Havanese Forum banner

Belton Marking Progression Pictures

6K views 46 replies 11 participants last post by  HavaneseSoon 
#1 ·
On May 7 I had to get Brody shaved down when I took him in for his groom. Once shaved, I could see without a doubt the Belton spots. I was actually shocked how prolific they were.

Anyhow, I've been trying to remember to take a photo around every week to see how the spots change as his hair grows out. Even after only 1 month there is a big difference.

Photo 1 is from May 7.

Photo 2 is from May 15

Photo 3 is from May 25

Photo 4 is from June 8

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for sharing - that is very interesting compared to Brody's avatar.

On a sidenote - there was a post on the board last week about Belton coloring, and I wanted to get a better idea of what that meant so I searched on it and clicked on the first choice and BAM got a virus. $200 and 3 days later the Geek Squad had me cleared up :( And I never did see a pic of the Belton coloring - until today, so thanks!

#3 · (Edited)
You searched on this forum? Or on the internet? I've never heard of anyone getting a virus searching on the forum?!?!

If you want to see more Belton photos (including some of Brody and several other forum Belton Havs) here is a thread I started a while ago showing Kodi's coat progression from puppyhood through adult. Kodi has a lot fewer Belton spots than Brody, so it's nice to see the variations as well.

http://www.havaneseforum.com/showthread.php?t=15736&highlight=Belton+progression

#6 ·
So Tracy and Karen, do you think my puppy Cash has Belton coloring (first picture)? When I look under his black hair the skin looks black, and his mouth has black pigment in it also. When I look under Tango's brown hair (second picture) it doesn't look brown. Just wondering - thanks!

Attachments

#7 ·
It's not really possible to tell from these photos. It is normal for the skin to be black (or bluish) in the areas where the dog has black hair. I have no idea with a chocolate, because I've never had one.

Belton marks would be seen in as small spots in the WHITE areas. On your b&w pup the spotswould be black, on the chocolate and white, they would be chocolate. But either could be Belton. (or not). I think they are still a little young to telll for sure.

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks! I think he's a cutie too, but I might not be completely impartial!:biggrin1:

He has a big round spot on his back that, with his long hair, now looks like a stripe of black going down both sides of his body. If you look at the thread I mentioned a few posts up in this thread, you can see what he looked like from a baby right on up.

#13 ·
Just updating his marking progression pics. The last ones I posted were from June 8 (scroll up to see to post #1)

Here are a couple from today (June 24) after his bath.

On an unrelated note: this was the best he has ever been with the hair dryer. He actually layed down beside me and pretty much just let me go to it with no snapping at the hair dryer like he usually does. I tried doing it on my bed this time. I didn't use it for long (just a few minutes) since he was pretty much already dry just from running around - since his hair is still fairly short...but he's definitely starting to get his fluffy back!

Attachments

#14 ·
Just updating with more progression pictures.

The first shot is from about a week after he got shaved down. The rest of the photos are from yesterday.

Attachments

#15 ·
No one really seems interested in the Belton progression pictures (after Brody's shave down) other than me, but I'm updating anyhow just so I have a record for myself. This is 3 months after he was shaved down.

He doesn't ever seem to go to a crisp white, but it ends up looking rather greyish which results in people thinking he's an older dog (which annoys the crap outta me for some reason).

Attachments

#16 ·
I'm definitely interested! I may not have posted, but I make sure I see what you've posted every time you update this thread. I find the differences in these guys fascinating! ...And I think Brody is ADORABLE with all his freckles!:whoo:

#21 ·
I am also interested, because Rosie has it bad and I don't like it. Was Brody white before the shavedown? I posted last week a picture of the wet Rosie and in another thread I posted her all blown dry. She still has the white outer coat and you wouldn't know that underneath was all this grey. It keeps me from having her shaved down. It looks like lyour Brody will be mostly grey, especially if the black silvers. It does amaze me to see them.

#22 ·
More pics.

From August 24, 2012 (he was shaved May 7, 2012 so that would be just under 16 weeks (if I counted correctly).

I never manage to get him when he's clean. Somehow I end up taking pictures at the end of the week when he's all grungy. He definitely looks whiter when he's freshly bathed.

Attachments

#24 ·
Is that considered curly? I've always considered it wavy. I so suck at these classification things!! ha ha

His "white" is way wavier than his black hair and the colours feel different as well. His forehead hair quite often looks like somebody took a crimping iron to it.

The face shots don't really show the Belton progression...I just included them because it's so rare for me to actually get one - usually I just get a blur as he looks away!!

#25 ·
Thought I would finally check this thread out and got to thinking....No.....is this a shave down thread?

Wow! Look at those spots! Look at him now, so fluffy and curly! Great thread! I would of looked at it earlier if I had known it was a shave down thread.

Thanks so much for sharing! I love it!

#27 ·
Ohhh...no...I am definitely interested in your progression photos! Having recently had a major clipper mishap with my Ernie, I am closely following such posts and photos! I've been following your photos and other "progression" photos from owners who are following hair growth after shaving and/or clipping their kids very short.

Thank you for all your efforts and PLEASE keep posting! I love the pics!

And your baby is beautiful...so darn cute!!!

#28 ·
Updated photos: From today (September 5, 2012). He's totally unkempt and ungroomed as usual for these photos. ha ha (we do grooming in the evening at home while I usually end up snapping pictures at work)

Attachments

#30 ·
I really like this length. I just wish he didn't feel the need to brush up against ever burr, seed pod, and any other hard to get out of his fur thing known to man! His hair is like a microfibre cleaning cloth...sucks up everything!!!

#31 ·
I nearly made an appointment for Rosie this week to get clipped. But I like the teddy bear cut about three inches all over and that would make her all gray. Right now she is matting again for some reason. We have made the hottest summer on record and not one hair shed, but now the undercoat is shedding again. About one more week is all I have in me to worry with it--then the puppy cut.

#32 ·
The great thing about hair is that it grows back. Getting Brody shaved wasn't what I wanted, but it is what it is. We've both definitely appreciated the ease of grooming this has afforded us - it was a nightmare battle before (one I was losing). So far my new CC comb is really making a difference, so hopefully we don't end up back in the same situation again. If, however, it did come down to matting and long grooming sessions again, I'd not hesitate to get him clipped down again. IN the end, we're all happier than trying to struggle with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.