Please Help With housebreaking - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Training Tips and Advice

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #21
swaye

Submit Photo: 12
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfung5 View Post
You got your pups young. He won't be a problem to housebreak, especially since it sounds like you know how to housebreak a dog. Puppymill and pet store pups, can be very difficult to housebreak because they are not taught to soil in a specific area. Most pee and poo in their cage and therefore never learn not to soil their bed. This can make crate training difficult. I got my Fred at 13 weeks. He came from the recommended HCA breeder referral list.
BUT the breeder did not work on housebreaking with Fred. In fact, he was kept in a cage with a pan under it to catch the pee and poo! He was very difficult to housebreak. Took me a little over a year to housebreak him. He was pretty good after a year, but would have an accident here and there for a couple more months. He is 100 percent reliable now! He will even go out in a downpour to potty. If he can do it, I think all young pups can! If you are consistent, he will be fine. Good luck!
I am so glad to hear you give this encouragement. I have read on here about being vigilant and not letting accidents happen or this will not lead to successful house training. I understand this, but there are bound to be accidents, especially as you expand their house privileges. We have had ours solely in the kitchen and laundry area for 2 months. She is very reliable for 3 hours, then after that all bets are off and she returns to the kitchen or we take her out for potty break. She is a chewer, so I have 2 concerns to watch out for. I do know she seems very bored with the kitchen area. She does not seem interested in playing with her toys, so I am slowly introducing her to our carpeted family room. Thanks...

Last edited by swaye; 05-01-2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Wrong word
swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #22
kathyc

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
We had big problems when we we got Werli. We decided to not let him pee/poo anywhere else than his houses or outside. We took him out every 30 min. sometimes sooner. We made a very big deal with praises and training treats when he went outside and now when he goes straight to his house to pee again we make a big deal when he does. He hasn`t had a mistake in about 4 weeks we think we have turned a corner. We have had many dogs in our lives and never had a problem training any of them. But our Hav Werli has been a test. Hopefully he`s learned. All I know if you have the ability to take him out as we did it may work..Kathy
kathyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #23
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 68 Times in 68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaye View Post
I am so glad to hear you give this encouragement. I have read on here about being vigilant and not letting accidents happen or this will not lead to successful house training. I understand this, but there are bound to be accidents, especially as you expand their house privileges. We have had ours solely in the kitchen and laundry area for 2 months. She is very reliable for 3 hours, then after that all bets are off and she returns to the kitchen or we take her out for potty break. She is a chewer, so I have 2 concerns to watch out for. I do know she seems very bored with the kitchen area. She does not seem interested in playing with her toys, so I am slowly introducing her to our carpeted family room. Thanks...
There will definitely be accidents... You just want to do your best to minimize them. ...and to go back to a smaller area/closer supervision if the uppy DOES have an accident.

And yes, there is a BIG difference between "potty training" and "house training". Kodi was "potty trained" LONG before I could trust him not to chew the fringe on my orientals or to de-stuff any couch cushions!!!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #24
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Yeah, it probably a little boring for her in the kitchen. Can you bring her to other areas of the house as you go from room to room. For example, when my guys were in training, I would bring them to the room I was in and close the door. If I was in the kitchen, I would baby gate it off. I Also had crates, doggy beds or an xpen in the rooms. This switched things up for them. When they were small I always kept a bell on their collars. This way if I was working in my office and they were sleeping, I would know when they started to stir.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #25
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
And trust me, my guys had tons of accidents as wee pups. They were all 100% housebroken by 1.5 years at most. You have to consider I didn't get Bella until she was 7 months old. They are all 100% reliable now. I was very diligent at taking them out every 45 min and in the middle of the night. My guy also had pee pads in their xpens and crates for emergencies. It never caused any confusion.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #26
Pucks104

Submit Photo: 28
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
While you are working on the house training, you could exercise extreme caution in the rental house. Set up an expen for your pup and only have her out of the expen on a leash tethered to you or in a small room for a few minutes when she has emptied outside. This would ensure that she didn't have an accident in the rental house.