Havanese Forum banner

Is your Hav obsessed with paper?

Is your dog obsessed with all things paper?

15K views 70 replies 45 participants last post by  Pucks104 
#1 ·
I'm just curious as to how prevalent the paper obsession in Havs really is, so I'm doing just a quick yes/no poll to see.

#2 ·
Yup. Oreo likes to pull tissue paper out of the Kleenex box and chomp on it until I try to take it away from him. Then his jaws snap shut and I can't pry it away from him without the tissue breaking hahaha.

Oh, he also loves receipts that fall on the ground. He'll snatch it up in an instant.

#8 ·
Tillie had to learn young WHICH paper was okay and which was OFF limits. She controls herself very well ... :peace: She will NOT touch any 'regular' weight paper, lined, blank, maps, anything else. BUT I do not leave kleenex boxes laying around ... LOL AND her biggest weakness is tissue paper and the occasional paper towel. :D but she KNOWS that those acceptable things to shred on occasion. and I DO give her the empty TP roll to play with and shred... but I don't think she's obsessed. or maybe I've just gotten used to it!! ;)

#9 ·
Charley is a toilet paper/tissue/paper maniac. My prior dog, Molly a miniature poodle was exactly the same way. I don't get it but I've always kept the TP on a shelf instead on the roller. Same with tissues and paper. Out of reach is key.

#12 ·
I have one that is and one that could care less about it. The worst thing was when I had tucked a twenty in my wallet but not all the way in. He saw my purse grabbed the money and was off and running. Believe me I yelled louder than he has ever heard from me. LOL He did "leave it"

#13 ·
That's funny. I pieced a $5 back together, it wasnt torn too bad. I caught them in time.

Lucy is Kleenex crazed! And like someone else mentioned, she clamps her jaws so hard I can't open her mouth. I learned to just tip her upside down and her mouth opens automatically when she tries to scream....kind of. The first time works like magic but she's learning to keep her mouth shut when I tip her..

#15 ·
I do not have toilet paper rolls within his reach at home, since I learned quickly that he would shred them. But... Sorry in advance if TMI... sometimes I bring him into the bathroom with me at work. The other day as I was pulling the end of the TP roll, he leapt up and chomped down on one of the squares, then tugged and that one square came out. He pulled so fast and suddenly that it's like that one square was surgically removed. He looked so pleased with himself! :pound: He seems to be mellowing out about paper a little bit. At least he is not trying to chew every gross fast food wrapper he finds in a parking lot. Sniffs at it and leaves it, usually. He's getting so mature now that he's almost 5 months old, ha ha.
-- Eileen

#17 ·
If I found 3/4 wheel of Brie I would have been tempted to chomp on it myself. :biggrin1: On a side note -- I never noticed before how many people just throw their trash on the ground Gross!!! Well, my puppy will still chew on this stuff sometimes, just not as much as before. And he definitely prefers tp, kleenex, or paper towels, which seems to be true of most paper loving Havanese. I wonder why.. We'll probably never know. Ha ha ha.
-- Eileen

#18 ·
I don't know how to answer this because Gucci was when she was younger, she only rips apart the occasional (once a month or so ) thing that she finds with a smell.
I don't use paper towels anymore (since I sell eco alternative unpaper towels..it'd be bad if I didn't use my own creations, lol) and she actually will sometimes chew on and flip around one of the unpaper towels if it has a gross smell to it (and rub her body on it)

So idk..obsessed? maybe not so much anymore..
but ignores paper? not even close,

I'd say she's a social shredder....:pound::pound:

Kara

#22 ·
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but Havanese are not unique about paper. Most all puppies with shred paper...newspaper, toilet paper, magazines, etc. The trouble with Havanese is they stay puppies longer than most little dogs. Rosie is over three now and she tore into the only copy of my 2010 Balance sheet from the CPA. And the adding machine paper is fair game. But she doesn't shred like she did when she was a puppy anymore. I left her in my office once when she was a puppy with the door open. I was up the hall when a city official came in, peeked in my office and then went looking for me. Her first words were I love the way you have decorated your office. Sure enough, she had gone in the bathroom where the toilet paper was stored and taken it back in my office and shredded it all over the place. I sorta miss those days.

#23 ·
No bubbles to be burst, but honestly growing up we have had, at various times, a Cocker Spaniel, German Shepherd, Bichon Frise, Maltese, and various mixed breed dogs (both large and small) and this is the first time I've personally ever seen this type of obsession with paper (I'm in no way suggesting that other dogs can't or don't have it too!), but it really does seem to run rampant among Havanese which I just happen to find really intriguing.

All our dogs have had their own little quirks: the German Shephard ate my grandma's curtains and she (the dog, not my grandma) could pop locks on doors and turn door handles and get into parts of the house she wasn't supposed to; one of our mixed breeds could scale fences and was impossible to contain in a yard; the Bichon was OCD about his toys; and our tiny mixed breed never barked and refused to have anything to do with toys after the first time he discovered the squeaker in one of them - it scared him and after that, that was it...no second chances!

With Brody, it's paper. When Brody spots a piece of paper his eyes immediately light up with pure joy. He's not even really huge into just shredding for shredding sake - there is a whole process...he carries it around, he throws it in the air and chases it, stalks it, hunts it. He does eventually gets down to the business of shredding (which is usually when it becomes "game over" for him because he decides to eat it at that point too). He savors the whole paper experience!

I do keep my bathroom door shut, but he does pretty much leave the toilet paper roll alone now, so the roll is back on the holder instead of up on the counter. He WILL go into garbage containers and drag out paper, but does reluctantly stop when I remind him he's not supposed to be in there (usually after he unsuccessfully pretends he can't hear me)! My paper bin/garbage that I have by my computer is still barricaded off with rubbermaid lids so he can't get into it because it's still too much of an irresistible temptation for him!

Thankfully, he gets over me taking stuff away from him pretty quickly. My mom and dad's toy-obsessed Bichon (obsessed on an OCD scale) would destroy his toys, but when you took one away from him after it became unsafe, he'd NEVER forget where you put it. He'd lay in front of where it was taken to and cry for days! Throwing them out was this huge process that involved stashing it in a cupboard and then trying to sneak it out to the garbage when he wasn't around (which basically meant he had to be out of the house). Even months later, if you happened to go to a cupboard one had been stashed in he'd start up with the crying again wanting his toy back.

I must confess that I do find it interesting that the love of all-things-paper is so prevalent among Havanese. It's just one of those curiosities that intrigue me.

#24 · (Edited)
At the beginning we had to remove the toilett rolls from their holders,
as she would pick-up one end, and unroll it all over the house.
Now she will no longer touch the rolls; but if she find a napking or a kleenex,
the vacuum cleaner is needed to pick up all the pieces.
Nethertheless she is a darling !

http://www.havaneseforum.com/picture.php?albumid=621&pictureid=3605

This is Prissy when she wakes up !

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.