Havanese Forum banner

Hair growth progress

92K views 442 replies 69 participants last post by  Laurmann2000 
#1 · (Edited)
I shaved down Louis completely on May 12, 2012. His body was done with a #7 (3.2mm or 1/8"). His face was done with a #10 reverse, ears with a #10 with the grain.

I will take pictures of him weekly to track his hair growth.
Here is what we started with:

Attachments

See less See more
#236 ·
I'm really enjoying your sweet progress photos!

I did my first big trim on Cass at the same time, and in that time I've trimmed her three more times. An average of every three months. The last was the other day. The static and matting just got to be too hard to manage. Her hair seems to grow fast though, and everyone here seems to love her in the shorter cut more.

#237 ·
Week 36

Louis has been experiencing bad diarrhea lately. He is on chicken and rice and it is settling his stomach. Long hair on the butt and loose stools is NOT a good combo! Thanks for all of your lovely comments, it keeps me going and AWAY from the scissors!

Attachments

#241 ·
It is is not hard to learn to groom. It just takes lots of practice. A good set of clipprrs will be your best friend. Try to follow the groom that you have, make little changes in the way you want the groom you want.

#242 ·
Week 37

Louis had a lot more matting on his rear legs and rump for some reason. I blame the wet weather and him laying down on wet hair. When it rains, his feet are so wet and nasty. I trimmed them shorter than last time. I know they look pointy and even his toes show through, but at least it stays cleaner! He also stepped in some kind of goop on one foot. I thought it was poop until it didn't dissolve in the bath, and I also had a hard time cutting through it. I shaved it off.

First pic is after the bath, before feet trimming.
Second pic is after feet trimming.
The last pic shows how dirty he looks right after grooming him! I took him out to potty and his beard and feet were a mess.

If you are interested in grooming your Havanese yourself, you can check out the Havanese DVD by Jodi Murphy. https://jodimurphy.net/shop/the-havanese/ - I have not watched this one, but if it is like any of her videos, it will be good!

Attachments

#246 · (Edited)
Week 38

If you have a dog that is scared of the force dryer, try using a Happy Hoodie. It's an elastic tubular shaped towel that fits snugly around their head to muffle the noise. Louis loves his! It also helps soak up the moisture on the ears. Ears take forever to dry so that's great! Second pic shows Louis's hair under the stand dryer.

Edit: added more pics!

Attachments

#258 ·
His hair is around 4-5 inches. I feel like it was 4-5 inches couple of months ago. I feel like it's not growing! Maybe because I see him everyday. His feet grow like a weed though. Watching the Hav on Westminster makes me groan cause it looks like I've got another year to go for the full drop coat.

I shaved him down for fun, and also his hair was stained when I got him. I wanted to start fresh.

#260 ·
I hear ya! I am letting my boys grow out, they were not shaved down. They were maybe 1-1/2 inches long in 2011 and they are still not full length coat. I am also finding out, I only have to comb every 2-3 days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.