Havanese Forum banner

Hair gathering in comb when grooming?

4K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  heatherk 
#1 ·
Hello,

Is it normal when combing a Havanese for hair to build up in the comb? It does not feel like I am brushing hard enough to pull the hair out, and the dog does not seem disturbed at all.

My reasoning was that the hair the dog sheds would just get caught in the coat, and so when combing the hair that was shedded would get caught in the comb and removed before it mats. However, after a bit more reading it seems a Havanese isn't supposed to shed AT ALL.

Any idea what's going on?

#3 ·
I always get some hair on the comb, especially after a bath. Compared to Nessie, my Aussie, who filled an entire plastic bag two weeks ago, what Jack sheds is nothing. I actually didn't notice when Jack blew his puppy coat. It must have happened but when you are chasing huge tumbleweeds of hair from an Aussie, a couple of extra combs of hair is missed.

Nessie has a triple coat which she shreds twice a year. It is a nightmare.

#7 ·
I have a bag full and Karen also has a bag full she separates Kodys hair (white and Black) I just have a mix:) Maybe it would be fun to start a club! You know I'll trade you some black for brown! we could all make a scarf or hat:pound:

#6 ·
All dogs shed, some more then others and its how they shed, our dogs shed more like we do and this hair gets caught in their coats and can cause matting you will not see much on your carpet, chairs,etc.. Our dogs are low dander dogs, dander is what bothers most people with allergies. You will see hair in the comb and brush this is good, means it will not wrap around other hair and cause a big matt, and sometimes more hair then other times. The undercoat makes a difference also, our dogs undercoat is mixed in with the top coat, my dog Yogi has a cotton type under coat it gives him big hair...makes him look wider and bigger, I get lots of hair on the comb with him. My girl Misty has a very silky top and undercoat, seldom a mat (itching too much and she will get a tiny one) easy coat to care for.

#11 ·
Rosie's hair reminds me of Mohair, so I know it would be easy to knit, but a lacy scarf. I gave up knitting. The last think was a little Red Riding Hood cape for granddaughter with baby yarn and tiny needles and it was a size 2. I thought I would never get done, so now don't want to even think about starting something.

#12 ·
I'm not going to spin and I'm not going to knot. I'm going to farm both jobs out... but I'm STILL gonna get my "Kodi scarf"!:biggrin1:

#16 ·
I know this is an old thread but found it when googling undercoat.

Had anyone here gotten havanese yarn made yet?

I want to do this at some point , but am concerned about the mixing with wool. I'm allergic to wool...I've gotten itchy hands just from hugging someone with a wool coat on. I have had issues with cashmere as well. I'm hoping that it could be combined with cotton. I have a sweater that is cotton and angora which I love.

#20 ·
I haven't actually done this yet . . .but do spin and knit and would imagine those offering this service would be willing to mix it with angora or cotton as every order would be custom anyway.

Does lanolin negatively affect you as well? Seems like lanolin is included in an awful lot of products.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App
Lanolin is a problem. And I always tell docs along with penicillin allergy. And one time when I had a metal splintery thing, they gave me this thing to clean the wound with...and I checked and it had lanolin! I had already started so I washed it off real good..I don't remember if it bothered me or not, the tetanus shot kinda distracted me. ;-)

I've had people tell me my reaction can't be that strong or fast. Other people claim it's chemicals used in refining wool and I also wonder if some breeds of sheep are more problematic than others. Who knows. It's hard to find good chapsticks with sunscreen in them and no lanolin.

#18 ·
I never knew about spinning dog's hair to make yarn, but I save the fur from each grooming session (only one per week due to the puppy clip) and in the Spring put it out in a net bag for the birds to use as nesting material. When we clean out our many bird houses each fall, we find some pretty plush nests. We have the most spoiled birds in the area.

#21 ·
Cey sheds SO much! Even now, at 2. His (very long, very pale) hair is constantly on all of my black clothes, my bags, etc. :(

I also collect it when I groom him. It would need to be washed to get the cornstarch out, but I was thinking along the same lines of trying to spin it and make something cool!

Karen, by a gallon is that just normally thrown in there, or stuffed down? I probably have at least half a gallon so far but not if I squish it all down :)

Anyway, yes, I concur with everybody else - no dog is actually non-shedding, even a Havanese, and apparently some havs shed more than others haha.

#25 ·
I think all wool needs to be cleaned before it is spun... It certainly is awfully dirty coming straight off a sheep!!!

I was told the gallon bag needs to be tightly packed to have enough to bother with. It has taken about a year to get a SOLID quart of Kodi's white hair... a lot less of the black. My guess is that by the time I'm done, I'll have 4 quarts of white and MOST of a quart of black.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.