Help..need some tips soon - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Training Tips and Advice

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 38 Times in 38 Posts
I don't understand why having him in a crate is the only answer? everyone has a kitchen or a bathroom. I wouldn't even allow him to be in your rug area . I had a small apartment while mine were younger. The dinning room was tile as was the kitchen. I limited them to mostly the dinning area. I used my x pin as dividers and gate. I had my computer and a chair in the same area. (I took the dinning room table out and basically turned it into a small family room. If you don't have a area that has a hard surface floor you can buy vinyl and put it on the rug. I also like to buy large door mat rugs and I turn then upside down the backing is somewhat washable I put the potty pads on that in case they miss. The vinyl is sort of a pain because it slides around. It doesn't look pretty but I'm happy they have a nice hang out for while I'm gone. I have that set up now at my sisters house I'll try to find some pictures.
I guess I sleep in the dog pin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the sisters room 2012-02-18 001.jpg (588.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg the sisters room 2012-02-18 003.jpg (679.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
skkydreemer

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Suzi,

I really like the way you have the area set up. We have an open floor plan and there is really no way to divide our house up. Our bathroom is too close to our bedroom and he barks if he is in there, which wakes my husband. He is not in there for more than 4 hours while my husband is sleeping. This actually seems to be working very well for him. The last couple of days we have had NO accidents! He sleeps with me and then when my husband gets home late at night he lets him out. Then I let him out when I get up early in the morning. He goes in his crate when I leave for work and then as soon as my husband gets up he lets him out. One thing that I wonder about is if the rug was the trigger. I took the rug out of the front room. I am not some evil person because he is in a crate for a couple of hours a day. We make it his safe place for comfort. He has a bed in there, toys, and he loves it when I put a blanket over it. He is doing much better, I just hope it lasts. One thing I have picked up on from this forum and site, is that he isn't a good communicator. I am picking up on his subtle way of looking at me that he needs to go out. As soon as I walk toward the door he is following me and goes right out. Once he is completely house broken I see no reason to have him in the crate.
skkydreemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #13
Kathie

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like things are going a lot better now. So, your husband isn't sleeping all day? It seems that he isn't in the crate too long then.

One method we use is hanging bells on the door handle. If you take their paw and ring the bell and then take him out to potty he will get the idea really quickly. That works well for us and you can't really miss hearing those bells ring!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #14
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Nobody thought you were an evil person!!! You rescued this little guy!

And if he's only in the crate for 4 hours at a time, there should be no problem with that at all. It does kind of sound like he was confused about the rug. I'm so glad to hear that things are going better!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skkydreemer View Post
Suzi,

I really like the way you have the area set up. We have an open floor plan and there is really no way to divide our house up. Our bathroom is too close to our bedroom and he barks if he is in there, which wakes my husband. He is not in there for more than 4 hours while my husband is sleeping. This actually seems to be working very well for him. The last couple of days we have had NO accidents! He sleeps with me and then when my husband gets home late at night he lets him out. Then I let him out when I get up early in the morning. He goes in his crate when I leave for work and then as soon as my husband gets up he lets him out. One thing that I wonder about is if the rug was the trigger. I took the rug out of the front room. I am not some evil person because he is in a crate for a couple of hours a day. We make it his safe place for comfort. He has a bed in there, toys, and he loves it when I put a blanket over it. He is doing much better, I just hope it lasts. One thing I have picked up on from this forum and site, is that he isn't a good communicator. I am picking up on his subtle way of looking at me that he needs to go out. As soon as I walk toward the door he is following me and goes right out. Once he is completely house broken I see no reason to have him in the crate.

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
curly_DC
Michele and Sergio

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
The one thing that I read on this thread that confused me is the size of the xpen area or the dog having free run of the entire living area when he's alone and feeling less stress b/c of it.

