Is this a good breeder? - Page 4 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > BREEDER INFORMATION > BREEDERS

BREEDERS Breeders can show the health testing they do, the set up their dogs live in and all important information relating to being a breeder. DO NOT ADVERTISE PUPPIES HERE!

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 01:50 AM   #31
azcolaw

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi, I recently joined the forum. I have two Havanese (1 year female and 4 month old male) and my older Hav is from Nevena. She is a beautiful healthy dog. She is a larger Havanese at 18 pounds and is very tall. (Not that all of hers are large; I may have had the biggest of the litter ) She had beautiful chocolate sable markings as a puppy but is totally white now. She is really a gorgeous, sweet girl, though.
Just wanted to add my two cents since I, like Carol, actually got a dog from Nevena.
azcolaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #32
mcreader

Well I did get a puppy from her, based on the comments here. Worst mistake of my life. I should have waited,and found a local breeder. My dog from day one has been extremely shy, fearful and also has fear aggression. I have found other people on the HF Facebook site that have dogs from her with the same issues, and they know of others as well. Nevena is extremely defensive, takes no responsibility and has blamed me for the temperament of my dog. I have taken her to classes, socialized her, always use positive training methods, and she doesn't get any better. She is now 2 1/2. I can only walk her late at night or early morning when no one else is out, and no longer take her out in public at all. She has lunged at and actually nipped people. She is reactive on and off leash. I had resigned mysel to living this way, though so disappointed that I didn't get a happy friendly little Havanese , but after finding out that others have puppies from Nevena with the same temperaments, I feeI have to post about her. I was naive and gullible and trusted her. If you check her website, she ALWAYs has puppies, usually 12-20 at a time. I think she is breeds for profit only. She charges premium prices too. I have asked her to take my dog back and she refused, saying she would find a home for her with people in my state. I don't trust her to not misrepresent my dog to another unsuspecting person, so I stopped even trying to communicate with her. Her position is that she sent me a happy friendly puppy and that what she turned into is my fault. My puppy was, as I said, extremely shy and fearful from day one. Having now talked to others on the FB forum with puppies from Nevena with the same temperament, I want to warn others to NOT buy puppies from her.
mcreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:59 AM   #33
azcolaw

I am so sorry about the issues with your dog. That is heartbreaking for you to expect one thing and end up with something totally different, especially aggression and fear issues. A dog should bring joy, not heartache.
And, of course, I feel awful for the dog, too, that she is experiencing so much fear and anxiety.
Those are not the issues I have at all with my dog from Nevena.
My dog is extremely friendly, outgoing and sweet and loves other people and dogs.
I guess I got really lucky, considering others I have heard from and about.
I do have other issues. I was not told my red chocolate sable dog would turn completely white. (I know we are not supposed to pick for color, especially after reading the forum, but I paid top dollar for a chocolate dog). My dog is now 20 pounds. Not the biggest on the forum, but I've heard from other owners that Nevena breeds a lot of big dogs.
My dog was next to impossible to housebreak. I got a different Hav from a local breeder here in Colorado and he was super easy to housetrain.
I know my issues are very minor compared to yours.
I am so sorry again for what you've gone through.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #34
mcreader

Mine was a nightmare to house train also. She weighs 21.7 lbs.
mcreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #35
MarinaGirl

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about the problems y'all have had with Nevena-bred Havanese.

I re-read this thread and there were positive posts from 3-4 different people who have only posted ONCE on Havanese Forum. I find that suspect; makes me wonder if the breeder submitted those posts.

Reminder: When looking for a puppy, read the Sticky: Things to Look for in a Reputable Breeder before contacting any breeders and walk away if there are red flags. Be especially wary of breeders that have a lot of puppies available for sale, all the time, and make sure you visit in person before you pay any money or fall in love with a cute picture on the Internet.

MarinaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #36
azcolaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaGirl View Post
I'm so sorry to hear about the problems y'all have had with Nevena-bred Havanese.

I re-read this thread and there were positive posts from 3-4 different people who have only posted ONCE on Havanese Forum. I find that suspect; makes me wonder if the breeder submitted those posts.

Reminder: When looking for a puppy, read the Sticky: Things to Look for in a Reputable Breeder before contacting any breeders and walk away if there are red flags. Be especially wary of breeders that have a lot of puppies available for sale, all the time, and make sure you visit in person before you pay any money or fall in love with a cute picture on the Internet.
Good advice. I sure wish I'd found the Forum before I ever started dog-shopping.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #37
SJ1998

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreader View Post
Well I did get a puppy from her, based on the comments here. Worst mistake of my life. I should have waited,and found a local breeder. My dog from day one has been extremely shy, fearful and also has fear aggression. I have found other people on the HF Facebook site that have dogs from her with the same issues, and they know of others as well. Nevena is extremely defensive, takes no responsibility and has blamed me for the temperament of my dog. I have taken her to classes, socialized her, always use positive training methods, and she doesn't get any better. She is now 2 1/2. I can only walk her late at night or early morning when no one else is out, and no longer take her out in public at all. She has lunged at and actually nipped people. She is reactive on and off leash. I had resigned mysel to living this way, though so disappointed that I didn't get a happy friendly little Havanese , but after finding out that others have puppies from Nevena with the same temperaments, I feeI have to post about her. I was naive and gullible and trusted her. If you check her website, she ALWAYs has puppies, usually 12-20 at a time. I think she is breeds for profit only. She charges premium prices too. I have asked her to take my dog back and she refused, saying she would find a home for her with people in my state. I don't trust her to not misrepresent my dog to another unsuspecting person, so I stopped even trying to communicate with her. Her position is that she sent me a happy friendly puppy and that what she turned into is my fault. My puppy was, as I said, extremely shy and fearful from day one. Having now talked to others on the FB forum with puppies from Nevena with the same temperament, I want to warn others to NOT buy puppies from her.
It sounds like you have tried everything but just want to ask - what kind of treats do you use when she is out in public? Does your dog have a treat that she really loves, like cooked fresh chicken breast? A lot of dogs have something that they love so much they will stop what they are doing to get it. Maybe you could find out what that is, and when you are outside with the dog, have a supply of treats and just give them to her over and over again, as much as she wants to see if that will stop the behavior.
SJ1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #38
Ollie"s Mom

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to the site and I am confused. She is supposed to be in Vegas, but when you scroll down she says she is around the San Diego area. Are there 2 Nevena Havanese?
Old 12-02-2014, 08:32 PM   #39
StarrLhasa
Starr

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
She moved from Las Vegas to Southern California. Apparently, she still has some website updating to do.

Starr in NorCal
Mom to Buffy & Buster
Havanese Rescue - won't you join us?

StarrLhasa is offline   Reply With Quote