Not giving puppy Deworming - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #11
roxie2519

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chica'sMom View Post
Is your pup's hair falling out all over his body or at the injection site?
It was falling out all over his body.
roxie2519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
roxie2519

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfung5 View Post
I don't know of a deworming shot. I think you should have his stool sample checked. Then you should get him on Interceptor or heartguard, which will prevent worms.

Sorry to hear he had such a bad reaction!
They have checked his stool twice and gave him deworming twice.. I don't understand. If they deworm him when he is few weeks old ,then why do they need to do it again and again?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #13
roxie2519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola :) View Post
Sorry to hear about your pup! I would recommend getting the deworming vaccine. Lola had worms when she was much younger and was really sick from it (super concerning for me). I'd say it's better to try and prevent it than risk the chances of him getting it. I hope his bad reaction to the shots was only a one time thing, poor guy!! Like others suggested, maybe a fecal exam would be a good idea.

Yeah I will take him back.. I'm just waiting for his to get better. I think that the reason why he got so sick is because , they gave him the rabbi booster along with the other two shots.. thats too many in one day!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
roxie2519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
My dog have never had worms and have never had a pill or a shot. In oregon my vet says that heart worm isn't common so we don't do any worming medication at all. I did however bring in stool samples during out first three puppy visits.
They told us to dig and see if he has worms, like we were doctors...
Old 02-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #15
roxie2519

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdanielle View Post
Diatomaceous Earth is a natural and safer approach to deworming. Just make sure it is food grade!
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

Thanks, I'll try this if anything
Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #16
roxie2519

" UPDATE"

I've found a tooth stuck in my puppy's hair. Turns out , the reason why he couldn't eat and he was throwing up right away, is becasue he coudln't chew his food , instead he was eating it whole... I got so scared for nothing. My mom called off work and stayed home with him.... He is now feeling so much better .
Old 02-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #17
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
My little guy, as a pup LOVED playing with snails, used to bring me one almost everyday. you might be aware, snails are part of the lifestyle of numerous parasites, aka worms. so my guys had 2-3 extra rounds of deworming b/c he had worms (could see 'em around the butt hole and in the poop).

a fecal sample as already mentioned will reveal which worms. but yes, there is a shot for deworming, also pills, you can buy. but it depends on the worms you have.
sprorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #18
Lola :)

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxie2519 View Post
" UPDATE"

I've found a tooth stuck in my puppy's hair. Turns out , the reason why he couldn't eat and he was throwing up right away, is becasue he coudln't chew his food , instead he was eating it whole... I got so scared for nothing. My mom called off work and stayed home with him.... He is now feeling so much better .
I'm glad he's feeling better, what a relief! When Lola was teething and had difficulty chewing, I used to water down her food which seemed to help.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:19 AM   #19
Tuss

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
There are several different types of worms that dogs can get and different ones live in different areas, so your vet is the best one to advise you. The medication only kills the worm in certain life cycles, so you need multiple treatments. My puppy was treated 3 times, yet I still found a giant worm in her bed when she was 4 months old! Also, some of the canine worms can infect people so another good reason to deworm your puppy. I don't want to have a tapeworm!

Heartworm is different, and is spread by mosquitos. It is something that you immunize against and is important to do so before exposure (otherwise it is too late). Only your vet can tell you if you have it in your area or not (it is a huge worm that literally lives in the dogs heart and causes heart failure; gross).

Tuss is offline   Reply With Quote