful to me.
puppy-love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #282
dreamsie

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you so much! I will try various different methods as suggested. I will update on status next week. He's very cute though and for some reasons he always want to jump on me and bite me all over He doesn't bite anyone else in the house when they play with him.
dreamsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #283
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Welcome! He is adorable. I hope Dave's advice helps
Old 02-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #284
dodrop82

Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Throughout the last 40+ years, I've always had ripped up hands from playing with my puppies...they have always outgrown it...it'll be OK....
Old 02-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #285
Thebean28

Just introducing myself. I live outside the D.C. area with my husband and our 8 year old daughter. Our scotty of 15 years was just put to sleep a few days ago. I knew I couldn't get another scotty - she was just too special and I didn't want to compare her to another. We've been considering adding a Havanese to the family for about a year, but then held off once our dog got sick. We're on a breeder's waiting list (one that posts on these forums regularly - I've been lurking a long time doing research) and hope to be adding a Havanese to our family in the May or June timeframe.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I continue to prepare and once we bring him/her home. These forums have been a great source of information for me so far. Looking forward to getting to know everyone more over the coming months
Thebean28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Introduce yourself
Old 02-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #286
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
Introduce yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebean28 View Post
Just introducing myself. I live outside the D.C. area with my husband and our 8 year old daughter. Our scotty of 15 years was just put to sleep a few days ago. I knew I couldn't get another scotty - she was just too special and I didn't want to compare her to another. We've been considering adding a Havanese to the family for about a year, but then held off once our dog got sick. We're on a breeder's waiting list (one that posts on these forums regularly - I've been lurking a long time doing research) and hope to be adding a Havanese to our family in the May or June timeframe.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I continue to prepare and once we bring him/her home. These forums have been a great source of information for me so far. Looking forward to getting to know everyone more over the coming months
Welcome and keep us posted on the new pup. I assume he/she has not even been born yet. You came to the right place for information and help. Stay in touch. Excited for you and your family.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #287
lise

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:

I too had a Scottie who passed on, last April. I got my Havanese Ted last July. Not sure what you are looking for in a dog but I can tell you Havanese are nothing like Scottie's. I had 2 of them and found them totally awesome dogs. They are very loyal, independant, quiet dogs. They love you but only choose to need or show it when they are in the mood!
Havanese are very loving and loyal dogs but they crave you 24/7. They go to the bathroom with you, they end up sleeping with you and cannot stay alone for long periods like Scottie's. They are very smart and learn easily except their potty training is longer. Ted has been 99% since about 6 months now on the potty front! My Scotty was very quiet. Ted is very vocal.
I am at home during the day as I work from home. Can't imagine Ted being happy being alone all day. Scottie's are bred to be ratters. Havanese are bred to be companion dogs. I'm sure if you have been lurking lol, you know all this already.
I'm not on the forum as often as I used to be but please, if you want any other info about comparisons by all means ask.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #288
Thebean28

Hi Lise - thank you for the Scotty comparison. My Scotty was less independent than most, but she was still fine with me going out for several hours or sitting out in the sun for a few hours also. I keep telling my family to get ready for a velcro dog I'm a stay at home mom and am toying with going back to work part time at some point, but I plan on being home full time for the foreseeable future and plan on bringing our new addition everywhere with us. I also want to get him/her involved in therapy dog training and maybe rally. I really just wanted our next dog to be super loving, sweet and gentle, want to sit on my lap or be near me and a constant companion when I'm out and about Based on what I've read, it sounds like the Havanese fits that profile. I do understand they're harder to potty train, so that will take some effort, but I plan on crate training. The breeder we're working with litter box trains them also, which I'm guessing will help a lot.
Thebean28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #289
lise

Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Hi Lise - thank you for the Scotty comparison. My Scotty was less independent than most, but she was still fine with me going out for several hours or sitting out in the sun for a few hours also. I keep telling my family to get ready for a velcro dog I'm a stay at home mom and am toying with going back to work part time at some point, but I plan on being home full time for the foreseeable future and plan on bringing our new addition everywhere with us. I also want to get him/her involved in therapy dog training and maybe rally. I really just wanted our next dog to be super loving, sweet and gentle, want to sit on my lap or be near me and a constant companion when I'm out and about Based on what I've read, it sounds like the Havanese fits that profile. I do understand they're harder to potty train, so that will take some effort, but I plan on crate training. The breeder we're working with litter box trains them also, which I'm guessing will help a lot.
Velcro they are. Funny how similar we are because I got Ted for Therapy training also. They are def Velcro. Puppyhood, which I haven't done for 12 years, was a shock. Amazing how you forget the nipping and chewing and just trying to figure out what the little guy wants. I also trained Ted with a crate in an expen. He loved his pen and I felt very good leaving him there when we went out. He had room to run around a bit and had his toys and food and was safe.
You sound like you are ready for. Little Hav invasion to me!
Old 02-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #290
grandma04

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, my name is Valerie and live in Georgia. I will be getting a pup from Windyhill Havanese. Hopefully, she will be coming home the first week of March. She was born Dec 19th. She will be 10 weeks old on Feb. 27th. On Feb.9th she weighed only one lb. one oz. As you can tell, she is extremely small. I correspond frequently with the breeder. She assures me Soli(her name) is very feisty but considerably smaller than her litter mates. I have seen her once and of course the breeder sends me numerous videos of her. As the time draws near to bringing her home, I find that I am so impatient to hold her and start our adventure together.
grandma04 is offline   Reply With Quote