Constructive ways to play? - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Puppy Area

Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #11
puppy-love

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. Not only are these great ideas, you've also built my knowledge and confidence around play I've ordered a flirt pole, played a peek-a-boo style hide and seek and taught Julie "drop" while we played with her favorite tug toy. I understand the point about hand play and feel, with this guidance, as if I can work it out. The article was fascinating - especially the idea that “the results of well-signalled dog-human games remain context specific and the dog-human relationship is unaltered." How liberating! I no longer feel like I'm going to somehow ruin everything with my puppy by playing the "wrong" way.
puppy-love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #12
Charleysmom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
A version of hide and seek that Charley loved - I crouch and cover my head and call "Charley" and he comes running trying to find my face. THis first taught him about the actually Finding me. he was always so excited when my face got revealed. We've expanded beyond this of course. One point when outside Charley's leash got loose. There were lots of kids outside and we were on a big lawn. I didn't run after Charley who was having great fun running in circles. Instead I lied down on the ground and called his name. He came dashing looking for me. It was such a relief and so easy (of course I hadn't planned on that)
Point is - hide and seek with you as the object he has to find is very useful later on. Now we play hide and seek where I tell him to sit stay and then I might go upstairs and hide in a closet or behind the door. It is sooooo much fun watching him run and sniff and look for me. When he finds me we both jump up and down in excitement and then start all over again.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #13
puppy-love

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
The flirt pole is a huge success and we are off to a good start with Hide &Seek :-)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
puppy-love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #14
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppy-love View Post
The flirt pole is a huge success and we are off to a good start with Hide &Seek :-)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
good stufff, don't forget dogs are all about scent. Try hide da treat game.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote