Havanese Forum banner

Introduce yourself part 3!

118K views 668 replies 166 participants last post by  Lalla 
#1 ·
Seems there are so many new members! Decided to start a new introduce yourself thread. Please post pictures!

Hi,
I am Linda. I live outside of Philadelphia. I have 3 wonderful havanese.

Bella almost 8 years old. The smallest full grown Hav I have ever met. She thinks she's a cat.

Fred almost 7 yrs old. I should have named him trouble or grump. He is the grumpiest havanese I have ever met. He is like the canine version of Archie Bunker. Just look how mean he looks:). He wouldn't hurt a fly though.

Scudder almost 6 years old. He is the most easy going, mild manner dog. I call him the mayor!

Attachments

See less See more
#316 ·
welcome, jolly good to meet you. He's a doll for sure.

#319 ·
Hi everyone! I'm a longtime lurker here and don't have my pup yet, but figured I should finally introduce myself.

After months of breed and breeder research, my husband and I are hoping to adopt our first Hav this summer. This forum has been great for helping us with the research phase and I can't wait to start preparing in earnest. We've already read a few books, but I won't let myself buy anything else until the puppy is born and we have adoption confirmation. :) But that hasn't stopped me from loading up my amazon shopping list with puppy supplies!

~Katherine

#322 ·
New to forum

Hi, my name is Kathy. I have a 3 year old Havanese princess, I recently purchased an eight month old frisky Havanese male. Initially, the two got along great, playing, etc. My three year old who is the Alpha female is now attacking the puppy unprovoked. Had her checked by the vet today, no physical problems. This dog has always been socially backward even though her breeder claimed to have well mannered dogs. I tried contacting the breeder about her recent behavior but he has ignored my e-mails even though he states the dogs have a life time guarantee. Just looking for any suggestions, I will be taking her for an evaluation with a trainer.

#327 ·
I trod ice yourself part 3

Hi, my name is Kathy. I have a 3 year old Havanese princess, I recently purchased an eight month old frisky Havanese male. Initially, the two got along great, playing, etc. My three year old who is the Alpha female is now attacking the puppy unprovoked. Had her checked by the vet today, no physical problems. This dog has always been socially backward even though her breeder claimed to have well mannered dogs. I tried contacting the breeder about her recent behavior but he has ignored my e-mails even though he states the dogs have a life time guarantee. Just looking for any suggestions, I will be taking her for an evaluation with a trainer.
Welcome Kathy. I don't have any advice for you but wanted to welcome you to the forum. I hope you get the help you need.

#328 ·
Hi all, new to forums and allllmosssstttttt a Havanese pack leader..

First, thanks to all of you for building this awesome resource! I saw a Havanese for the first time last spring. Not quite ready to commit, having lost our 15 yr old Springer the year before. I did start learning a little about the breed. Time marched on, now it's spring again and I'm in full research mode, anxious to be as well prepped as I can be to welcome a new family member.

I ordered From Nose to Tail and Millan's How to Raise the Perfect Dog (been a while since I had a pup), a clicker training set and I'm making a bed and rest/play mat. Almost ready.

The health information shared in the forums is priceless. I'm almost ready to interview breeders, but have a concern regarding Vets. The only Vet near me is not familiar with Havanese, but doesn't feel that that should be a deterrent as a dog is a dog. Otherwise, I like her - and a vet 2 hrs away isn't really convenient especially if we have a time urgent emergency. Thoughts?

Thanks again.. and glad to meet all of you!

Nina

#331 ·
Introduce yourself, part 3

First, thanks to all of you for building this awesome resource! I saw a Havanese for the first time last spring. Not quite ready to commit, having lost our 15 yr old Springer the year before. I did start learning a little about the breed. Time marched on, now it's spring again and I'm in full research mode, anxious to be as well prepped as I can be to welcome a new family member.

I ordered From Nose to Tail and Millan's How to Raise the Perfect Dog (been a while since I had a pup), a clicker training set and I'm making a bed and rest/play mat. Almost ready.

The health information shared in the forums is priceless. I'm almost ready to interview breeders, but have a concern regarding Vets. The only Vet near me is not familiar with Havanese, but doesn't feel that that should be a deterrent as a dog is a dog. Otherwise, I like her - and a vet 2 hrs away isn't really convenient especially if we have a time urgent emergency. Thoughts?

