Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
m0rg4n

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1998 View Post
Hi! I agree with Chica's mom, sleep is not too far away! Our pup is sleeping through the night. We were getting up for awhile if he cried but only on a strict timetable. Then magically one night he slept all the way through and he's been good ever since (except for a couple of 5AM wake ups, but those were usually if we went to bed earlier and/or took him out a little earlier). For us what seems to be working is to take up the water early and take him on a walk right before bedtime.

In your situation I would not suggest having him sleep with you because I would think you need an adaptable mobile dog. It really helps to have a crate trained dog if your lifestyle involves a lot of relocation.

Knowing that we'll be moving in another 2 1/2 years and the stress that will bring it just seems easier but also a lot kinder to have him used to sleeping in one space. The surroundings will change but the bed won't. As a bonus, it might also make traveling a little easier.
m0rg4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #12
Grindstone50

Submit Photo: 13
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Smile

Tired. That's me right now, just Tired. Indy has started to sleep better but it's still a crap shoot on how the night will go. Last night we went to bed around ten and he didn't get up until 3 and then slept until 6am. The night before he was awake for random reasons every hour or two. Even with last nights much better schedule I still wake up exhausted. I don't do the split sleepy times well. I want all of my sleep to happen at the same time... and preferably 9 to 10 hours of it. I just don't function well on less. So basically I'm not functioning at 100%.

Zoe (11 year old daughter) is still getting used to Indy being a constant. She says she feels like we're just watching him and he'll be going "home"

MY DOGS AS PUPS DID THE SAME ROUTINE FOR QUITE A WHILE, GETTING UP AT 3AM IS A "DOG!!" I WAS ADVISED WHEN GETTING UP AT THAT HOUR TO MAKE IT VERY MECHANICAL. TALK IS VERY VERY MINIMAL AND THERE IS NO REWARD. ON THE OTHER HAND THERE SHOULD BE POSITIVE HANDLING AND KARMA....I WENT TO BED EARLIER AND THE PUP TOO. IT WAS LIKE HAVING A BABY CHILD AGAIN.

MY 12 YR OLD DAUGHTER (AT THE TIME) WAS VERY JEALOUS!!! THOUGHT SHE HAD BEEN REPLACED. I SHOULD HAVE HAD A QUIET TIME SPECIFICALLY FOR HER...AND PUT MY PUPPY ( LILLY) ASIDE IN HER CRATE FOR AN HOUR OR SOEACH EVENING. AS THE DOGS, I HAVE THREE, GOT OLDER I DID ALWAYS PUT THEM TO BED BEFORE WE DID, SO THAT MY HUSBAND AND I COULD HAVE A BIT OF "PEOPLE TALK TIME" BEFORE WE WENT TO BED.
HOPE THIS HELPS SOME!
Grindstone50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
misstray

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
I remember the early days of not enough sleep very well and Brody DID sleep through the night for me from the day I got him. However, his morning started way earlier than I'd like! He'd get up between 4:30 and 5 the first while and that gradually got later. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and need my sleep to feel well, so this was hard for me and I just couldn't get to sleep at 8:00 in order to get enough! I lost something like 10 pounds the first month I had him and I was a walking zombie. But it gets better and faster than you'd think!

I had Brody's crate on the night table next to my bed so if he fussed at all during the night I could just poke my fingers in the crate and that would do the trick. He slowly started sleeping in a bit later than 5am and when I moved him to my bed when he was around 6 months or so, then he'd sleep much longer. He'd sleep happily until noon or later with me now if I didn't get up (he just turned 2).

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
ThorHav

Submit Photo: 0
I know how it feels! We have our 8 week old puppy for 6 days and the first two nights were not very pleasant! I also need to sleep through the night with no interruptions to function right. Luckly, Thor started sleeping for the whole night in his 3rd night with us. We actually placed his crate on the side of our bed and covered it with a towel, so he doesn't get distracted by seeing us. It seems to be working, but there is still the potty training which is going on baby steps. He is pretty good on going outside, however in the past two days he had many little accidents. Even tough I don't get upset with him, I feel disappointed with myself, for not being able to prevent it. But again, this is just his first week and eventually it will all make sense. We don't have kids yet and I can already tell that having a puppy is indeed a great preparation!

Raising a puppy is not an easy task, but I am sure with a lot of patience and consistency we all can do it! Good luck for us
ThorHav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #15
m0rg4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindstone50 View Post
MY DOGS AS PUPS DID THE SAME ROUTINE FOR QUITE A WHILE, GETTING UP AT 3AM IS A "DOG!!" I WAS ADVISED WHEN GETTING UP AT THAT HOUR TO MAKE IT VERY MECHANICAL. TALK IS VERY VERY MINIMAL AND THERE IS NO REWARD. ON THE OTHER HAND THERE SHOULD BE POSITIVE HANDLING AND KARMA....I WENT TO BED EARLIER AND THE PUP TOO. IT WAS LIKE HAVING A BABY CHILD AGAIN.

