. - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #21
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
you should be able too, ask your vet!!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #22
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
I will ask him when the next rabies are due. Thanks Tammy!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #23
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Stupid me - I just figured they did give a weight appropriate dosage! They do for medications. I will ask that as well. I did ask about the Thimerasol-free Rabies vaccine, which our vet gives, although I do know some vets do not. Augie is a bit past due for his. The vet was not going to give it to him until he had recovered from his UTI. I keep hearing that they are working on extending the length of time between Rabies vaccines to five years. It is three years here. I think, in some areas, it is every year?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #24
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 34 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherslittlehelper View Post
Stupid me - I just figured they did give a weight appropriate dosage! They do for medications. I will ask that as well. I did ask about the Thimerasol-free Rabies vaccine, which our vet gives, although I do know some vets do not. Augie is a bit past due for his. The vet was not going to give it to him until he had recovered from his UTI. I keep hearing that they are working on extending the length of time between Rabies vaccines to five years. It is three years here. I think, in some areas, it is every year?
yeah Linda , hopefully, Dr. Schultz Rabies Challenge Fund study will have a big influence on a lot of jurisdiction's' decisions. see http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/ and another interesting link from that site is this one on EXEMPTIONS from AVMA http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/l...ination-policy

Last edited by davetgabby; 02-10-2013 at 12:01 PM.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #25
Caroline

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
My dog Lily, who is part Havanese, had a mild reaction to the first shot and was premedicated with Benadryl for the second one. Despite that, she had a horrible reaction to her second rabies shot- we almost lost her. Since then, I have done a lot of reading on Dodds and Shultz's work, referenced in Dave's reply. Rabies is required by law here, but my vet will write a waiver, and we'll draw titers in a couple years when she is due according to the law.

I think supporting Dodds and Schultz's research by asking vets to comply with their recommendations will do a lot to increase awareness of the fact that vaccines have the potential to do harm. We don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and I think we still need to give some vaccines....but the discussions that are happening in these forums are the ones we need to have to help determine exactly which ones...and how often. This is a great place to get advice like that!
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #26
davetgabby
Dave T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita View Post
My dog Lily, who is part Havanese, had a mild reaction to the first shot and was premedicated with Benadryl for the second one. Despite that, she had a horrible reaction to her second rabies shot- we almost lost her. Since then, I have done a lot of reading on Dodds and Shultz's work, referenced in Dave's reply. Rabies is required by law here, but my vet will write a waiver, and we'll draw titers in a couple years when she is due according to the law.

I think supporting Dodds and Schultz's research by asking vets to comply with their recommendations will do a lot to increase awareness of the fact that vaccines have the potential to do harm. We don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and I think we still need to give some vaccines....but the discussions that are happening in these forums are the ones we need to have to help determine exactly which ones...and how often. This is a great place to get advice like that!
Y
Well said. Thanks for that. Yeah it's not unusual to have a worse reaction the second time. Good for you for getting a waiver. I bet the titers will be positive for life. JMO
Old 02-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #27
Tuss

Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chica'sMom View Post
Is your dog vaccinated for rabies? Any reaction to same? Chica is just over 10 months old. Not vaccinated yet. It is required by law here ... but I'm not sure I want her to have it. She is never out of my sight, off leash or in the woods. Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks!
Since I live in the same province as you I know the area. There was a confirmed feline rabies case here just a few months ago. My vet recommended every 3 years. She also recommended having benedryl on hand just in case of a vaccine reaction; make sure you get the appropriate dosage ahead of time (and the measuring syringe to give it) and dont' wait until you need it. I think you should vaccinate at least once, do titres after that if you are uncomfortable.

If your dog were to bite someone and it wasn't vaccinated there is a chance it could be quarantined and even put down.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...at-rabies.html

Last edited by Tuss; 02-11-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Tuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #28
Caroline

Dave- it will be interesting to see what her titers show as she ages. I used to give my dogs every vaccine because I thought I was doing the right thing. It pays to be informed, but I think most people are not aware of newer recommendations. I know I wasn't.... and many vets aren't volunteering that info.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #29
davetgabby
Dave T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita View Post
Dave- it will be interesting to see what her titers show as she ages. I used to give my dogs every vaccine because I thought I was doing the right thing. It pays to be informed, but I think most people are not aware of newer recommendations. I know I wasn't.... and many vets aren't volunteering that info.
The message is definitely getting out. Five years ago we weren't even talking about vacs. Do you want to make a side bet . On the side .? lol
Old 02-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #30
Caroline

Ha ha...might be pretty sure bet- and in this economy, any supplemental income is good. Buys a few more bully sticks!