Thanks again.. and glad to meet all of you!

Nina
Welcome, Nina, and good luck in your search for a breeder. My thought about the vet situation is to go with the one you like who is close by, even though she is not familiar with the breed. When I got my first Hav in 1996, the vet I chose had never seen a Havanese before meeting mine and it was never a problem. He did a great job with my two boys and I hated to leave him 7 1/2 years ago when we moved. As you mentioned, a dog is a dog, and even though each breed has it's own health issues, I feel that a good vet will be able to handle anything. Also, it is best to have someone you know close by if there is an emergency that comes up. Best of luck to you.

#330 ·
welcome Nina and Sandra.

#333 ·
come on newbies we know you're out there. Don't be shy.

#335 ·
Hi all :) My name is Julia and my girlfriend and I recently took home Diva from the lovely Lisa at Esplendor Havanese in WA (we live in Seattle). I've been lurking around the forum for a while reading up during the process of finding our puppy so I thought it was time to stop in and introduce myself and Diva!

She was born Dec. 17th so she is 3.5 months. She's been with us for two weeks now and we are having a great time! She is very sprited and can be a little bossy but is a well-behaved girl overall and very sweet. After getting over an initial fear of strangers she LOVES meeting new people and running around outside. We are still working on potty training but she is doing a pretty good job. We are so happy and excited!!

Attachments

#338 ·
Hello from Indiana! As one who has dogs most of my life, a small dog is new to me. We had to have our retired rescued greyhound put down last August, we decided no more dogs. It was just too hard saying goodbye. But alas, it seems the canine addiction is in our blood and our house did not seem complete without sharing it with a fur friend. We decided maybe we should downsize. My cousin introduced me to the Havanese breed and after doing some reading, we decided to rescue one. I wanted an older dog, my DH wanted a pup (for me to train hahah). So rescue one we did. I had read they were of average activity level and after raising a GSD pup to adulthood, I thought this little pup would be a breeze! Ha, was I fooled. This little girl re-wrote the book!! The amount of nipping surprised me a bit and we have discovered she really is bad about it when she is overexcited or overtired. We have had some very good days and some "I must have been insane" days. She is 3 months old and I would like to think she is making slow but steady progress. The not so good days have been mostly in the early days and the last few when the grandsons were here and we were off our schedule a bit. Not her fault, but mine. Anyway, being retired, I felt I had the time to give to training, with a much bigger payoff then the time I have invested.

#339 ·
Good for you, and I'm sure, in the long run, your patience will pay off. But remember that almost all Havanese in rescue/shelters are puppy mill dogs. So they have had the very worst start possible in life. It's not surprising that she is more of a challenge than a puppy purchased from a good breeder. That said, there are LOTS of rescue Havanese that are AWESOME pets in the long run!!!

#340 · (Edited)
Hi From Oz

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to say hi and introduce ourselves. We are Mark and Linda and Barney and we live in Brisbane, Australia.:)

Our little boy is only 4 months old, but has plenty of attitude! He is a bundle of joy and we love him heaps.

We look forward to joining your Havanese community.

Cheers

:)

#341 ·
Introduce yourself part 3

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to say hi and introduce ourselves. We are Mark and Linda and Barney and we live in Brisbane, Australia.:)

Our little boy is only 4 months old, but has plenty of attitude! He is a bundle of joy and we love him heaps.

We look forward to joining your Havanese community.

Cheers

:)
Welcome to the forum Mark, Linda and Barney. Glad you are joining us. One of the requirements, though, is pictures of your Barney. Can't wait to see him.

#342 ·
welcome to all three of you. Keep the pictures coming.

#344 ·
Welcome to all the newbies! This breed is the greatest! Swaye, I know where you're coming from! When we got our last (McGee) we were totally exhausted the first few months. I might not have said it at the time but looking back it has all been worth it.......haha

#346 ·
welcome and happy birthday Gizmo.

#347 ·
Hi everyone. I'm Selene. I'm an exhibitor/breeder of Samoyeds and I live in Australia.
I've recently brought home a beautiful little Havanese puppy named Tyrion. I've been waiting four years for this little guy so I'm a little excited to finally have him home.

Tyrion is joining my three beautiful Samoyeds Dante, Daenerys and Beowulf and my lovely old Lab Lestat.

Look forward to getting to know you all :)

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

#348 ·
welcome, he's adorable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.