Havanese Forum banner

Progress is being made...yay!

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  yabooklady 
#1 ·
Hello! I went to announce this to all of my Facebook friends, but realized it was probably not the right place ;-)

Anyway, Molly is now between week 18 and 19 and house training has really improved in the last 10 days! I take her out regularly, but she is now notifying me of her need to go poop by coming over to me, perching her feet up on my knee and giving me a gentle bark...yay! We are still having 1-2 potty accidents a day (I let her roam the house, so I could probably have already solved this) but from where we were a month ago, whew! Also, tonight Molly was left with my teenage son for about two hours while I ran an errand...needless to say the xbox got more attention than my dog, but she was resting peacefully in on my bathroom rug AND no accidents - anywhere!

Of course, tomorrow she will probably make a huge liar out of me, but tonight I am celebrating!:peace::peace:

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
What To Do With Oliver

I'm sorry to highjack your post but I need advice badly and I haven't been able to figure out how to start a new thread. Can someone help me?
Oliver is 2 years old this month. He still isn't house trained. There were periods of time where he would be good for almost a month and then I would find a dried up potty. He knows as soon as I look at it that he is responsible as he runs out the doggie door an hides. I have always been fairly gentle with him about this, but after 2 years I will have to admit to raising my voice. He is such a delicate and sensitive dog. As a puppy he was friendly and outgoing with people and dogs. That changed at about 1 year when he became very shy around anyone but me and very aggressive with other dogs. I have a 9 month old cocker spaniel and they are the best of buddies...playing and rough housing all day. I walk them 2 to 4 miles daily, and as mentioned he has a doggie door that is accessible at all times. I've tried everything I can think of....tying his leash to me for about a month, enclosing him in a doggie playpen, putting a gate up in the kitchen so he can't access the rest of the house. Nothing has worked, and he is peeing more often...several times a day. He's great at picking spots where I can't see it on the wood floors. Most of the time I don't find it until it's dried up. I never catch him in the act. He never poops, but I can't stand this much longer. He won't come near me unless I'm in bed because I have groomed him while on the couch, and I NEVER hurt him, but he won't be a lap dog for anything. I need to say I have had 12 dogs in my life....all housebroken within 2 weeks. But I never have had a Havenese, and wouldn't do this again for anything. I love him dearly and I'm afraid to find him another home because he may get abused. Can anyone help me? I really am desperate! Oh, he eats Science Diet small bites but also gets some of his brothers puppy food every day. I also add a little canned meat to his dry food. My back yard is getting badly burned and I can't figure out what to do as I thought only female dogs did that. So, Please help me figure out how to post, how to fix my dog, how to fix my yard and if you are really kind you can help me figure out my love life!!!

Dilly53

#6 ·
Hi,

I'm sorry you are having trouble with your dog :-( you mention that the dog is urinating more frequently than ever...have you seen a vet? There could be an underlying medical issue you are not aware of.

I'm not sure how big your yard is, but my father had the same problem with his companion dog regarding yard burning....his gardener told him that his yard needed more watering, especially with drought conditions these last few years, he told him that if he couldn't water the whole yard more than to water the area the dog pee's in right after they pee. I don't have any answers and I'm sure others who have more experience with this issue can be more helpful!

My MIL had a scottish terrier who consistently had a potty break in her house 2-3 times a week up until the dogs death ... she too has wood floors and finally learned to accept that this was just how the dog was and learned to "deal" with it because she wouldn't part with the dog. If you are considering giving up your dog and are worried about abuse, please make sure you don't take it to the pound...talk to your vet and have them help you find your dog a new home...lots of people wouldn't consider the issues your dog has as a problem and would be glad to have it.

#8 ·
Dilly53, sorry I don't know your name. Because of the increasing urinating and the bahavior that is so unlike a Havanese, have you taken him to the vet to see if there are any underlying health problems?
Not to be negative, but Science Diet isn't the best food even though they sell it in many vet offices. I am not a purist, don't feed raw or cook for my dogs, but perhaps the SD could cause a problem that is unlooked.
If you feel you must give up your dog, please contact Havanese Rescue. They will find him a good foster home and rehome him in a permanent home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.