Doggie Door - Page 5 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #41
Kathie

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
When we got ours McGee just buzzed right through it in and out! Abby not quite so fast. She is our cautious one so it took her a while. We tried holding treats on the other side and one of us sort of pushing her through but for her it was just a matter of time and feeling comfortable. If one of us is going in or out she still prefers the "big door" but McGee will wait for us to go out the regular door and then he zips out the doggie door - he loves that thing!!!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #42
Dory
Mom to Quincy and Myka

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
All of this doggy door talk has convinced me to get one. We have a sliding patio door that goes from our bedroom out into the deck and fenced back yard. Now that we're going to have two, I guess it's time to get that dog door!
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #43
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
I wish we had a door that went out toward the yard so we could put in a dog door. Unfortunately, both our front and back doors are on the same side of the house, and go out onto the driveway. There's NO WAY that my husband would agree to putting a dog door through the wall of the house.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #44
Renee

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
I wish we had a door that went out toward the yard so we could put in a dog door. Unfortunately, both our front and back doors are on the same side of the house, and go out onto the driveway. There's NO WAY that my husband would agree to putting a dog door through the wall of the house.
I was in the same boat, as far as husband not agreeing to put a doggie door in the side of the house UNTIL he put a pond in the backyard. He told me he didn't want the dogs pooping by the pond. I asked him if he was going to post a sign for them, or what?!? Cause they're gonna poop where they want! So our side yard is a fenced in separate area from the pond. So I strategically suggested my idea of the wall doggie door again off of the office. Suddenly he thinks it's a plausible idea!!

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."
Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #45
Sheri

Submit Photo: 11
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 10 Posts
Old 07-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #46
Mojo's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
There's NO WAY that my husband would agree to putting a dog door through the wall of the house.
The husband is the problem ;-)

We had no choice but to put a dog door through the wall. I simply cannot imagine life without the doggie door!

Our flaps measure 8 1/2 x 11 1/2 and the threshold is 6 inches off the ground. Mojo is 17 pounds and Libby is 12 pounds. Both fit through easily, especially when they are not trying to go through at the same time!

My breeder had a doggie door at her home, so Mojo began learning his house training before he even got home to me, and I know the training was greatly accelerated by the dog door. He practically house trained himself.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #47
Renee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo's Mom View Post
The husband is the problem ;-)

We had no choice but to put a dog door through the wall. I simply cannot imagine life without the doggie door!

Our flaps measure 8 1/2 x 11 1/2 and the threshold is 6 inches off the ground. Mojo is 17 pounds and Libby is 12 pounds. Both fit through easily, especially when they are not trying to go through at the same time!

My breeder had a doggie door at her home, so Mojo began learning his house training before he even got home to me, and I know the training was greatly accelerated by the dog door. He practically house trained himself.
Do you get any other "critters" that come in your house? I'm trying to decide on the really good flaps, or the electronic door that has a sensor on their collar. I would prefer the flap. Would snakes get in with a flap??

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."
Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #48
Mojo's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Do you get any other "critters" that come in your house? I'm trying to decide on the really good flaps, or the electronic door that has a sensor on their collar. I would prefer the flap. Would snakes get in with a flap??
My door is the double magnetic flap kind, it opens onto the screened porch. Then the guys have another dog door through the screen, just a simple flap, and out to the fenced hard.

Many of my neighbors have flap dog doors. We live on acreage in the Florida countryside, full of critters including snakes, but the only "critter" I ever heard of anyone getting in their dog door was when my girlfriend's dog brought in another dog from someone else's house!

That said, they can all be closed off completely with a plastic panel, so it can be closed entirely at night or any other time.