Havanese Forum banner

Crate recommendations for new puppy

Tags
crate
2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  puppy-love 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum since Our little hav puppy just arrived at our home on Friday so it has been 4 days with our little boy. The problem we are having is with his crate, we brought one online but it took Thor 1 day to create a hole in the "door", which is a type of mesh fabric. Before we shop for a new one I would like to know if anyone has models/brands to suggest. I just don't want to keep buying crates!

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

To make an official introduction, this is Thor!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I recommend a hard-sided dog crate. I purchased a small Petmate kennel from a local store when I first got my puppy but when she outgrew it I replaced it with a Pet Den Dog Crate from Drs Foster & Smith. This is what Emmie sleeps in at night and hangs out in whenever she wants. I'm really happy with her setup and she loves it too. :) P.S. Thor is VERY cute!

#3 ·
MarinaGirl,
Thank you for the recommendation! I was thinking about getting the wired one, but the Pet Den looks much nicer and cozier. Did you buy the small or petite? I want to make this will fit him till he's all grown up.

P.S.: What a coincidence, Emmie is also VERY cute ;-)

#4 · (Edited)
I prefer a hard-sided crate to a wire one; however, they're not as easy to block off. You don't want your little puppy in a big crate because then they might go potty in it. Dogs don't like to pee/poop where they sleep but if there's extra space in a kennel then they might do so. That's why I bought the little crate (not sure now if it was the petite or small size) to start out with so I didn't have to worry about it being too roomy, and then I purchased a bigger crate when Emmie was older and "larger" (she's only 8 lbs at 13 months). I also donated the first crate to a local animal shelter since I was no longer using it. Another tip I learned from the forums is to occasionally put treats in the crate because dogs don't like to pee/poop where they eat. Good luck! Jeanne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.