When I leave Sergio for up to 8 hours while I'm at work, he is much less stressed when I leave his crate (door open) in a smaller x-pen area, with food, water, blanket, toys, and potty pads. He also likes to play with a fuzzy pair of my socks, and I'll leave one of my slept in tee shirts.

When I have to run an errand and I'm just out for around an hour or less, I let him have free run of the apartment, and he doesn't have any accidents. However, I don't think he's less stressed than he is in his crate or a smaller xpen area.

He does seem less stressed though when I leave and he goes in his crate, and I exit without him actually seeing me open and close the door.

Also, I know that some Hav owners feel that Havs should only be with stay at home parents or retired people, but I don't feel guilty leaving him for the day while I go to work. He does best as the only dog in the home, and he doesn't fuss or bark in the morning. We just needed to establish a routine. Mostly, I just needed to make sure I was taking him outside to go potty and for a walk. He sleeps on my bed at night, and roams freely through the apartment while I'm there. Sometimes he has "enough" of me fussing over him, petting him, etc., and he will get up and go into his crate/cave/den. Adorable!

I have found that with Sergio at least, the more I let him start lounging on my bed, carpet, sofa, etc., the more I think he viewed those spaces as "his den" where he doesn't want to go potty.

When I take him outside, I just make sure that he goes potty and poop before we go inside. If he's sniffing and sniffing and it's taking him a long time to go, I will not move, and I will turn away from him and ignore him. He goes right away then.
curly_DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #16
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_DC View Post
When I leave Sergio for up to 8 hours while I'm at work, he is much less stressed when I leave his crate (door open) in a smaller x-pen area, with food, water, blanket, toys, and potty pads. He also likes to play with a fuzzy pair of my socks, and I'll leave one of my slept in tee shirts.
An ex-pen is much less confining than a crate, and you have given him a potty spot. I was concerned for the original poster because I thought her dog was crated for a full work day... it turns out that he's only crated for about 4 hours, so that's fine for an adult dog.

Quote:
When I have to run an errand and I'm just out for around an hour or less, I let him have free run of the apartment, and he doesn't have any accidents. However, I don't think he's less stressed than he is in his crate or a smaller xpen area.
If a dog is properly introduced to a crate and ex-pen, it SHOULDN'T cause anxiety. It should feel like his "safe place". Kodi often chooses to nap in his crate even when we are home and the door is wide open. It sounds like Sergio feels the same way. We have found that Kodi is LESS happy if he is free in the house when we are gone. He just wanders unhappily until he eventually settles into his crate on his own. I don't think he would get into any trouble loose in the house. He is well potty trained, and past the chewing stage. But you never know. When he is in his ex-pen, he feels secure, and I feel secure that he won't get hurt while we are out of the house.

Quote:
Also, I know that some Hav owners feel that Havs should only be with stay at home parents or retired people, but I don't feel guilty leaving him for the day while I go to work. He does best as the only dog in the home, and he doesn't fuss or bark in the morning. We just needed to establish a routine.
You are right. Not every Hav can adjust to being home alone all day, but some definitely can and do. You are right, that establishing a routine, and making sure you give him lots of attention when you ARE home goes a long way toward helping him adjust to being a "stay-at-home Hav" While I have the luxury of working out of my house, so that Kodi is rarely alone more than 4 hours or so at a stretch, I have to honestly say, that I think he is also the type of Hav who COULD adjust to being alone during the work day. He really spends a LOT of his day sleeping in his crate (without a door on it) in my office anyway!

Quote:
I have found that with Sergio at least, the more I let him start lounging on my bed, carpet, sofa, etc., the more I think he viewed those spaces as "his den" where he doesn't want to go potty.
I think you may be right. Kodi is trustworthy anywhere in the house now, but he was reliable in the kitchen and family room, where the family (and he) spends the majority of time, LONG before he was trustworthy elsewhere in the house. The place we had to watch for the longest was the dining room, perhaps because it is only used by any of us on an intermittent basis.

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote