Flea control - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #21
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
Ah gee I did everything wrong. My friends call me" lucy" Ive been washing all day and finally done with cold water And I used 4 lbs of borex for only two rooms. And to top it off my vacuum isn't picking it up very well. I did however read someone actually put it on their dog so I'm assuming it wont hurt us to be living in borex. My living room couch worked good because it just fell into the fibers. I have an old filter queen that needs a new cord and some other work done I think its time to take it in and get it fixed. I love that old vacuum.Right now I borrowed Bobs and I think I have plugged up the filter with borex And to top it off the sisters and myself are still itching.I think I'm having sympathy itches.
Okay my new question is I have saved the hard surfaces for last do you think I can just clean with vinager and water? I'm tired of borex. I also tried to find the cedar spray I like that idea. But I couldn't find it. I figure i have a few weeks to kill the nasties while the sisters have frontline on them. I just want to be sure I get all the eggs before I stop using the chemical.
Also did I read that vinegar just prevents fleas but doesn't kill them?
I'd be careful of cedar spray, even if you find it. Cedar is a very strong oil, and they've sopped using it in pet bedding because it has been known to cause respiratory problems.

I think all the hard surfaces will be fine if you just wet mop them regularly, no matter what you use to do it. The problem is that the eggs get caught in the fibers of bedding and rugs, and are much harder to get rid of than on a hard wood floor. (or other hard surface)

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #22
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 34 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
I'd be careful of cedar spray, even if you find it. Cedar is a very strong oil, and they've sopped using it in pet bedding because it has been known to cause respiratory problems.

I think all the hard surfaces will be fine if you just wet mop them regularly, no matter what you use to do it. The problem is that the eggs get caught in the fibers of bedding and rugs, and are much harder to get rid of than on a hard wood floor. (or other hard surface)
Okay thank you I'm glad didn't find it today. I did buy ACV so I'll clean my hard wood floor with that.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #23
HavaneseSoon
Linda

Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
Oh Lord! One box of Borax soap should last you a few years! You are using way too much in the carpet. Let it sit there for at least a week. Do not use Borax on your Hav.

Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"
HavaneseSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #24
Moca

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use advantix every month along with sentinel. The advantix is toxic to cats, so I keep my cat and Moca separated for 24 hours (vet recommended) after it's applied. My cat likes to give Moca lots of kisses . The sentinel is used to prevent heartworm, but also breaks the flea life cycle. Sentinel isn't currently available, but my vet says it will be back on the market soon. Apparently, the plant where sentinel is manufactured also manufactures human medications. Because of the potential for stray human meds to be in with the sentinel, the plant is currently closed for inspection. Right now, I'm substituting sentinel with heartguard for heartworm prevention, but unfortunately, heartguard doesn't provide any protection against fleas. Anyways, this combo has worked for me... I haven't had any flea problems (knock on wood).
Old 01-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #25
Caroline

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Does your place share a hallway with other apartments? The reason I ask is that when my son lived in an apartment complex, they had a terrible time with fleas. But it turned out they had neighbors in the same building who weren't treating their animals and they shared a carpeted hallway. So no matter what they did, the problem kept coming back. They could pretty much keep the fleas off their animals with preventative, but the humans were even getting bitten!

Fortunately, they moved and that took care of it. Just a thought, don't know your situation.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote