I put in for a rescue Irish Setter any comments? - Page 4 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Family and Friends > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop A good place for chit-chat

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #31
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 33 Times in 33 Posts
Many of us have a dog for a variety of reasons. Dog ownership has evolved over the years. Lucile , you're obviously from a different mindset than I am. And that is perfectly fine. I have been around long enough (60 years) to have witnessed a huge change in not only how dogs live but how we humans live. Years ago it was common for dogs to be outdoors ,tied up, in the kennel or simply left loose. The family was outdoors more. Now ,few of us are outdoors , we're watching the tv or typing on computers. Dogs have evolved into more social animals than ever. And when social animals are isolated ,there are a multiple host of problems that can arise. Very few dogs thrive without a social contact with either the same species or in most cases human contact. Here is an article on this socialization aspect and explains exactly why some of us should have cats lol http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1127105348.htm

Lucile , I have seen hunting dogs shot because they didn't hunt. I've seen dogs tied outside or in a kennel 24/7 . I just think that if we're to call dogs man's best friend, we have to socialize with him. We're talking about a species like no other, when we talk about dogs.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:18 AM   #32
Sandi Kerger

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
When we were very young (early 20's) and very uninformed about having a dog and not being terribly responsible, we got a male Irish Setter - absolutely beautiful animal - but very hyper. After about a year, we got a female Irish Setter (from a pet store of all places - this was back in the days when no one knew about puppy mills). Anyway, we both worked all day and lived in the city. We loved both of the dogs very much, but they were both very hyper - we used to take them out to the country to run every day - they never seemed to get tired - have never seen a dog with so much energy - and they were definitely not the brightest bulbs around,but they were lovely dogs. They were very much people dogs, slept with us all the time. However, I did find them to be a lot of work, and they did shed,I thought, a fair bit. We had got our Male Setter from a reputable breeder, but he did have cherry eye, had to have surgery, and his eyes never did recover properly If you can believe it, we also had one litter of puppies - I am embarrassed to be telling everyone this, as I would never do something like this now. One of the stupid things we did when we were young. Anyway, not sure why I am writing this, but just maybe to tell you, that my experience with Setters has been that they are loving dogs, but a lot of work - and they do love being around their people - I can't imagine leaving them outside in a kennel all the time, I think they would get very lonely. I thought they were much more work to keep than our Havs. - maybe because of their size.
Sandi Kerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:12 AM   #33
My2Havs

Submit Photo: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciledodd View Post
I don't mean to be flippant, but have none of you seen the dogs greeting their soldiers who have been gone for a year. GS will stay all summer and be here most weekends. I have reared labs and trained them, beagles howl all the time, another German Shepherd is out of the question a good trained one is now around $15,000 and adopting one is not a good idea if you have little dogs or children around. I was reared in the country around a yard full of hound dog, mostly coon dogs. believe me they laid on the porch or under it most of the day. They only came awake when they were going hunting. Same with bloodhounds. AND i DO NOT BELIEVE THAT EVERY DOG SHOULD LIVE IN THE HOUSE WITH THE HUMANS. If that makes me a bad person then so be it. My protection dog lived outside all his life except when he got old and slept in the kitchen. I assure you that he was not mistreated and was content. He shed buckets of hair in the spring. No one could live with all that hair on the floor. All I want is a good adult dog for the grandson and one that I won't have to groom. Depending on the dog, it will live in the house or the garage. I trained a lab once, she was perfect when I got her trained, then my son came and got her--don't want another--they have to be at least 3 years old to be calm and not destroy everything in sight.
I think you're asking the wrong people in the wrong forum for a breed of dog that you may never let in the house. I'm older too, 66, but can't imagine ever owning any breed of dog that wasn't allowed to live in the house. Of course, I've never lived in the country like you, Lucille, but the relationship between you and your dog doesn't really change no matter where you live, only how you decide what that relationship is. And most people here seem to want social interaction with their dogs as much as possible. JMO...
Monica, Dooley & Roxie
P.S. I don't think the closeness between those dogs and returning soldiers got that way because they were left outside to live.
My2Havs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #34
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 34 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciledodd View Post
I don't mean to be flippant, but have none of you seen the dogs greeting their soldiers who have been gone for a year. GS will stay all summer and be here most weekends. I have reared labs and trained them, beagles howl all the time, another German Shepherd is out of the question a good trained one is now around $15,000 and adopting one is not a good idea if you have little dogs or children around. I was reared in the country around a yard full of hound dog, mostly coon dogs. believe me they laid on the porch or under it most of the day. They only came awake when they were going hunting. Same with bloodhounds. AND i DO NOT BELIEVE THAT EVERY DOG SHOULD LIVE IN THE HOUSE WITH THE HUMANS. If that makes me a bad person then so be it. My protection dog lived outside all his life except when he got old and slept in the kitchen. I assure you that he was not mistreated and was content. He shed buckets of hair in the spring. No one could live with all that hair on the floor. All I want is a good adult dog for the grandson and one that I won't have to groom. Depending on the dog, it will live in the house or the garage. I trained a lab once, she was perfect when I got her trained, then my son came and got her--don't want another--they have to be at least 3 years old to be calm and not destroy everything in sight.
Just had to high light a statement so everyone will see that you dont mean totaly out side
Old 02-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #35
windym300
Wendy

Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Lucille, if I'm not mistaken everything you mentioned an English Shepherd would be great for. They are very calm, loyal,great with kids(I have an 8 mth and 4 yr old grandsons and he's perfect with them),love outdoors and very smart. Usually they do live outside and take care of farms. You also don't have to groom them. I don't usually give my boy a bath but every few months or so and he lives in the house. There may be breeders that have older ones that they kept for some reason or other that didn't work out. And there is ES rescue. But you probably aren't going to find the perfect dog for your situation because no dog is perfect.. I know mine is perfect for me though. Also, when you ask for help on forums you are usually going to get lots of it..lol..Good luck and I hope you will find what you are looking for!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #36
Dory
Mom to Quincy and Myka

If you want a hound, I think the Plott's are gorgeous. http://www.akc.org/breeds/plott/index.cfm

I've had my share of golden retrievers and they are wonderful as well. Not a hound, but a great all around dog. Our last golden was actually more red than golden.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote