Havanese Forum banner

Aggression Towards a Specific Person?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Ewokpup 
#1 ·
My pup Olive is nearly 3 months old and we've had him for a little over 3 weeks. He's doing really well for the most part - minimal whining, doing well with basic commands, etc. But here's the thing - I live with my girlfriend and Olive is significantly more aggressive toward her than me. Over the past week and a half he's gotten a lot better about nipping me and does it pretty rarely (I use the yelp/ignore method when he bites me and then praise him when he gnaws on a toy). He's still very nippy with my partner though and she's getting frustrated. He often ignores his toys just to bite her feet/hands. He's also started humping her fairly often. Even though she yelps/ignores him/leaves the room/praises him when he grabs a toy pretty much the same way I do, he definitely goes after her more often. Any one else had this problem of aggression toward a specific family member? Any words of advice?

#5 ·
it's play. I hand and foot play with my little guy, and he only does it with me. it took me a while to figure out why he'd sometimes nibble on my hand when I tried to pet his head. he wanted to play. I only hand play with him, b/c my other dogs are 85 lbs and 140 lbs. and I like my hands attached to my arms.
If his 'nipping' is unwanted behavior, then listen to Dave. all play needs to have rules, like stopping when you say so.

#6 ·
you're right Jacqueline., it isn't aggression, but with any mouth on skin activity, one wants to limit it. It's important that young pups do nip so that we can teach them how not to. The Dog Star Daily article talks about teaching bite inhibition , and it is very important, even for a small dog .

#7 ·
Thanks folks! Very helpful advice. As for obedience classes, I can't really afford them. But! We do click training in short bursts 4-5 times a day and he's already figured out sit, down, off, and we're working on come and fetch. In fact, I think he might be less inclined to bite me because I do so much more training with him than my partner does. He's smart and I know he'll get the biting thing!

#8 ·
Remember that by skipping a puppy kindergarten class, not only are you missing a training opportunity, but MUCH MORE IMPORTANT, your puppy is missing out on critical socialization during the MOST IMPORTANT few months of his life. You will never regain this sensitive period. If you are not going to do a formal puppy K, you need to make the commitment to arranging off-leash social opportunities for him with MANY other dogs/puppies on a regular basis over the next few weeks. And you need to have the experience to know what GOOD social interactions are, when to step back and when to step in.

You only have a few weeks to start your puppy off on the right foot with social skills. (which also helps with bite inhibition, BTW) After that, it gets MUCH harder.

#9 ·
I couldn't agree more Karen. A dear friend has a 1 year old Maltese that's great with people, but wasn't properly socialized with dogs. She is a nightmare. I certainly want to avoid that fate with Olive. Fortunately, some places in my area (petco for example) offer free puppy playtime groups. My plan is to take Olive to as many as possible. I can also take him to the dog park for tiny dogs. I also have some friends with dogs who can play with Olive. Hopefully that will be enough!

#10 ·
Great. Sounds like you have a good plan for socializing him then. And remember, good dog-dog social skills are the result of a lifetime of reinforcement with positive experiences!

#11 ·
Another way to socialize, if you have friends with dogs, is to create puppy parties (so to speak) where maybe the people do a potluck lunch, and the dogs all get to play together. If you vary where (or at different homes) you have these, you can teach your puppy how to play with other dogs, but in a controlled environment, and in different scenarios. Halle has not only havanese friends, but also corgi, great dane, rottweiler, doberman, golden retriever, poodle, aussie, pointer, boxer (and so on) friends. The worst that's happened to her so far was actually last night at class, when a (people) child came running around a corner and crashed into her.

#12 ·
"Off" is a good command to teach. We started from a sit, and offered treats....saying 'take it' for a few times, and then after awhile said 'off' instead, in a very firm way...made her wait, then 'take it' so she could have the treat. Now that she knows it, we can use it in other situations---trying to eat pizza in front of her, wanting her not on our lap...stuff like that.

Even though your girlfriend is consistent with the same no bite techniques as you are, if there was a time very early on that she let him play bite her feet, then he might have decided it was fun to play with her that way, even though she tells him not to now. I ran into this with my husband...he would do the 'ow' or 'off', etc., but he thought the playing with hands and feet were cute the first week, so she decided that this was the way she should play with him.

It's great that you are finding free socializing opportunities. We didn't get to start classes until four months...the vet was concerned about her being around dogs we didnt know before she got all her shots (she had some health problems early on).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.