Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 05:59 AM   #31
m0rg4n

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windym300 View Post
Where are you in Germany? My daughter is in Ramstein. Actually my SIL is Air force and stationed there and they live in a village 20 min away from base. I have been telling her she needs to get me a puppy from one of the awesome breeders I always stalk over in Europe ..lol.. Where did you get yours from?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

We're about an hour from Ramstein, stationed in Wiesbaden.
We looked all over and finally found Indy from Rosemarie Schäfer at http://www.jokitas.de
There are quite a few breeders over here, it was a little surprising.
m0rg4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #32
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0rg4n View Post
We looked all over and finally found Indy from Rosemarie Schäfer at http://www.jokitas.de
There are some really top Havanese breeders n Germany.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #33
windym300
Wendy

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
That's cool! I've been looking for a show girl for myself. I had been looking at some breeders within driving distance of her but its hard to do that because you never know how they will turn out. Some of the European breeders also put some strong restrictions on dogs you buy for the US to show. I tried to talk her into getting one but a Havanese isn't for her. She thinks they look too girly for her husband. She has a mini long haired Doxie and having him was very tough! Lol. Of course she always jumps in getting a puppy and doesn't think about personality type..Her Doxie is a cutie. He is cream colored and to me actually looks like a dwarfed golden retriever..This is off topic but just plugging..lol.. If you ever need a really great photographer you could look her up, jessreneephotography.com .. Yes, I'm a Mom....lol. And Indy is such a cutie pie! My daughter said she heard Germans didn't like to sell dogs to Americans because they tend to leave them because they don't want to pay to take them back. I was curious if you had heard that and if you had any issue with that. Thanks!

Old 03-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #34
m0rg4n

Quote:
My daughter said she heard Germans didn't like to sell dogs to Americans because they tend to leave them because they don't want to pay to take them back. I was curious if you had heard that and if you had any issue with that. Thanks!

Issues? Yeah you could say that.

We started looking for a dog nearly two years ago. We didn't have a breed picked out and really wanted a rescue. The pounds here are run very differently from the states. First, we had to drive over an hour to even find a place that would look at us as a case by case situation and not just the blanket statement of "no americans". I understand that rule though. There really is a problem with soldiers leaving pets when they move. Sometimes it's because they're deploying and they don't have a choice to bring them but not always.

Once it became apparent that we weren't going to be able to get a young rescue dog locally we looked into what it would take to get a pound puppy from the states brought over here. Even though you can find puppies all over the place in pounds, especially if you aren't looking for anything specific it would still cost so much to ship a dog and the added stress is something we wanted to skip if we could.

Next came the breed search. After looking up everything and talking to anyone we could get a hold of we decided on a Havanese. Finding breeders that would deal with Americans was easy compared to shelters but it still took time. We found Die JoKiTas's and were so very lucky. They speak very little english and we speak very broken german and they were still so welcoming. She translated everything so we knew exactly what Indy was doing during the day and sent pictures every week. I do think we're missing out because I won't walk away with a breeder who I will be able to contact with any questions. I know they would do their best to help but the language barrier is so hard to overcome. I've read so many stories here about how breeders become good friends and I hate that we miss out on that but I'm so glad that Indy is apart of our family.

So yes. Finding a young dog as an American can be a little bit of a problem but it just makes bringing home the fur ball that much more exciting!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #35
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
That's cool! I've been looking for a show girl for myself. I had been looking at some breeders within driving distance of her but its hard to do that because you never know how they will turn out. Some of the European breeders also put some strong restrictions on dogs you buy for the US to show. I tried to talk her into getting one but a Havanese isn't for her. She thinks they look too girly for her husband. She has a mini long haired Doxie and having him was very tough! Lol. Of course she always jumps in getting a puppy and doesn't think about personality type..Her Doxie is a cutie. He is cream colored and to me actually looks like a dwarfed golden retriever..This is off topic but just plugging..lol.. If you ever need a really great photographer you could look her up, jessreneephotography.com .. Yes, I'm a Mom....lol. And Indy is such a cutie pie! My daughter said she heard Germans didn't like to sell dogs to Americans because they tend to leave them because they don't want to pay to take them back. I was curious if you had heard that and if you had any issue with that. Thanks!

Maybe that's why I haven't heard of people IN the US having trouble buying German (or European!) dogs... The cost of getting them to the U.S. is part of the up-front cost of purchasing the pup! It's awful to think that people would buy them as pets while living in Europe and then just want to leave them behind! (though I know there are a lot of people here in the US that do the same sorts of things)

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #36
windym300
Wendy

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Issues? Yeah you could say that.

We started looking for a dog nearly two years ago. We didn't have a breed picked out and really wanted a rescue. The pounds here are run very differently from the states. First, we had to drive over an hour to even find a place that would look at us as a case by case situation and not just the blanket statement of "no americans". I understand that rule though. There really is a problem with soldiers leaving pets when they move. Sometimes it's because they're deploying and they don't have a choice to bring them but not always.

Once it became apparent that we weren't going to be able to get a young rescue dog locally we looked into what it would take to get a pound puppy from the states brought over here. Even though you can find puppies all over the place in pounds, especially if you aren't looking for anything specific it would still cost so much to ship a dog and the added stress is something we wanted to skip if we could.

Next came the breed search. After looking up everything and talking to anyone we could get a hold of we decided on a Havanese. Finding breeders that would deal with Americans was easy compared to shelters but it still took time. We found Die JoKiTas's and were so very lucky. They speak very little english and we speak very broken german and they were still so welcoming. She translated everything so we knew exactly what Indy was doing during the day and sent pictures every week. I do think we're missing out because I won't walk away with a breeder who I will be able to contact with any questions. I know they would do their best to help but the language barrier is so hard to overcome. I've read so many stories here about how breeders become good friends and I hate that we miss out on that but I'm so glad that Indy is apart of our family.

So yes. Finding a young dog as an American can be a little bit of a problem but it just makes bringing home the fur ball that much more exciting!
Wow sounds like it took you a while to get around to getting Indy. Glad it finally worked out!

Old 03-09-2013, 04:46 AM   #37
m0rg4n

Quote:
Wow sounds like it took you a while to get around to getting Indy. Glad it finally worked out!

He is worth the wait. Looking for so long has also helped with my patience level I'm sure