Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #11
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabojenny View Post
Congrats, sounds like you had a great weekend! Timmy and I have taken a hiatus with training until my mom gets better. I felt bad with him missing so many classes so we're concentrating on our fundamentals at home. I will be getting back in the swing over the dead of winter when he'll need some activity since being outside will be limited. My mom is on the mend and will be leaving for Florida in about a week which will be good for her. Timmy and the rest of us are planning on going down between Christmas and New Years. I've been working with him on accepting his carrier which he will now go into when I tell him "in" hopefully his first plane trip won't cause any surprises!
Sometimes they come back from a break from training with a renewed enthusiasm, and make progress even faster! Your mom is lucky to have a daughter who will take care of her the way you have!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
krandall
Metrowest, MA

He's a video of one of our runs this weekend. This was his Level 3 run on the first day.

Last edited by krandall; 12-17-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Here is his Level 2 run on the second day. I lost him against the back wall... This is a common problem in this ring... It is part of a shelter, and they often store dog food deliveries against that wall... Makes it VERY tempting!!! Otherwise he was good, though!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #14
krandall
Metrowest, MA

And here's his second Level 3 run of the weekend. There are a lot of problems with this one, but I thought I'd show it to you for a couple of reasons. First, to show those of you who might be afraid to show that things can go wrong, and you can still Q with a reasonable score. Second, to show people how very sensitive these dogs can be.

To explain what went wrong, you will see that he does his jump nicely, but gets ahead of me on the landing. That goes into a 270 to the right, RIGHT in front of the out gate. He started toward the out gate, and on top of me not wanting him to leave the ring, there was a reactive border collie sitting there. So I yelled. Not really AT him, but to get his attention before he got himself in trouble with the other dog. (who was well controlled by his owner BTW, and did nothing to make the situation worse)

But Kodi is a sensitive enough dog that this was enough to shut him down. You will see that from that point until we were close to done, he periodically shut down on me again, and I had to practically cheer lead to get him around the ring. I also took advantage of almost EVERY place I could give him a food reward to get him more in the game again. That's why there is more leaping around than you usually see in him. I really didn't care... I wanted more to get back to him having fun than I wanted the Q. The good news is that he ended on an up-beat note, and left the ring happy. The Q was just a bonus!

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting for you to see a run where not everything goes perfectly, too!

Last edited by krandall; 12-17-2012 at 10:03 PM.