Havanese Forum banner

Downton Abbey!

13K views 121 replies 36 participants last post by  sandypaws 
#1 ·
One more day until the new season of Downton Abbey! :peace: We rewatched some of the last episodes of last season so we are ready to go! Any other fans?

#3 ·
Did you see the show on HGTV last night on the castle they use to film the series? It was pretty cool... old photos of people who lived there in real life who are the basis of some of the characters, letter from WWI soldiers who were hospitalized there, etc.

#12 ·
I don't know as you would be totally lost, Evelyn - I am sure you would catch on to who is who quickly, but you will have missed a lot. I would record it, and get hold of the older seasons and watch from the beginning. I LOVE the women's clothes. This is one show where an episode will end, and I am so engrossed in it that I just don't want it to end; I just want it to keep going.

#16 ·
Waiting imapiently for new season here! But even more interesting is turkish TV series about sultan Suleyman the Magnificent. It comes under title "Magnificent Century" and it is sooo good that you wouldn't believe.

#21 ·
Well my husband and I watched it last night for the first time and enjoyed it!
We did catch on to things pretty quick as far as whos who. The only thing that I am trying to figure out is the guy in jail story line. I take it he was the part of the "help" before he was accused of murdering his wife. Not sure of the relationship between him and the woman that visits him...nor the other man in jail that threatened him.

#23 ·
Mary has the most wonderful clothes - and figure to pull them off. Loved her wedding dress. Wish they had shown a bit more 'wedding' though.

Looks like they are planting a bit of doubt in the viewers' minds as to whether Bates may have actually killed his wife? Daisy getting a bit of attitude.

#29 ·
Mary has the most wonderful clothes - and figure to pull them off. Loved her wedding dress. Wish they had shown a bit more 'wedding' though.

Looks like they are planting a bit of doubt in the viewers' minds as to whether Bates may have actually killed his wife? Daisy getting a bit of attitude.
I too wished they had showed more of the wedding. They had this nice build up to the big day , they reached the alter, and then the next thing I know they are home from their honeymoon!!!

#25 · (Edited)
just answer me this ( as a first time viewer) Bates is married to the women who is visiting him....he is accused a killing his wife. Was the women he killed his ex wife?? Did he kill her and then marry the women who is visiting him( his current wife?)
It will be a while before I know the names. Lol

I think I found the answer!!
One of the fans' favorite characters is John Bates, a k a Mr. Bates (Brendan Coyle), the valet to Lord Robert Crawley (Hugh Bonneville), Earl of Grantham. At the end of Season 2, Bates was wrongly sent to prison for the murder of his vindictive former wife, Vera (Maria Doyle Kennedy). Just before being put behind bars, Bates married his lady love, housemaid Anna May Smith (Joanne Froggett).

#28 ·
just answer me this ( as a first time viewer) Bates is married to the women who is visiting him....he is accused a killing his wife. Was the women he killed his ex wife?? Did he kill her and then marry the women who is visiting him( his current wife?)
It will be a while before I know the names. Lol

I think I found the answer!!
One of the fans' favorite characters is John Bates, a k a Mr. Bates (Brendan Coyle), the valet to Lord Robert Crawley (Hugh Bonneville), Earl of Grantham. At the end of Season 2, Bates was wrongly sent to prison for the murder of his vindictive former wife, Vera (Maria Doyle Kennedy). Just before being put behind bars, Bates married his lady love, housemaid Anna May Smith (Joanne Froggett).
Evelyn, sounds like you got your answer. I wish you would watch the first couple of episodes.
(My favorite is the 1st season, 3rd episode where a good looking guy visits the estate . . .) the early episodes are nice because they really show how the home operates and shows beautiful scenery as well.
Enjoy!
Evelyn, I totally agree with Gelbergirl. If you enjoyed last night's episode, get hold of the earlier seasons and watch. This show is so amazingly well done, in my opinion. Every episode is thoroughly enjoyable from beginning to end. That way you will also be able to watch the character development. See the wonderful costumes. The first season started before World War I.

#26 ·
Evelyn, sounds like you got your answer. I wish you would watch the first couple of episodes.
(My favorite is the 1st season, 3rd episode where a good looking guy visits the estate . . .) the early episodes are nice because they really show how the home operates and shows beautiful scenery as well.
Enjoy!

#35 ·
We were late in starting to watch it. After seeing the special on the house (It is a house, by the way, and not a real castle. It's just named a Castle) we watched the first season on Netflix.

The acting was great all the way through the cast, and of course the "set" is amazing. We're anxiously awaiting the second season to come out on Netflix, but are probably going to get it on Blueray disk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.