Parkinson's - Page 4 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Family and Friends > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop A good place for chit-chat

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #31
davetgabby
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 8,569
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaneseSoon View Post
Did you get my pm Dave?
yep
__________________
Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #32
Suzi
Senior Member
 
Suzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Linn Oregon
Posts: 4,744
Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 38 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
This was not a good week. On Wednesday I was to see a neurologist about some issues I was having ,especially with my left arm. Turns out he's pretty sure I have the early signs of Parkinson's. My wife has given me a couple of articles to read . I haven't quite found the courage to read them yet lol. But I was wondering if I could find a buddy on the forum that has this disease so I could share and learn. Please email me privately if you're up to it. Thanks Dave .
Ah Dave that's not a fun thing to hear. I'm hoping you found a buddy on the forum to talk with to share and learn. I have a friend who's doctor miss diagnosed her with a bad cancer. She was given a year to live with no treatment. Well it turned out she didn't progress like he thought and she never did have what he said. I guess I'm just praying he may be wrong. What kind of test is it? If you don't mind sharing?
__________________
Maddie at 5mo old
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #33
atsilvers27
Senior Member
 
atsilvers27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bergen County NJ
Posts: 851
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
So sorry to hear this Dave. I don't person ally know anyone with the disease, but my MIL has RA. Hers is quite advanced now, but it seems to me that holding onto anger and bitterness really do age the body, just an observation. Thinking positively helps us to manage the cards we've been dealt. I'm certain you already eat healthy, but if not I'm sure that helps. This has to do with MS and lupus, but those are both autoimmune diseases and so is Parkinson's, but it was a big thing that just came out that artificial sweeteners such as those found in diet sodas cause symptoms very similar to MS. In fact, scientists now think that many people who drink diet sodas and are diagnosed as MS or lupus actually have formaldehyde poisoning (or whatever the sweetener is called I know after it heats up to 86 degrees it turns into formaldehyde). After they stop.drinking it often the symptoms vanish. So healthy, wholesome diet, rest, exercise and avoid high stress. You can also get a second opinion as well. I don't believe our lives are written out in stone already. We have the ability to make the best of what we've got.
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #34
davetgabby
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 8,569
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
Ah Dave that's not a fun thing to hear. I'm hoping you found a buddy on the forum to talk with to share and learn. I have a friend who's doctor miss diagnosed her with a bad cancer. She was given a year to live with no treatment. Well it turned out she didn't progress like he thought and she never did have what he said. I guess I'm just praying he may be wrong. What kind of test is it? If you don't mind sharing?
Thanks Suzi, actually there is no definitive test. It's more or less a determination from the symptoms. Mind you they do rule out things with a bunch of electrical shocks and dexterity tests. Funny thing is I can do push ups ,lift a heavy box , but have a hard time tightening the lid on a jar with my left arm. He noticed a bit of a slow left leg when I walk and sometimes my speech is softer. I guess it's the combination of tests ,but there is no blood test or MRI test that shows something definitive. I have a lot to learn , as this is pretty sketchy right now.
__________________
Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #35
davetgabby
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 8,569
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsilvers27 View Post
So sorry to hear this Dave. I don't person ally know anyone with the disease, but my MIL has RA. Hers is quite advanced now, but it seems to me that holding onto anger and bitterness really do age the body, just an observation. Thinking positively helps us to manage the cards we've been dealt. I'm certain you already eat healthy, but if not I'm sure that helps. This has to do with MS and lupus, but those are both autoimmune diseases and so is Parkinson's, but it was a big thing that just came out that artificial sweeteners such as those found in diet sodas cause symptoms very similar to MS. In fact, scientists now think that many people who drink diet sodas and are diagnosed as MS or lupus actually have formaldehyde poisoning (or whatever the sweetener is called I know after it heats up to 86 degrees it turns into formaldehyde). After they stop.drinking it often the symptoms vanish. So healthy, wholesome diet, rest, exercise and avoid high stress. You can also get a second opinion as well. I don't believe our lives are written out in stone already. We have the ability to make the best of what we've got.
Thanks, yeah who knows what these chemicals can do, but you're so right, there's a lot we can do to help cope. And I need to do more and worry less, for sure. If only my wife was healthy, I wouldn't worry about this so much. I will be also seeing a specialist in Parkinsons but the guy I saw already is a leading neurologist in Ontario. Thanks for your support.
__________________
Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #36
Suzi
Senior Member
 
Suzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Linn Oregon
Posts: 4,744
Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 38 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
Thanks Suzi, actually there is no definitive test. It's more or less a determination from the symptoms. Mind you they do rule out things with a bunch of electrical shocks and dexterity tests. Funny thing is I can do push ups ,lift a heavy box , but have a hard time tightening the lid on a jar with my left arm. He noticed a bit of a slow left leg when I walk and sometimes my speech is softer. I guess it's the combination of tests ,but there is no blood test or MRI test that shows something definitive. I have a lot to learn , as this is pretty sketchy right now.
Okay well it sounds like you are in good hands. We all care about you and life sometimes does throw us some bad curve balls. From reading others posts it sounds like medication has come a long way with this disease.
__________________
Maddie at 5mo old
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #37
Luciledodd
Senior Member
 
Luciledodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Paris, TN
Posts: 2,496
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Dave I had to think a while before commenting. I have had such a hard time since the heart surgery and now I have a gall bladder issue and My last sister died last month, so I am blue and not someone that can cheer you up. However, we had a yound employee that had PD and he finally had to quit. But Larry had an soldier in the State Guard with him that is Larry's age and he is still coming to drill and doing fine with medication. I know that we don't agree on "pecking order" and dominance, etc; but we both have a sense of humor that I love and I don't pay much attention to that I don't agree with. No matter what you think about me getting another dog, I am going to Louisville this coming weekend to get a purebred English Shepherd. I found that the setter was not a very smart breed and besides I didn't know what traumas it had been through. I just want you to know that I think of you as a valued friend and pray that you will get the meds you need.
__________________
Luciledodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #38
Lily528
Member
 
Lily528's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 77
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dave, I am really sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Having a chronic disease myself, I can only say that it is so important to find a great doctor, one who is up on all the latest research, and will also take the time to answer all your questions. I sometimes go into my appts. with a written list of questions and take notes. Wishing you all the best!
Lily528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #39
sashamom
Linda - Sasha's Mom
 
sashamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Renton WA
Posts: 283
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
This was not a good week. On Wednesday I was to see a neurologist about some issues I was having ,especially with my left arm. Turns out he's pretty sure I have the early signs of Parkinson's. My wife has given me a couple of articles to read . I haven't quite found the courage to read them yet lol. But I was wondering if I could find a buddy on the forum that has this disease so I could share and learn. Please email me privately if you're up to it. Thanks Dave .
Dave I do not post much but just had to respond to your post. I have two friends with Parkinsons and a former father in law (he passed at 98). I can tell you that from what I have seen it may slow you down some but not as much as you may think. Good thoughts and prayers coming your way. I do know that one of the doctors recommended my friend get a ninetindo or Xbox and do the fun games that keep you moving. Exercise really helps as will doggie kisses. Spousal kisses help alot also! Hugs to you. Linda
__________________
Linda & Sasha
sashamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #40
Pipersmom
Julie
 
Pipersmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,440
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'm sorry you got this news Dave. You are a positive person and I know that will help you with the challenges that lie ahead.

Wishing the best for you.
Julie
__________________
Julie, Piper and Riley

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton
Pipersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 PM.


A vBSkinworks Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.