Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Grooming

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #21
Rosie Tomato

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
Are you sure you are getting all the mats out while combing? You need to do small sections at a time. I have been surprised when I thought I had them all out and while drying find more. Wood pin brushed don't do much for mats. They help keep the static down for a finish brushing.
I'm surprised the comb you have doesn't get far enough in to the coat. Zoey has a very thick coat and has been a pain but my comb is my major tool. I hardly ever even use my pin brush. I picked out the pin brush at a show with a very knowledgeable breeder and she said you don't want it to hurt your arm. That's what i would have troubles with ordering on line . You really cant feel the stiffness. My favorite comb is actually my small one 4 or 5 inches long. I work in sections starting at the bottom and pulling down the next layer of hair. The amount of hair I'm able to hold and bring down slowly isn't very much more than about 3 inches wide and I can see the skin. Even with thick coated havanese you can still see the shin. If its all one huge mat then you need to get professorial help or plan to spend hours slowly getting them out. s It sounds like you are not combing right. And you keep buying tools to help make it easier Like I said my major tool is my small comb and it was bought at a pet store for about $12 Maybe you could take her to a groomer and have them show you. I had a havanese breeder show me from start to finish when I was showing Zoey at about 6mo old. She likes the slicker brush the best. Zoey. is just over two years old and is just recently getting easier.
Another thing I just recently figured out is I wasn't rinsing out the conditioner as well as I should. And i'm staying away from any products that have a build up it just makes since that product build up is a factor in more mating. Sorry this is so long but I hope you learn to use the comb you have and stop buying everything that you think will make life easier to groom.
Or you will end up with too many tools that you never use.
Thanks, I don't think I am using the comb well at all. I think the dematter may have 'roughed up' her hair in spots so that they quickly remat. Then the comb pulls and she hates it. I will rededicate myself to combing with cornstarch, and try my smaller comb. Do you think Ice on Ice, or conditioner spray may also be building up? Hopefully the damaged hair will grow out over time, and maybe I'll give her a little haircut to help it along. Any other combing tips would be welcome. What type of slicker brush do you use? You're right, I am searching for the magic tool to help with this, and it might be out there, but I need to figure out an effective and efficient grooming routine.
Regarding using tables, beds, laps and floors for grooming, I have tried all, and have had the hardest time on beds and floors. It's hard to get everywhere when she's on my lap. The table is the most direct. Rosie will stand on her hind legs briefly so I can try to get her belly and chest, but there are some contortions involved for me. Then again, Rosie fusses about grooming wherever, and for hours. We'll see how this changes as we rethink her routine and I get more zen about it
Thanks again, I appreciate all the advice!
Debbie
Rosie Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #22
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
in my opinion you should not be using a slicker brush at all. at least if blowing coat is done.
That may be rough on her skin as well as damaging her coat...

Get a Chris Christensen #005 buttercomb, go easy on the ice on ice, instead get a regular squirt bottle squirt some conditioner and then fill the rest with water, spray lightly as you comb her getting the tines on the comb ALL the way to her skin.
Ditch the brush. and commit to thouroughly combing her out every.single. evening.
If that isn't realistic have her shaved down and start with fresh coat growth!
None of us enjoy the way they look shaved down, but sometimes it is the best thing to do. and remember, hair always GROWS!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #23
Rosie Tomato

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
in my opinion you should not be using a slicker brush at all. at least if blowing coat is done.
That may be rough on her skin as well as damaging her coat...

Get a Chris Christensen #005 buttercomb, go easy on the ice on ice, instead get a regular squirt bottle squirt some conditioner and then fill the rest with water, spray lightly as you comb her getting the tines on the comb ALL the way to her skin.
Ditch the brush. and commit to thouroughly combing her out every.single. evening.
If that isn't realistic have her shaved down and start with fresh coat growth!
None of us enjoy the way they look shaved down, but sometimes it is the best thing to do. and remember, hair always GROWS!
I have the CC #5 comb. I will rededicate myself to using that, my smaller comb and not much else. As always, thanks for any and all advice.
Rosie Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #24
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
awesome! you can do this!!