Share Thread Tools Display Modes
What to feed puppy
Old 02-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
Stanleys mom
AmyB

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Question What to feed puppy

I have a 12 week little boy that I bought from a charity auction 10 days ago. I've been feeding him dry Eukanuba puppy food and some training treats. Paperwork from the breading talks about feeding it some canned food at night, some honey at times? I've had a puppy about 20 years ago and thought maybe I'd see what you all thought. His stool is soft, not runny but sometimes forms a little pile instead of a tootsie roll type. It also seems like he poops more than he pees. At night we go out usually once, last night twice and he pooped both times. I take his food and water up about 7 pm and we get to bed about 10:30. Any suggestions?
Stanleys mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Stanleys mom
AmyB

So I just read on another thread where some suggested that by 12 weeks they should sleep all night in crate without going out? When Stanley wakes me I take him out about 2 am he gets right to business and is ready to come back in. What's weird to me is that he poops and then when I take him out again at like 6:30 am he poops again?
Old 02-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #3
Tuss

Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
dog food is a controversial topic, you'll find lots of opinions around here. If you look at the dog food industry and what they actually put in it it's actually pretty gross. There are some high end foods that are pretty good quality and the low end "grocery store brands" that are mostly filler and byproducts (think hoofs and beaks and entralls) and rather disgusting. Many people make their own (but you have to follow specific recipes in order to be nutritionally complete), etc. I personally feed a brand called ACANA after doing lots of research and trial and error, but it's a personal choice. Regardless of what you choose, you have to make any change slowly. Puppies have a very sensitive gut and any sudden change will cause runny poos. It will get better as they age, but what your describing sounds pretty normal for puppies.

Also, getting up in the middle of the night also sounds pretty normal for a young puppy.

You bought your puppy at an auction? That's very strange. What kind of breeder sells their puppy at an auction? I've never heard of that; even if it is for charity.

Finally, we have 1 rule around here; we need to see baby pictures of every new puppy on the forum!!!!

Tuss is offline   Reply With Quote
feeding stanley
Old 02-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Stanleys mom
AmyB

feeding stanley

thank you for your response. I will check into the food situation. I thought what I was buying from a pet store was better than grocery store, I guess maybe not good enough. I don't have a problem with spending more but need to feed him something thats cooked and ready, I can't prepare meals for him.

As far as the auction...it's common around here for the private schools that hold yearly auctions to have someone or a local business in my case, get a puppy from a breeder and donate him to the auction. The breeds vary, but they are AKC registered etc. I didn't visit the breeder, but I trust the person who did, so the breeder wasn't selling to auction but to an individual. I did look up the breeder online.
They posted a picture with info from breeder before the auction and I fell in love. I had never heard of Havanese but found lots of great info on here and other places. I owned a Maltese for 15 years. I decided it would be the perfect dog for our family. Unfortuntely someone else came to the auction with the intent to take him home as well, after a bidding war he's a very expensive addition to our family! We are St. Louis Cardinal fans and named him after the late Stan the Man. I will post pictures soon.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
Pipersmom
Julie

Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Hi Amy-Eukanuba is not a bad food, it gets a midtier rating. Here is a good site for dog food ratings:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

Like said above, everyone has different thoughts on food so I think you have to take the information and feed what you feel comfortable with and your dog likes and does well on. I have fed Wellness from day one and am very happy with it.

I think getting up in the night to take young puppies out is more the norm than the exception.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton
Pipersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
puppy-love

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm a new puppy owner too and no expert but the only time my puppy has been up at night (from 9-15 weeks) has been when her stool is runny in piles. We've added pumpkin to her food and she's back to pooping a tootsie roll shape and sleeping thru the night.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
puppy-love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
Stanleys mom
AmyB

Thanks for the replies! I knew lastnight when he got up at 2 am and pooped in pile and not tootsie roll that I should address this. He hadn't eaten since 7 pm and I thought it strange that he would have to go in the middle of the night, then he went first thing this morning too before he had eaten, same consistency. I'm going to chat with the vet about it tomorrow. thanks!

Tags
feeding puppy