Havanese Forum banner

begging for food all the time

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Missy 
#1 ·
Cora is not a picky eater. He even tries to eat his own hair while I groom him. Our dog trainer advised us to give him clean (no onions, no garlic etc) human food as there has been many recalls on dog food and many are not as nutritious as they claim. I know there are excellent brands out there but cooking for him appealed to me. For example today I cooked 1/3 rice, 1/3 chicken, 1/3 steamed veggies. He got 1.5 cups in the morning and at night. He also gets yogurt, kidney treats, carrot and cheese during the day. He is always begging for more. He is 8 months old. He doesn't look overweight to me but the always sparkling clean dishes concern me. Are we feeding him too much or too little?

#2 ·
the thing that REALLY jumped out at me is the quanity you are feeding him!!! 1.5 CUPS twice a day!!? that's 3 cups of food!!!! hat seems like a LOT to me. How much does he weigh?

I go through a dog nutritionist and Tillie has a balanced home cooked diet, she eats maybe 1/4-1/3 cup twice a day at the MOST and only gets a few treats (cheese, liver, etc) she weighs about 10 lbs.
Dogs will always EAT given a chance.. :)

#3 ·
Yea, I was wondering the same thing, about the weight. If you are going to cook, please check with a nutritionist to make sure you get in all the requirements for food. It is a lot of work to cook up those meals. I have a 3 and 4 year old and they are only getting 1/4 cup heaping twice a day, sometimes a treat a day and they are probably 13 and 16 pounds. I am feeding dry kibble. And, both of my boys are solid!

#4 ·
He is still a puppy so that much food may be ok for a growing boy. It also has to do with the size of veggies/meat you cook. I know when I cooked for the boys we were told to purree everything so that makes a much denser food like canned so you feed less.

But you should consult a nutritionist. Especially for a puppy. He needs specific nutrients.
We also found that too many veggies made our little chow hound ravenous. You may want to try for the time being adapting your recipe to be 1/2 protein, 1/4 rice, 1/4 veggies.

#5 · (Edited)
definitely consult a doggie nutritionist or follow a recipe approved by a doggie nutritionist or nutrition aware vet to make sure you are not over feeding and are getting him all the nutrients. I wish i could do home cooked for my girls but with my lifestyle it just isn't practical (i travel a lot and can't expect kennels and friends that dog sit to feed my home cooked food, and it isn't good for them to switch back and forth). I know a lot of people that do home cooked cook up big batches of food according to specific recipes and freeze is it measured portions to make it easier. I think a few people on the forum do it.

Oh, and dogs will always beg for more, no matter how much you give them.

#7 ·
Thank you so much for all your answers. He is 15.2 pounds. I mash the veggies so his food is also dense.
We might be showing affection with food but it is hard to say no when he appears out of nowhere each time fridge door is open. :hungry:

#8 ·
yeah Jeri, I would definitely, use a nutritionist like Sabine,.

#9 ·
Jeri, part of his apparent hunger is just being a dog. Dogs like good things. And learn very quickly if they beg or even look up at you with big eyes something good comes their way. We knew Cash was ravenous when he was trolling and licking the kitchen floor when no one was in the kitchen. And he couldn't be distracted. It took changing his protein to stop this behavior. But we also had to learn not to give in to every plea. It was very hard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.