From puppy food to adult food - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
From puppy food to adult food
Old 12-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Sparkle

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
From puppy food to adult food

When did you switch from the puppy formula food to adult formula? Kallie's been on Wellness Super 5 puppy formula (dry) from the breeder til now. We did try the puppy small breed, but for some reason that gave her very soft stools. So anyhoo, she will be 8 months next weekend. Is it time to start switching her to the adult formula now. I bought some & have mixed it (2/3 puppy, 1/3 adult). The kibble of the adult looks completely different, and she gobbles it down. Before, I had to coax her to eat the puppy food. I've cut her from 3 X per day to 2 X per day. Total of about 3/4 cup per day. I was planning to gradually increase the amount of adult food ratio. What do you think? Am I switching her too soon?
Old 12-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
davetgabby
Dave T

Photo Submissions 33 Times in 33 Posts
hi Pat, this may help http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index....eeding_puppies
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Anna6

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I just switched Nina to adult food. She is about 7 1/2 months old. The pet store told me there was not much difference between regular dog kibbles and puppy kibbles. The kibbles she has now are a small size. The store pretty much sold me on the dog food and I like how Nina's stools are. She also seems to enjoy her food. I know, not very scientific. Maybe it was the different puppy foods I tried. Her tummy seemed upset and her stools runny and stinky or bulky.
Anna6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Dory
Mom to Quincy and Myka

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think I've been feeding Quincy puppy food the whole time. He started eating the Acana Ranchlands at the breeder's and we kept him on it. I still do mix in some Puppy Wellness canned (1/2 TBS) for two of his feedings, but he's quite happy with what he eats. He eats like I starve him all day LOL
It makes me wonder if I should be upping his food amount. He does get 1/4 c, three times a day though. Plus a Kong with some apple for times when I leave the house (preventing separation anxiety here-he's really attached to me), but loves his Kong more, I think LOL
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
Sparkle

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sometimes I think all of the varieties the industry makes are just marketing ploys! It's all so confusing. Kallie is happy, is full of energy & is perfect weight for her size, so I guess what I'm feeding her must agree with her. I was just wondering when others on the forum switched from puppy to adult formula. But it seems like a lot cook their own food for their babies, so there wouldn't be a change.