Havanese Forum banner

Multiple Havanese in Northern CA Shelter!

28K views 55 replies 24 participants last post by  StarrLhasa 
#1 ·
There are multiple purebred Havanese awaiting adoption at Sutter County Animal Control's Shelter in Yuba City. Someone surrendered twelve (yes, TWELVE!) purebred Havanese ranging in age from (per the shelter's rep's guess) about 6 mos to about 4 years of age. Only three of these dogs are being featured online right now because most of the others are staying with a Papillon breeder who lives near the shelter.

Havanese Rescue does not have enough foster homes in the Northern California area to bring this many dogs into the foster program right away. However, the shelter has said that they will not euthanize these dogs before HRI can somehow find them homes (most likely via direct adoption from the shelter).

PLEASE help get the word out!!! These dogs need homes. If anyone you know in the Northern California area would like to adopt a Havanese, please have them contact the shelter directly and ask for Kay. Sutter County Animal Control is located at 102 2nd St in Yuba City, and their phone number is (530) 822-7375. Here is the link to the Shelter's website:
http://www.co.sutter.ca.us/doc/government/depts/cs/acs/acs

Links to the profiles of the three dogs featured online follow. Please remember-these are only three of the MANY adoptable Havs that were surrendered to the shelter.
Here are the profiles on AdoptAPet.com:
http://www.adoptapet.com/pet4093359.html
http://www.adoptapet.com/pet4093360.html
http://www.adoptapet.com/pet4093361.html
And, here are links to the same three dogs on Petfinder:
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16879015
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16879016
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16879014

Thank you for helping get the word out!

See less See more
#2 ·
Geez, I wish they had all their faces up on-line. It's easier to get a friend interested if they can see those faces! Tracy do you know anything about why these dogs were dropped at the shelter? I had contacted HRI about some other Hav mixes only a short while back and I see one of those is still there too. (Dewey) :( I wonder if they came from the same place?

Anyone in the Bay looking to adopt? NOW is the time!

#4 ·
Christy:

I honestly don't know much more than I already wrote. I discovered the three that are online, called the shelter for info, and then reported the situation to HRI Intake. At that point, I still thought it was only three dogs. Some folks from intake then called the shelter and spoke with a different rep (Kay) who was more forthcoming with info-which was then passed back to me. Several of us are working several different angles. Personally, I am working on getting the word out. As you said: Anyone in the Bay who is looking to adopt - NOW is the time!

#7 ·
Find out if I can grab the photos. If so, I'll post it on a massive real estate group I'm with. It get a lot of Google juice.

#12 ·
Hello all…here is the latest information:

Two of the three dogs that were featured online have been adopted (the black & white male got adopted over the weekend and the white male got adopted today).The one remaining is the Grey and Silver Male (http://www.adoptapet.com/pet4093360.html; Dog #4; Shelter ID #082511).

The nine other dogs surrendered are still with the Papillon breeder, and need to be transferred to the shelter before they will be adopted out. The shelter hopes that this will happen later this week, but they could not commit to a day, and they expect that they will come in waves of about three dogs at a time. They will post them online as they arrive.

So, in short, if you (or anyone you know) wants to adopt one of the remaining Havanese:
1) Consider adopting the one still at the shelter who needs a home.
2) PLEASE keep checking the Shelter's website for the arrival of the other dogs. Go to http://www.co.sutter.ca.us/doc/government/depts/cs/acs/adoptableanimals, and then conduct the search via their link to www.petharbor.com.
3) If you call the shelter about any of these Havs, always ask for "Kay" or "Officer Skinner." They are the only people at the shelter who are intimately familiar with the status of these dogs. Other well-meaning staffers have recently given incorrect information to callers.

Thank you everyone for helping to find these dogs homes!

#16 ·
This is sounding like it's going in a good direction!
An officer that's interested, an owner that turned them in somewhere where they weren't killed automatically, rescue groups working together, social networking groups working together to help the dogs, etc, it's all terrific!

Hopefully things will continue to go smoothly and all the Havies will find good new forever homes.

Beverly

#17 ·
We still need help; More info about the Northern CA Shelter Havanese.

First, a recap:
The original info was that there were 3 dogs onsite at the shelter and 9 more in a temporary home until the shelter had room to take them. Two of the original three got adopted, leaving one (very shy) 4-year-old male still at the shelter.

Now the update:
Those nine additional dogs PLUS THREE MORE have arrived at the shelter, bringing the NEW TOTAL to 15 dogs…13 of whom still need homes. The shelter is understandably overwhelmed right now with processing these dogs, so they will not be available for viewing and adoption until tomorrow (Thursday).

Here is a summary of the Havs who are at the shelter and will be available for adoption:
(1) 4-year-old adult male (available now)
(5) 2-year-old adult males
(4) 5-month-old male puppies
(1) 5-month old female puppy
(2) 8-month-old female puppy

Please note: The 12 new arrivals are not listed online yet, but these dogs ARE at the shelter and WILL be available for adoption beginning Thursday. There's no need to call the shelter for updates before then, as the only dog who can be adopted between now and then is the 4-year-old male.

PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE WORD:
ANYONE INTERESTED IN ADOPTING SHOULD VISIT THE SHELTER ON (OR AFTER) THURSDAY.
The shelter's hours are 10am-4pm on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, but they are CLOSED on Sunday.
The shelter is located at 102 Second Street in Yuba City, and their website is http://www.co.sutter.ca.us/doc/government/depts/cs/acs/acs

ANYONE INTERESTED IN FOSTERING SHOULD REGISTER WITH HRI.
The volunteer registration form is located at: http://havaneserescue.com/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=registers&Itemid=200075
Once you complete the form, please let me know by sending me a note at: http://www.sfhavanese.com/Contact_Us.html
I will let one of the other HRI volunteers know to look for your application.

