Doggie CRACK. - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
ldyj

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was trying to research what type of chew 'bones" to give Jude. I have a couple of toy chews that he enjoys - and the rope with hard ball. He loves them all. But I wanted to give him something that could be considered a "treat." He's doing so well in training, that after working on "lessons" rather than start throwing the ball I'd treat him for his good learning skills!

So, if you have an opinion as to what a safe chew treat would be, without it having an overload of fat and/or calories, I'd certainly be interested in, and appreciate, your thoughts!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 34 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldyj View Post
I was trying to research what type of chew 'bones" to give Jude. I have a couple of toy chews that he enjoys - and the rope with hard ball. He loves them all. But I wanted to give him something that could be considered a "treat." He's doing so well in training, that after working on "lessons" rather than start throwing the ball I'd treat him for his good learning skills!

So, if you have an opinion as to what a safe chew treat would be, without it having an overload of fat and/or calories, I'd certainly be interested in, and appreciate, your thoughts!
I was trying to find that too because I want to leave them with something and not worrie about chocking. The Natures pet guy said the only one he would give that's safe and not bad for them is the antler's.
I went to a dog show yesterday and got our first antlers and some bullie sticks. Zoey rolled all over the bullie stick and hasn't left it alone for about an hour. Neither liked the antler. But Maddie got her favorite squeak toy and is in 7th heaven.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #13
Ewokpup

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
We've done TONS of work with Kodi on resource guarding since he was a pup, because of his "addiction" to paper. (he doesn't shred, he eats it!) We HAD to be able to get non-food items away from him, to keep him from hurting himself. For a LONG time, we would "trade" for a high value treat. And they had to be BIG treats, because if there was a way that he could snatch the treat AND keep the contraband in his mouth at the same time, he would!

Then, we would set up situations with a high value chew (like a Himalaya Chew) that he didn't want to give up. With these, we'd ask him to give it to us, saying "drop it" and putting our hand under his chin so it would drop into our hand. Then we'd give him something yummy, and hand the chew back.

Now he will hand us "contraband" without a "trade" in sight, even if you can see in his eyes that he REALLY doesn't want to. But he then RUNS to the kitchen to collect his cookie. It literally took years to get to this point though... he's only been reliably dropping "treasures" within the last year.

When he was a puppy, there were times when we had to pin him down, pry his mouth open and go on a fishing expedition to retrieve really bad things. Certainly not an"approved training strategy", but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do when they have something dangerous in their mouths.

The first time he HANDED me a kleenex when I asked, I just about fell over! For a LONG time, his default answer to that situation was "swallow fast"!
So he handed you a Kleenex...is the next step to get him to bring you one evey time you sneeze?

Bama knows 'drop it', and she will drop some things. She dropped a plastic bottle today. Not sure how consistent she is, though. It's kinda like 'stay'. When I open the door to get the mail she will obey, but if I want her to stay so I can pick her up and she wants to keep playing, forget it.
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote