Question about Breeder & Responses - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > BREEDER INFORMATION > BREEDERS

BREEDERS Breeders can show the health testing they do, the set up their dogs live in and all important information relating to being a breeder. DO NOT ADVERTISE PUPPIES HERE!

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #11
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 68 Times in 68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsilvers27 View Post
Unfortunately this is the trend for "rare" breeds that suddenly become trendy. About 15 years removed it used to be easier to adopt a child than to buy a Bernese Mountain dog. At that point you could only get them from show breeders. Over time the dogs inevitably get into the wrong hands. It is a slippery slope. Now, over the summer I saw an example of the decline of the breed: a rescued female BMD, pigeon toed and who else knows, eight years old (that's about how old they get, they are short-lived) and bred 12 times. She was completely unaccustomed to anything and probably passed by now. To get to the point of her leading such a sad life, the dogs had to have gotten into people that "don't show but their dogs are champion lined and don't do all the health testings because their dogs come from healthy lines and the tests are too expensive anyways." Best to buy dogs from people who actually care about the breed.
The good thing about Havanese is that, purchased from a good breeder who does all the testing, breeds carefully and raise the puppies well, is that you are actually LIKELY to get a healthy dog with great temperament who will live well into its teens. Unfortunately, the same can't be said about Berners. Even the well bred ones are short lived and prone to many diseases. Not quite as bad as Cavaliers, where 100% of them carry the genes for heart problems, but Berners aren't a healthy breed. A shame too, because like Cavaliers, they have some of the best "family" temperaments in the dog world. (Havanese aside, of course!!!)

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
vls2

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to say thank-you for all your responses. I thought I had done research on the breed, what to expect, etc., but I guess there is still more to do. So, I definitely won't be purchasing a puppy from that particular breeder.

If anyone has any experience with breeders in Texas, I would welcome the input.

Thanks so much!
vls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #13
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 68 Times in 68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vls2 View Post
I wanted to say thank-you for all your responses. I thought I had done research on the breed, what to expect, etc., but I guess there is still more to do. So, I definitely won't be purchasing a puppy from that particular breeder.

If anyone has any experience with breeders in Texas, I would welcome the input.

Thanks so much!
I think you've made the right decision. I hope you find a great breeder with pups available near you. But if not, do consider traveling. I had to fly to pick up my puppy, and i haven't regretted it for a moment. He is the perfect dog for us, he came from great breeders, and they have been a wonderful resource for me. I consider them good friends as well as the breeders of my dog! In the scheme of things, the extra cost of traveling to get your pup isn't all that much amortized over the life of the dog.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote