Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Puppy Area

Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 03:02 AM   #21
clare
Gigi

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 19 Times in 17 Posts
Our dear Dizzie absolutely hates being groomed,he was not too bad as a puppy,but has become gradually worse and worse,he has a real fear of it,I think he genuinely has a low pain thresh hold when it comes to any thing fur or skin related.His breeder said that the whole litter made a terrible fuss when they had their first shots,and that normally her pups don't really even notice having it done.For the last 3 years or so he has been going to the groomers once every 2 months for a wash and trim, so I hardly have to comb him myself,that way I am not the baddy!His half sister Nellie is fine with grooming and just sits on my lap and lets me get on with it,she also goes with Dizzie to the groomers,where strangely,Dizzie behaves well though is very scared[our groomer is great she totally loves all dogs and cats,and is happy for you to stay if you want,even help!]and Nellie sometimes wriggles about,though she does get tired and has to have a break during the proses.Dear Dizzie slinks away as soon as I start grooming the cats or Nellie,even when I open the door to where the brushes etc are kept,he is off under the bed and he won't come out until he is quite sure all grooming products are safely tucked away! He instinctively knows when I am thinking of brushing him,even before I do!!
Old 04-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #22
swaye

Submit Photo: 12
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
I enjoy grooming (what little I get done in a session). She gets very annoyed most times (as in growls annoyed). I am trying to find a spot we both will be comfortable with. I am not going to be doing any hair cutting/trimming. I just want to be able to bathe her, brush her out, clean her eye gunk, and ears. I started on the floor and she would eventually let me brush her some. That proved to be inadequate. Next I moved to kitchen table, and that was even worse, because I couldn't keep her in one place and worried she would fall. Now I am trying the dryer and will have restraint attached to her collar and the other end of the restraint attached to the underside of the cabinet. At least I can get her mostly still to do her eye gunk and maybe groom some of her feet. My last option is a grooming arm, but the noose scares ME a bit. I am worried I will choke her and since I will not be doing any cutting of hair, I think it is less important for me to have that piece of equipment. Thoughts anyone?
swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #23
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaye View Post
I enjoy grooming (what little I get done in a session). She gets very annoyed most times (as in growls annoyed). I am trying to find a spot we both will be comfortable with. I am not going to be doing any hair cutting/trimming. I just want to be able to bathe her, brush her out, clean her eye gunk, and ears. I started on the floor and she would eventually let me brush her some. That proved to be inadequate. Next I moved to kitchen table, and that was even worse, because I couldn't keep her in one place and worried she would fall. Now I am trying the dryer and will have restraint attached to her collar and the other end of the restraint attached to the underside of the cabinet. At least I can get her mostly still to do her eye gunk and maybe groom some of her feet. My last option is a grooming arm, but the noose scares ME a bit. I am worried I will choke her and since I will not be doing any cutting of hair, I think it is less important for me to have that piece of equipment. Thoughts anyone?

I have always liked having the "third hand" that a grooming slip affords me. Below are a couple of photos of our every-day grooming station on top of the washing machine (with the grooming slip held by an eye hook under the cabinet) and the portable grooming table and arm that I use in our travel trailer. The portable one could, of course, work at home, but I don't really have anyplace I could keep it set up that wouldn't be an eye sore. It's much easier on the washing machine and dryer, which are in our first floor half bath.

I have a nicer mat now... I found a really nice one at BB&B with memory foam inside and a microfiber top. It is much easier to brush off, and machine washes beautifully .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kodi 4th Birthday-1-8.jpg (795.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Kodi 4th Birthday-1.jpg (904.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Kodi 4th Birthday-2.jpg (949.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Kodi 4th Birthday-1-9.jpg (480.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Kodi 4th Birthday-2-4.jpg (450.5 KB, 2 views)

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #24
HavaneseSoon
Linda

Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
You must do the grooming in second groomings and quit, praise. I used a very soft brush to begin with.....barely touching. Working grooming up in the minutes, praise....praise....praise.....

Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"
HavaneseSoon is offline   Reply With Quote