Some Advice Pls: New Hav Owner - Page 4 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Training Tips and Advice

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #31
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 68 Times in 68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarika View Post
Hobbes was the star of his obedience class today! He is great at hand targeting. Can do both hands and we are starting work on moving target. The lesson today was "watch me and eye contact." That was an easy one for him because it seems to be his default. He has the sit down 10/10 (I know, nothing is ever really perfect) and we are working on down.

I have decided to use "here" as a recall word. Because he is such a shy dog, he's had too many experiences with "come" and then chase by my roommates, or admittedly me, before I put a stop to that.

I'm so excited. He did great in class skills wise, but he also took treats from several other people and even gave one play bow to another small dog!

I'm sure there will be set backs but he is moving in the right direction.
Absolutely AWESOME!!! Yay for BOTH of you!!!

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #32
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
It's really refreshing to hear you're doing so much for this dog. So many people buy a dog and don't do what's best for the dog. I am happy to hear he has made such progress!

I didn't read this entire thread so I apologize if I repeat what others have said. Aa far as the separation anxiety. Are you following what Tia said to do? All my guys had separation anxiety, but I was able to cure it. As adults, they are very content being alone. Make sure you are putting him in the crate when your home too. Walk out of the room for 5 minutes and come back when he is quiet. If he is crying, shout quiet from where you are in the house. The second he is quiet, walk in the room but don't look or talk to him. He might be whining, but ignore him until he is quiet. Then turn to him and say, good boy! You should do this several times a day when you are home. If he doesn't quiet when you shout, you can make a loud nose along with saying, quiet. I used bongo drums My guys were easier because I got them as pups. Bella was the oldest at 7 months old. I would say they stopped the barking after a long weekend of doing this many times throughout that weekend. Now when I leave, I always give them a treat and tell them I am going to work. I think they actually look forward to me leaving. I hope this helps! Good luck.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #33
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
PS. For the pee pad training. Put a piece of poo on the pee pad.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #34
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
Glad to hear that he did so well in class and has related to other people and dogs. You're doing great and he will get there because he has you in his corner. Keep up the good work.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is online now   Reply With Quote