Havanese Forum banner

Looking for a Breeder in or close to Niagara Ontario

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  misstray 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I am new to this forum but have been reading it for quite some time. I would like to buy a Havanese sometime in the next year. I was wondering if anyone knows some breeders in my area ( Niagara Ontario). I know a few that look good but i don't trust my instincts because this is my first dog. I would love some help from experienced owners.

Thanks so much!

#2 ·
The ones you've identified as looking promising should be followed up with a visit. You'll get a good sense of the place when you meet the dogs and the owner in person. Most breeders will welcome a visit; if they don't then it's a big red flag.

#5 ·
Yes, I did today. It was very helpful. I didn't know a lot of those things. I have so much to learn before I actually go looking for a puppy. I have been researching Havanese dogs for about a year but I know I have so much more to learn. I love this forum for that reason!

#6 ·
another option is to see if there are any dog shows in your area, then go watch the havanese and talk to the people showing there dogs. They will tell you where they are from (many are breeders) and can give you insight into different breeders.

The website www.canuckdogs.com will give you a listing of all upcoming dog shows in Canada. Look for "confirmation" which is just dog talk for dog show (as opposed to obedience). Usually you can find a schedule of events on that website that will list what time the havanese is being showed and how many are there. I was at a show last weekend (doing obedience) but there were 4 havanese in the show ring and one of the handlers was also a breeder and was very helpful in answering my questions. Her dogs were beautiful!

Other things you should look out for: make sure the dog is coming with CKC registration papers (probably will come with a no show no breed clause but that's okay). Google the kennel name and look for complaints. Many puppy mills have fancy websites that make them look like a reputable kennel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.