MY 12 YR OLD DAUGHTER (AT THE TIME) WAS VERY JEALOUS!!! THOUGHT SHE HAD BEEN REPLACED. I SHOULD HAVE HAD A QUIET TIME SPECIFICALLY FOR HER...AND PUT MY PUPPY ( LILLY) ASIDE IN HER CRATE FOR AN HOUR OR SOEACH EVENING. AS THE DOGS, I HAVE THREE, GOT OLDER I DID ALWAYS PUT THEM TO BED BEFORE WE DID, SO THAT MY HUSBAND AND I COULD HAVE A BIT OF "PEOPLE TALK TIME" BEFORE WE WENT TO BED.
HOPE THIS HELPS SOME!
There is no talking when we go out at night. After reading more it's recommended so the puppy knows it's not play time. For me it's more that speaking takes more brain power than I have at 3am. Up, outside, back to bed. He gets cuddled because he's carried (open backed stairs that he isn't allowed on yet) but that's it.

I honestly didn't even think about the possible sibling rivalry with Zoe. We haven't had any issues yet (except that Indy "likes" me more ... because I'm home all day, take him out at night and feed him). I think this weekend I'll leave the puppy at home and take the kid out for lunch. Thank you for mentioning this!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #16
m0rg4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstray View Post
I remember the early days of not enough sleep very well and Brody DID sleep through the night for me from the day I got him. However, his morning started way earlier than I'd like! He'd get up between 4:30 and 5 the first while and that gradually got later. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and need my sleep to feel well, so this was hard for me and I just couldn't get to sleep at 8:00 in order to get enough! I lost something like 10 pounds the first month I had him and I was a walking zombie. But it gets better and faster than you'd think!

I had Brody's crate on the night table next to my bed so if he fussed at all during the night I could just poke my fingers in the crate and that would do the trick. He slowly started sleeping in a bit later than 5am and when I moved him to my bed when he was around 6 months or so, then he'd sleep much longer. He'd sleep happily until noon or later with me now if I didn't get up (he just turned 2).
Indy's crate is on the floor right next to my side of the bed for the fingers in the crate reason. The first few nights I was pretty sure I was going to put my shoulder out of place because he wanted to sleep ON my fingers. It's hard to explain the strange contortions for my hand to hang off the side of the bed, fingers to fit in the crate door and be flat enough for him to rest his head on like a pillow. Luckily that isn't something that stayed a necessity.

Indy is waking up between 5 and 5:30 and while that is too early, the alarm goes off at 6 to get the kid up and ready for school so it isn't horrible. The weekends are a little painful though. At 11, Zoe has been getting her own breakfast and entertainment for a long time so it's been a while since I've had to get up in the mornings. Happily, Indy is a GREAT napper!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #17
m0rg4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorHav View Post
I know how it feels! We have our 8 week old puppy for 6 days and the first two nights were not very pleasant! I also need to sleep through the night with no interruptions to function right. Luckly, Thor started sleeping for the whole night in his 3rd night with us. We actually placed his crate on the side of our bed and covered it with a towel, so he doesn't get distracted by seeing us. It seems to be working, but there is still the potty training which is going on baby steps. He is pretty good on going outside, however in the past two days he had many little accidents. Even tough I don't get upset with him, I feel disappointed with myself, for not being able to prevent it. But again, this is just his first week and eventually it will all make sense. We don't have kids yet and I can already tell that having a puppy is indeed a great preparation!

Raising a puppy is not an easy task, but I am sure with a lot of patience and consistency we all can do it! Good luck for us
It was three nights of crate training for us too! The first two nights there was just no sleep at all but by the 3rd Indy was sleeping for 2 to 3 hours straight. With the knowledge that he ~could~ sleep longer the past few nights have been better with a light at the end of the sleep deprived tunnel.

I completely understand on the disappointment, not directed at the puppy but because *I* must be doing something wrong.

We had the kid first and now the puppy and yes - it is FANTASTIC preparation!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #18
m0rg4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chica'sMom View Post
How is Indy doing? Are you getting lots of sleep?
Just want to comment on something ThorHav said about potty training in above post. Baby steps is exactly what you get with an eight week old pup. It can take months and months to house train a puppy. I consider myself pretty good at this stuff and my pup just 'got it' at 9 months. (That's with me home full time and being VERY consistent with taking her out. She was ALWAYS in the room I was in so I could watch her.) The only way you can try to 'prevent' accidents is to not let the pup out of your sight and to take him outside over and over and over. And over.
Things are moving in the right direction. Indy was still waking up for a few nights but I would ignore the wimpers and he'd go back to sleep in less than five minutes. Last night he slept for 7 hours and I took him out at 4:30. We'd gone to bed early and I was hoping if I took him out then he'd be able to make it to 6 - which he did. This weekend we'll keep working at it and hope to push to a solid 8 hours a night.

The biggest problem for me is that I've got the "Mom Ears" turned on so I'm still waking up multipul times a night to different noises. Sometimes Indy's bad dreams or even my daughter rolling over (metal framed beds make a lot of noise!) in her room. That will get better as I adjust to the fact that Indy doesn't need me checking on him to continue to breath.

Potty training is constantly paying attention. I'm still not sold that we're training ~them~ but that we're training ourselves to pick up on their cues ... at least in the beginning. I will be much happier to spend time outside when it's no longer below 30 degrees!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #19
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
I am happy to hear things are getting better! I hope you get a full 8 hours of sleep tonight
Old 02-23-2013, 04:15 AM   #20
m0rg4n

Last night Indy went to bed around 10pm and didn't wake up until around 6am! I went to bed at 9 so I had nearly NINE HOURS of sleep! I feel like a new person

Thank you for all your suggestions and commiseration!