#21 ·
Juliette:

I can tell you that these dogs are NOT coming from any of the reputable breeders in the area. In fact, we've been working with many of them to find adoptive families for these dogs. We have some strong suspicions about the source of the dogs, but the shelter will neither confirm nor deny them.

The best way to help is to get the word out. Tweet. Post on FB. Tell your co-workers. Etc. We're hoping to find as many loving adoptive homes as we can for these dogs and find foster homes for the rest.

#24 ·
Friend called today - 9 left - 5 puppies left - she wants one desperately...can't go today - but can tomorrow - if anyone has any other updates please let me know... THANKS!!
There were only 8 left when I checked a few minutes ago. Apparently, they had to hand out numbers this morning and make people wait in line! The animal control officer in charge made a point of telling me how amazingly good the homes were where these dogs were going. Really nice people who clearly cared about the dogs. Please, oh please, let this keep up!

Tell your friend to be there as close to 10am tomorrow (i.e. opening time) as she can!

#23 ·
Wow, if only I were close by! My mom and stepfather are looking to get a new dog in the fall and I'd be more than happy to 'puppysit' a few months until then! I hope these Havs find great homes soon. Thank you for the updates! :)

#27 ·
omg....how sad....

took off work to go up but my friend can't go at last moment...all ok as she will get a hav in the end...

but here are the facts...there are 3- 2 year olds....and 4 male pups 5-8 months - mostly black a tiny bit of white on 2...they have long semi mated hair..need bath and grooming...

the females all went today...they actually had to give out numbers because the response was so high...

boys are in love with their mommy ..i hope the boys get their forever homes by Saturday!!! of course am am partial to boys as each one of mine are nuggled up to me in bed right now! :amen:

#28 ·
Is the little shy 4 yr old male still there? The one whose picture is on Pet Harbor? I wouldn't mind fostering him...my app is being processed by HRI...but maybe he'll find a forever home by the time my app gets processed. Hope so. I am impressed by all of the responses by so many good people..

#29 · (Edited)
Update:

Just got off the phone with Kay. 3 havs left. 2, 2 yr olds, white, need a bath and grooming, all dogs have fleas (a lot). the shy 4 yr old is still there. but there's a gal in San Luis Obispo that is driving up to adopt him. Now that's commitment.

The story is the pom breeder has a business partner that moved some 30 dogs to the pom house, then just left. there are more havs coming to the shelter. how many Kay isn't sure.

the flakey business also left quite a few schnoodles. schnauzer poodles, also black, 6 months old, 8-10 lbs, need a bath and grooming and full of fleas. all boys. very sweet she said and social, look more poodle, soft coats. she has 4 schnoodles left at the shelter, and more to come.

Kay also said that the pom breeder is overwhelmed with all the dogs, I feel badly for her and wonder if there's a way HRI can help her directly.
Kay also said she is floored by the adoption response. ppl from all over CA are coming to adopt the dogs.

nice job ppl!

#30 ·
Update:

Just got off the phone with Kay. 3 havs left. 2, 2 yr olds, all black, need a bath and grooming, all dogs have fleas (a lot). the shy 4 yr old is still there. but there's a gal in San Luis Obispo that is driving up to adopt him. Now that's commitment.

The story is the pom breeder has a business partner that moved some 30 dogs to the pom house, then just left. there are more havs coming to the shelter. how many Kay isn't sure.

the flakey business also left quite a few schnoodles. schnauzer poodles, also black, 6 months old, 8-10 lbs, need a bath and grooming and full of fleas. all boys. very sweet she said and social, look more poodle, soft coats. she has 4 schnoodles left at the shelter, and more to come.

Kay also said that the pom breeder is overwhelmed with all the dogs, I feel badly for her and wonder if there's a way HRI can help her directly.
Kay also said she is floored by the adoption response. ppl from all over CA are coming to adopt the dogs.

nice job ppl!
Thanks for the update! I was elated to hear only 3 Hav's left, but more on the way?? Whoa. I hope the adoption response stays high. Black dogs don't seem to attract homes as quickly as other colors so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them. As someone who has a black Havanese, I can swear they are really wonderful dogs though!

#33 ·
I'm curious... is the shelter insisting the Havs get neutered/spayed by those adopting them? I would hope so..... It is very nice to hear about the great response. Way to go! :)

#38 ·
It seems like a few good things have come out of this: people are willing to adopt and put up the money to get these poor pups cleaned up, and also, there has been a spike in the number of people willing to foster for HRI (including me). According to Ursula of HRI, there has been quite an increase in applications, maybe due to this situation...she also told me that 37-40 surrendered animals is not unusual..in her area, there were 300 in one incident! This is what happens in a down economy...bless all those folks that have adopted these pups...

#40 ·
Christy, I'm sure that for some people $40 is nothing compared to the idea of having "cute puppies". UGH! Kimberly, it is like that in our non-profit shelters, but there are some that aren't subsidized by government/donations and they don't insist on neutering or spaying. I had a very heated argument with an employee of one of these places a few months ago when I was looking for the owners of a small dog I had found. She practically laughed in my face when I asked why they didn't insist on getting adopted pets neutered and said it was none of their business what people did with these pets. I was flabbergasted and almost jumped the counter to strangle the b**** !! :frusty:

Reactions: AnnaM
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.