Havanese Forum banner

Disgusting Habit

3K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  PebblesPages 
#1 ·
My Ci Ci keeps scratching to go outside and returning with poop. She takes it to her bed to chew on it. Not sure if she intends to play with it or eat it because I take it away before it gets to that point. What in the world is going on here and how long will this stage last?

#2 ·
I have heard that pouring hot sauce or bitter apple spray on the poop and letting them try to eat it works, because they don't like the taste of hot sauce and how it is to spicy for them, or how the bitter apple spray is to bitter. Worth a try to break that gross habit. Thats what i did with my puppy when he suddenly became fixated on leaves, he would try to eat all the leaves he came across on a walk, so i covered some leaves with bitter apple spray and let him try to eat the leaves, he hasn't picked one up in a year.

#4 ·
I agree. Kodi was ALWAYS on leash to go poop, so that we knew right where it was and could pick it up immediately when he was still learning. I'd heard of too many dogs who were poop eaters, and wanted to do everything possible to keep him from acquiring a taste for it.:puke:

#5 ·
Whimsy poops on her piddle pad in the laundry room and then comes trotting back full speed to wherever I am in the house to let me know what she has done. It's so funny! LOL I almost feel like she wants me to pick it up and get rid of it right away. She then follows me back to the piddle pad and watches me as I get rid of it. If we are outside and she poops, she comes charging over to me full speed to let me know. It's almost like she doesn't want it around her. very quirky.
Good luck and keep us posted! I'm sure you can turn things around with CI CI

#6 · (Edited)
#13 ·
Yeah, horse poop is a whole different issue, and I think it's MUCH harder to get dogs to CONSISTENTLY leave it alone. Horse food typically contains molasses, and I suspect tho poop still tastes sweet. I don't know many dogs who won't eat it, given the chance.

And while Kodi won't touch dog poop, he will eat (or roll in or preferrably both!!!) deer poop, rabbit poop or almost any other wild animal poop he finds!!!:frusty:

#15 ·
Cat box? Yeah, that's another one they find almost irresistible. Ours is in the basement, with a "cat door" in the basement door that Kodi doesn't fit through. (and even if he did, he's afraid of the dark basement stairs!:biggrin1:) I wouldn't bet any amount that he's stay away from cat poop if he could get to it!:pound:

... Oh, the cat FOOD has to be up on a table now too, because Kodi would eat that to. Snowbelle is the only cat I know with her own, dedicated dining table in one end of the dining room! ;)

#16 ·
our is in the basement, but I live in a very old condo. all of the interior doors are metal.
Maya has also been trying to claim my bed as her own and has been peeing in it.:frusty: I have been trying to keep the door closed, but even in the short time it is open to brush my teeth :brushteeth: or run to the bathroom, is all the time she needs. I keep telling her, she is just lucky she is just so darn cute and that I love her!:D

#17 ·
just curious, but why do you feel she is "trying to claim the bed as hers" by peeing in it?
Was she fully house trained for a long time before this behavior?
Just asking because the peeing on the bed was THE big red light for all of the health stuff Tillie's been going through. The way I figure it is that she had NEVER done it before, she was obviously TRYING to tell us something and she KNEW if she pee'd ON the bed(s) THAT would surely get our attention... just a thought. :)

#18 ·
Yeah Karen,
it's still gross! none of my other dogs seem to care about horse poop, or any poop for that matter, thank goodness!

The grossest all time thing I ever saw, my big boy Cosmo, we were at a huge off leash dog park, Point Isabel, and Cosmo was squatting doing #2. the second a piece hit the ground, a basset hound came flying by, and scooped up the fresh log in his mouth (barely slowed down to get it in his mouth) and right behind him was his screaming owner. forever etched in my mind.

#20 ·
Yeah Karen,
it's still gross! none of my other dogs seem to care about horse poop, or any poop for that matter, thank goodness!

The grossest all time thing I ever saw, my big boy Cosmo, we were at a huge off leash dog park, Point Isabel, and Cosmo was squatting doing #2. the second a piece hit the ground, a basset hound came flying by, and scooped up the fresh log in his mouth (barely slowed down to get it in his mouth) and right behind him was his screaming owner. forever etched in my mind.
Oh great....now it's etched in my mind! LOL

#19 ·
Reading all these posts about poop eating dogs, my first thought was along the lines of "wow, I'm lucky my dog doesn't do that". My next thought was, "oh no, what fresh new hell do I have to look forward to?". So far Benjamin only sniffs at other dogs' poop, and when I say it's 'icky' will turn away from it. OTOH, it seems quite possible (likely?) that he has just not yet learned to appreciate the pleasure of poop eating. I'm sure it's not an original or profound observation, but it kills me how we bend over backwards to please our dogs with tempting treats. Boiled chicken? Liver bites? Bully sticks? Perhaps a little steak tartare or poached salmon? Then they go and eat dead birds and bits of moldy burrito and POOP, of all things! :pound: I will never understand this!
-- Eileen

#22 ·
:whoo::whoo::whoo:

Kodi's poop doesn't mell much either.. I wonder whether other people have seen a difference in poop eating depending on what their dogs are being fed.

This post has been deleted
#23 ·
Well, THAT would be disheartening!:pound: Fortunately, Kodi leaves his alone even though he eats a top quality organic kibble! I'd hate to have to choose between good nutrition and poop eating!

#24 ·
Most definitely, Karen. Tyler has been a poop eater forever. Since changing his food to a LID consisting of sweet potato and fish, he has no interest in it anymore. The transition has been amazing. Also, he absolutely loves his new food and can't wait to eat each of his two meals. Prior to the new diet, sometime he'd eat and sometime not. He also used to pick out a piece of kibble, put it on the floor and then chew it as though it was torture. It was painful to watch. What a difference!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.