Havanese Forum banner

So many questions!

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Suzi 
#1 ·
Greetings All!.. So nice to be able to have some free time to get back into action on this forum! I feel like its going to take forever to see all these cute new little puppies on here and read what has been going on.
We have been so blessed, again but the support and love from this forum when I tell people the response we received from all of you they are shocked!

Anyway.... a few problems here on Mossimo Island
#1 - He never poops on his pad! 7/8 times when he is out playing free he runs back to the pad to do peeps but he always runs to a place that is dark and where he has privacy (the hallway or dining room to poop)
As I mentioned we are staying with my grandparents and they are not thrilled with the fact that Mossimo continues to poop in the dining room or have accidents on their rug! :frusty: Anyone?...Unless he is locked in his expen,he will do poops there, but its like he waits to be let out to go in the dining room

#2 he is still biting my hands.. so fustrating.....
We have been very leanent (sp) with him as to all the changes in location and routines and I just dont want to start bad habits. I dont know why all day he can run to his pee pad when he is out and playing and then he goes somewhere else to pee.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, I really think they get confused when trained on the pads. Rugs feel soft just like the pads. Zoey likes my bath mat its white and I think she thinks its a piddle pad. Can you put gates up? Its hard when you aren't in your own home. When I moved to my sisters I had to put the pads in three different places and it worked . Puppy's will bite and it calms down eventually. Maddie stopped much earlier than Zoey. Zoe still is more mouthy than her sister but its a very soft bite. PS at least the poop is easier to clean up:) and use some rug cleaner that has a pet odor . I use Woolite pet cleaner.

#3 ·
hey, hang in there!

1) my little guy never ever poops on a pee pad. and every rainy season, or when it starts to get cold, he wusses out and won't go outside to pee or poop (backyard), and will pick a corner or a throw rug as his victim. I gave up last yr and just put down pee pads by the door to the backyard. he'll still do his thing on walks, but that's mostly marking trees.

as for why he holds it for the dining room, it's a habit now. and he can probably smell he's been there before. you should block off his destination poop spot, or watch him, so he doesn't do it anymore.

2) if you don't want him to 'bite' your hand don't let him. I assume he's doing this as a play behavior. when he does it, just yowl or say ouch loudly and leave. at least 2 minutes. be consistent and he'll get the hint.

#4 ·
I have a dining room pooper as well. Dogs don't like to go where they live. They try to find a part of the house where they don't spend much time and go in private. To him the dining room or a dark closet is sort of like going in the corner of the back yard! When i'm travelling I try as best I can to predict when she needs to go and take her out for a walk and hopefully do her business. I crate her when i know she might have to go but won't, and only allow free rein of someone else's house when I know she is empty (for both pee and poop). It's exhausting but works.

#5 ·
I have a living room pooper (because there is carpet there). We blocked it off so he can't get in now... we also cleaned the carpet and make the kids play in there on the carpet so he knows it's part of the house. He's better, but we keep an eye on him... I see him sniffing there sometimes ;)

#6 ·
Greetings All!.. So nice to be able to have some free time to get back into action on this forum! I feel like its going to take forever to see all these cute new little puppies on here and read what has been going on.
We have been so blessed, again but the support and love from this forum when I tell people the response we received from all of you they are shocked!

Anyway.... a few problems here on Mossimo Island
#1 - He never poops on his pad! 7/8 times when he is out playing free he runs back to the pad to do peeps but he always runs to a place that is dark and where he has privacy (the hallway or dining room to poop)
As I mentioned we are staying with my grandparents and they are not thrilled with the fact that Mossimo continues to poop in the dining room or have accidents on their rug! :frusty: Anyone?...Unless he is locked in his expen,he will do poops there, but its like he waits to be let out to go in the dining room

#2 he is still biting my hands.. so fustrating.....
We have been very leanent (sp) with him as to all the changes in location and routines and I just dont want to start bad habits. I dont know why all day he can run to his pee pad when he is out and playing and then he goes somewhere else to pee.
He is too young to be given free reign to run into other rooms, even if he hadn't had so much turmoil in his young life. You just have to keep him (literally) on a shorter lead. If you can't gate off the rooms where he is likely to have problems, keep him tethered to you when he's out of his ex-pen, so you know exactly where he is, and he can't sneak off.

As far as the hand nipping is concerned, if he doesn't stop at a sharp "OUCH!!!" from you, try keeping a small soft toy in your pocket at all times. If he goes for your hands, hand him the toy instead. Let him exercise his teeth while practicing an acceptable behavior, rather than telling him what "not" to do. Someone else on the forum (I think it was Missy) was able to get the teeth put away on her puppy but putting a little butter on her hand, then praising him hugely for LICKING rather than biting.

If these tactics aren't enough, you need to play hardball. The minute he gets mouthy, say nothing at all, but IMMEDIATELY pick him up and put him in his ex-pen without saying a word. COMPLETELY ignore him for 30 seconds, then let him out again to play. You have to be VERY consistent with this. He will soon learn that nipping means a cease of all fun, and that if he keeps his teeth to himself, the play continues.

#8 ·
Some puppy's like to have more space to poop Maddie ran along a fence back and forth. Maybe in large the area. I use an $18 dollar outdoor mat I got at home depot . The backside is rubber and repeals the pee. I have a gate around three corners. It works to keep them in the potty area. I have found the piddle pads leek so the rubber mat really helps to sanitize. Although my area is on a rug so I'm protecting that. It is hard to be at someone else s home. It is just not as relaxing to have a puppy causing problems. Hope everything is going well otherwise .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.