Tipping? - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
Anna6

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would check if there is a general tip jar if not maybe do the cookies but put them in individual cookie bags or a couple to a bag. This way they can eat it there or take it home.
Anna6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
I don't like general tip jars. I want the tip to go to the person I think deserves it. I tip my groomer 20%, and since Kodi gets trimmed up every 3 weeks, she gets her share from me.

For Christmas, I make sets of photo note cards, a new set every year. I have a set of dog photos from the year for the dog folks in my life, and a set of general photos for everyone else. All my service people get the appropriate set of cards for Christmas. The only exception is my cleaning man. With my RA, I couldn't do without him, and I know he doesn't make a lot of money. So his Christmas tip is always an extra "cleaning bill", plus a small gift of some sort. He deserves every penny!

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Some professions, like waiters and bartenders automatically get 15% included on their taxes for tips. Cash is considered a courtesy and credit card tips are automatically reported to the IRS.

my groomer has individual tip jars for each groomer. has their picture on it as well.

Mmmmm, See's candies.

also cash is king. like a wedding gift, cash never goes out of style.
sprorchid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #14
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Submit Photo: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprorchid View Post
Cash is considered a courtesy and credit card tips are automatically reported to the IRS.
The law requires cash tips be reported. New tax law (whatEVER it ends up being) wont likely be retroactive and unless the one being tipped is really doing well, will get income taxes returned, I'm good with keeping tips on my credit card for easy tracking.

Something worth considering . . .when a worker in the service industry becomes disabled, their disability payments are based on their REPORTED income. If they only report credit card tips and secretly pocket the cash tips without reporting it, they could find themselves hurting financially as well as physically if they can't work following an injury. Tipping with a credit card, in the long run . . .actually does them a favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

ClaireVoyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #15
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
I understand the tax law. my point was that they may not make 15% in tips but taxed on it anyway.

to me, cash is always considered a professional courtesy, whether I pay my mechanic, or any mom and pop shop. so it makes sense to me that I would tip in cash as well.

Let me clarify, I am not saying to tip cash so they can pocket it and not report it as income. and I'm not telling you how to tip. I am only posting what I do.
sprorchid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Submit Photo: 16
So my youngest daughter is a student who works part time waiting tables . . .being curious, I just called and she said:

"I appreciate anything left, either cash or credit card. But if cash is left, be sure to write that on the receipt and no matter what, do not leave the tip lime blank"

It had never entered my mind before . . .but apparently, there are some dishonest people out there who fill in those blanks with large tip amounts. So . . .i learned something. But as for me . . .cash for tipping is a hassle. Small bills aren't dispensed from ATMs and I'd prefer to put the tip on my CC over asking my server for change on the tip

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

ClaireVoyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #17
Beau's mom
Beau's Mom

Submit Photo: 5
We have See's Candies at the King of Prussia Mall in suburban Philadelphia.

They're not my dogs -- I'm their person
Lorraine
Beau's mom is offline   Reply With Quote